Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: RamasGate. It's going to happen! 9-10Nov  (Read 1060 times)

Offline IanTheTooth

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
  • The past is a foreign country
RamasGate. It's going to happen! 9-10Nov
« on: June 19, 2018, 08:38:59 am »
For all of you looking for the best of riding available in the Southern and perhaps the Northern Hemisphere Iain McDonald's roof preparation event is going to happen in conjunction with the Natal WFO:

http://www.wforacing.co.za/ramsgate-challenge-9th-10th-november/

Starting from Trevor Kirk's farm, a lovely farm just off the Swartberg road, the event will take you up the side of the 'berg through Kok's gate or the more extreme climb if you are man enough for it and into Lesotho to do timed loops into Iain's 7 bridges event in the Tsoelike valley. Start planning now!  This is what Blake Gutziet thinks about it:

&feature=youtu.be

I've just noticed that there will be an "adventure" component to this event. I am sure this will fall into Stuart  Joyner's plate. A word of caution, those of you who've bought a KTM500 for this sort of thing will find this an absolute blast. I don't think it is aimed at the GS1200 brigade.   
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 09:18:34 am by IanTheTooth »
The dog that caught the car. What now?

Offline Rossdog

Re: RamasGate. It's going to happen! 9-10Nov
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 03:26:09 pm »
As good as the 500's are, you'll hate life riding that kind of terrain on one.
'69 Model.

Offline IanTheTooth

• Race Dog
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 06:28:45 pm »
Oh boy Rossdog! I can see that video rather spooked you! I have to confess when Iain first took me to show me this, the grand finale to the seventh bridge and the return to the top of the valley and home, that I felt very humbled and very small. He'd worked it out over the months on his Freeride and it's quite amazing to see how Blake Gutziet flattens it in this video. Don't worry, Stuart is too sensible for that kind of shit. ;)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 08:16:23 pm by IanTheTooth »

Offline Rossdog

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 08:57:27 am »
I love riding that kind of terrain, but a 250/300cc, preferably (for me) 2 stroke is the right weapon. I've never understood why riding in such ridiculous places is so addictive.
'69 Model.

Offline IanTheTooth

• Race Dog
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 08:12:59 am »
You have Erzberg, you have Romaniacs and you have Hells Gate, now you have a new hard enduro on your doorstep, RAMASGATE. The hardest one day enduro in Africa bought to you by the WFO Club.

RAMASGATE is setting its goal to be the best one day hard enduro race weekend in Africa. Focusing on giving riders unrivalled Lesotho and East Griqualand riding terrain and designed to harness the fellowship across all off road riding facets with a dash of East Griqualand hospitality we aim to create an off road riding weekend like no other. This event is taking place on the 9th and 10th of November 2018 from Chertsey farm, 8km outside Matatiele, providing the perfect venue close to the Lesotho Border post, RAMASGATE.

Providing entrants with the perfect Hard Enduro GPS rider training in the Lesotho Mountains leading up to the Roof of Africa in December this event is going to be one that you don’t want to miss. After much discussion with our local and international riders we have put together an event that caters for all riders in one weekend, providing a true challenge designed to enhance fellowship amongst all off road and enduro riders and their families. Added to this, this event provides the ultimate platform for all motorcycle manufacturers and motorcycle industry related businesses to engage with their target market in the most unique way. Hosted by the WFO club, who together with the Matatiele community, are pulling out all the stops to make this weekend really special and value for money. WFO Club Event Organiser Trevor Kirk says “ ….We intend providing a world class event in the Lesotho mountains to challenge bronze, silver and gold enduro riders. We have also incorporated an adventure bike ride that will compliment this race to ensure that the entire adventure bike riding, off road riding and enduro community have a weekend together like no other. We look forward to hosting this event and making it a weekend to remember”.

Entries will open on the 15th of June and will be limited to 300 riders so get your entries in for this value packed weekend. WFO have been able to keep costs down and give the riders a value for money weekend like no other at cost of R750 per rider including all logistics for the race, including supper on Friday and Saturday nights. There will be camping facilities available at the Start and Finish which is the same for both days of racing. Added to this there is plenty of accommodation available in and around Matatiele with Resthaven in Matatiele offering discounted prices for entrants.

The event will start with registration and the Prologue of 30km on Friday the 9th of November, between 12h00 and 16h30, from Chertsey farm just outside of Matatiele followed by a rider’s Braai while their bikes receive a complimentary bikewash before they are placed in the bike impound ready for the main race start on Saturday morning at 8h30.

The main race will start at Chertsey farm with a mass start similar to Erzberg, with the first stage of the route making its way through too RAMASGATE border post where there will be a 15 minute decontrol while you stamp your passport and refuel ready for the Lesotho Mountains that lie ahead in stage 2. This stage will start with bronze, silver and gold GPS tracks set by experienced Pros to ensure that the route tests your ability and fitness as you ride some of the most scenic and insane riding terrain available in Africa. Stage 2 ends back at the RAMASGATE decontrol for a passport stamp and refuel ready for the final stage back to the finish at Chertsey farm.

Making this event unique is that there will be a GPS Adventure bike route that follows the main route which will be an amazing adventure for the adventure biking enthusiasts. Adventure biking in the Lesotho Mountains on an adventure route while you have prime spectator opportunities to watch the hard enduro riders, you could not ask for more. We believe that the adventure bikers will enjoy being part this event with their fellow off road riding enthusiasts making this event a great success.

After an enjoyable days riding for all riders we will celebrate in true Matatiele style on Saturday Night with a few Sheep on the spit at the Matatiele country club with some interesting biker entertainment and presentation of your RAMASGATE finishers Medal. Please support this event and bring your family with to enjoy a wonderful weekend.

Offline IanTheTooth

• Race Dog
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 08:22:05 am »
I got an email saying that entries are now open
RAMASGATE - AFRICA'S HARDEST ONE-DAY ENDURO.
ENTRIES NOW OPEN.
   Our final event for 2018!

RAMASGATE, AFRICA'S HARDEST ONE DAY ENDURO.

You have Erzberg, you have Romaniacs and you have Hells Gate, now you have a new hard enduro on your doorstep, RAMASGATE. The hardest one day enduro in Africa bought to you by the WFO Club.
RAMASGATE is setting its goal to be the best one day hard enduro race weekend in Africa. Focusing on giving riders unrivalled Lesotho and East Griqualand riding terrain and designed to harness the fellowship across all off road riding facets with a dash of East Griqualand hospitality we aim to create an off road riding weekend like no other. This event is taking place on the 9th and 10th of November 2018  from Chertsey farm, 8km outside Matatiele, providing the perfect venue close to the Lesotho Border post, RAMASGATE.

WFO have been able to keep costs down and give the riders a value for money weekend like no other at cost of R750 per rider including all logistics for the race, including supper on Friday and Saturday nights. There will be camping facilities available at the Start and Finish which is the same for both days of racing with a tented village at R300 per tent.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION
REGISTER NOW
Copyright © 2018 WFO Hard Enduro Club, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you opted in via our website.

Our mailing address is:
WFO Hard Enduro Club
Marine Drive
Port Shepstone, KwaZulu-Natal 4240
South Africa
Add us to your address book
Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 07:45:12 am by IanTheTooth »

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 08:18:02 am »
Bllody ell! :eek:

Please keep us posted :thumleft:
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline IanTheTooth

• Race Dog
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 08:31:35 pm »
This weekend I went up to Iain's place to have a look at the GPS mapping of the Ramasgate challenge. It's a bit different to all of the other 7 bridges that I have been involved in because in November the Tsoelike river may easily be in flood so all the crossings are done using  the foot bridges.  The idea is to start off from Trevor Kirk's farm Chertsey on the Swartberg road and the first leg will be for all riders Pro, expert and hobby. At the top there will be a decontrol at the border and the hobby riders will be able to go to the spectator points to watch the action. There will be an inner pro loop taking in the most extreme parts of the valley and an expert route which will take an easier outer route largely along the paths I went along with Stuart Joyner. That's about as hard as I would like it! There is also an Adventure loop going around the excellent road to the North with spurs going off to the spectator points. I may post that so that you get an idea of the area.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 07:42:50 am by IanTheTooth »

Offline Coxwain

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Real men ride a pig...
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 08:42:05 pm »
Call me old ....call me stupid .....but WHY for the love of God would anyone want to do that ..... :eek7: :eek7: :eek7:
PIG LITE....Honda NX 650
Thel PIG... BMW R 1150 GS
The Black Bitch ...Yamaha XT 660 R Black Magic ....Yamaha XT 660 Z
Found my next ride .....BMW 1150 GS ...a mans bike

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 10:14:05 pm »
I love riding that kind of terrain, but a 250/300cc, preferably (for me) 2 stroke is the right weapon. I've never understood why riding in such ridiculous places is so addictive.

Why do you think Blake is exactly on that, a 2stroke? :ricky: :ricky:

Offline Ri

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 12:09:41 am »
@GraZer If you don't have a small 2-stroke, you could always commandeer SWAMBO's Freeride :peepwall: :lol8:

Offline IanTheTooth

• Race Dog
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 03:12:27 pm »
Completely by accident I stumbled on this video from Englishman Keith Maude. It contains a lot of footage from the area that 7 bridges is in and the abortive roof qualifier of a couple of years ago. At 2min 23sec you will see him make a complete c**t of foot bridge 5 (of the 7 in seven bridges) and a couple of seconds later the unusual sight of Iain McDonald throwing it away. Foot bridge 5 will be the first crossing of the Tsoelike river for the Pro and expert groups. I made a bit of a c**t of it too!

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 04:29:28 pm »
 :laughing4:
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Online BLK

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 05:04:54 pm »
I count my blessings that I'm too old for this now.Those guys are made of rock.

Thks for the footage,amazing stuff.

Offline IanTheTooth

• Race Dog
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2018, 04:22:23 pm »
Ian told me a story from when he had Keith Maude at his place that involved a waterfall high on the edge of the escarpment, a man clad only in his underpants, and a sudden attack of vertigo. I'll leave your imaginations to patch in the rest.

Offline Pom17

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Cobus van der Merwe
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2018, 09:05:32 am »
Completely by accident I stumbled on this video from Englishman Keith Maude. It contains a lot of footage from the area that 7 bridges is in and the abortive roof qualifier of a couple of years ago. At 2min 23sec you will see him make a complete c**t of foot bridge 5 (of the 7 in seven bridges) and a couple of seconds later the unusual sight of Iain McDonald throwing it away. Foot bridge 5 will be the first crossing of the Tsoelike river for the Pro and expert groups. I made a bit of a c**t of it too!

That was hilarious  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Offline Sonny

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2018, 04:07:49 pm »

whahahahaha, fucking hilarious

Offline IanTheTooth

• Race Dog
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2018, 10:04:37 pm »
For those of you going to the WFO/Rockrabbits Ramasgate Extreme Enduro this weekend I have just about finished the tracks and there will be some real riding to watch from the spectator points overlooking the course in the valley. Iain has had a complete rethink about the adventure ride portion and he has now re-done it to take the adventure riders straight to the spectator points for a more chilled weekend than the drag through Quacha's Nek.