Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Karoo 3 Fron tyres  (Read 518 times)

Offline AdventureBoy

Karoo 3 Fron tyres
« on: June 21, 2018, 09:43:42 pm »
Evening
I have just taken off the front Karoo 3 tyre from my 2016 Africa Twin. I have done about 11 000 km on it. What concerns me is the way its worn. The front of the knobs are more worn than the back, giving the impression that the knobs sloping to the front. The wear is not even across all the knobs, with some showing signs of much more wear than others. What is more concerning is that the wear on the LHS is different to the right hand side of the tyre. Of the 11 000 km I have done about 2500 - 3000 has been off road.

I recently replaced my back tyre (also a Karoo 3) at about 9 000km and the wear was even on the blocks as well as RHS and LHS. I could have done a bit more mileage, but was going on a trip and wanted to start on new tyres.

Has anyone had similar experience with the Karoo 3. I do not want to replace it with another Karoo if this is a common wear pattern. I would rather look at another option. I have been happy with the performance of the tyre, only the increased road noise from the standard tyres requires a bit of adjusting.

Offline yogidabear

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Re: Karoo 3 Fron tyres
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 06:39:01 pm »
What pressure are you running as the Karoo 3 is supposed to run fairly hard, and you do not deflate much or at all for dirt and sand? Maybe you were running them too low and that would account for the uneven wear.

There are a lot of people who like this tyre but I am not one, and right now my tyre of choice for the AT is the Pirelli STR https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-ww/motorcycle/all-tyres/sheet/scorpion-rally-str

Offline AdventureBoy

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 09:31:55 pm »
Thanks for that yogidabear
I run about 2.3 bar in the front. On a recent trip to Mozambique was the first time I did thick sand on the AT and battled until I deflated the tyre to about 1.2 bar. It was much better at that pressure. I will have a look at the Pirelli STR. 

Offline XRRX

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 09:47:16 pm »
Evening
I have just taken off the front Karoo 3 tyre from my 2016 Africa Twin. I have done about 11 000 km on it. What concerns me is the way its worn. The front of the knobs are more worn than the back, giving the impression that the knobs sloping to the front. The wear is not even across all the knobs, with some showing signs of much more wear than others. What is more concerning is that the wear on the LHS is different to the right hand side of the tyre. Of the 11 000 km I have done about 2500 - 3000 has been off road.

I recently replaced my back tyre (also a Karoo 3) at about 9 000km and the wear was even on the blocks as well as RHS and LHS. I could have done a bit more mileage, but was going on a trip and wanted to start on new tyres.

Has anyone had similar experience with the Karoo 3. I do not want to replace it with another Karoo if this is a common wear pattern. I would rather look at another option. I have been happy with the performance of the tyre, only the increased road noise from the standard tyres requires a bit of adjusting.

It's called "heel & toe" - and is perfectly normal for ANY semi aggressive tyre that is doing a lot of tar - in front!! It is actually braking on tar that is causing it...
The Karoo 3 is the best front tyre for all conditions I've ever tried!!!

Offline AdventureBoy

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 04:35:04 pm »
Thanks for that XRRX, what would cause the one side of the tyre to wear more than the other? Braking should provide even wear accross the tyre.

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 04:36:51 pm »
Camber of the road ?

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline AdventureBoy

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 07:54:03 pm »
Hi woody1
Camber may be the reason, however I am not aware of riding roads with steep cambers. They are there however. I gave the tyre to the dealer who fitted it and asked that the rep have a look at the tyre.

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 07:56:19 pm »
Most roads should have some camber to the left. Even a little bit of camber can be the cause I think.  :thumleft:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2018, 08:00:58 pm »
Camber... you should see what my old T63 looks like... :biggrin:

Offline yogidabear

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 08:24:57 pm »
The sahara by metzeler is awesome but its more road biased, and the Karoo 3 is the next step towards dirt. The idea being you dont deflate ever as the shape is supposed to allow extra traction on dirt and sand. The advantage obviously is you dont have to constantly pump your tyres up and down and I do believe that is a big advantage to that if you doing a lot of mixed riding. In practice I find you either doing one or the other at any stage so there are better tyres if you willing to deflate / inflate.

If we going to do 500km and not deflate with a mix of everything Karoo 3 but if you want to have more performance in dirt and prepared to pump there are better tyres for me :)