Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Not in a warm bed  (Read 620 times)

Offline Leftless

• shop.Africa-ADV.com
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • License Plate: LFTLSS-WP
    • Africa-ADV
Not in a warm bed
« on: June 24, 2018, 08:10:35 pm »
Ever had a day were you think “I should have stayed in bed”. 

I spent the whole week planning a quick loop for Sunday exploring some new tracks that I heard of.  I arranged access to some private land, confirm fuel at Stonehenge and meticulously plotted my track. Also. I haven’t been in the Karoo for a while so I was quite excited to ride there again. 

The plan was to heat out to Ceres, up Gydo pass, torr off and head through Winkelhaak farm toward Katbakkies.  From there head out to Stonehenge, pick up fuel and scout some new tracks before heading back to Ceres and head home.

So …, at 1:30 AM I receive a WhatsApp that my riding buddy can’t make it.  Their new chillen is not sleeping and he is on baby patrol.  Eish,  these new babies have an agenda of their own and could derail any good plan.  Stuff that, I’ll just go out solo.

So, up at 6:30 planning to be on the road at 7:30.  My bike does not have a side stand and it lives on a paddock stand in the workshop.  And this is where the crap started.  All kitted out, the last thing I do is put my glasses in my handlebar bag.  Doing this I accidentally release the paddock stand latch and the scoot ends up on its side.  FF@@CK

One broken mirror and gps bracket.  Get the bike back on its feet and start repairs.  Remove the broken mirror, find a replacement gps mount (I have lots) and refit that.  So now I’m an hour late.

Get on the bide and as luck would have it, outside Durbanville it started to rain.  Stop, get the rain gear out get dressed and set out again.  Now another 15 minutes delayed.

Starting to hear some electrical noise on my comms system.  With the fall I damaged my headset lead.  So, no more music on the trip.  Refuelled at Ceres.  Powering on the bike the electrics to the GPS goes.  Now I have ride om memory.  Not so bad heading out to Stonehenge but the new tracks to scout will be tricky.  Leaving Ceres my gps bracket came undone.  Stop refit that.  Again, the little tumble in the garage dislodged the mounting.   Once sorted I am another 15 mins delayed. 

So, the trip is shortened.  Reroute, Katbakkies, Karoo Padstal, and then home.  Not first price but still a great trip.

All in all, glad I did not go back to bed
One's ability lies in what you let yourself to believe is possible, and not the perceived limitations your body might have.

CB50, XR500, YZ465, FZ750, XL250, XL650R, GS1200, HP2, KTM690,  AfricaTwin-DCT

The following users thanked this post: RobC, eberhard, wilfwalk

Offline Grappa

Re: Not in a warm bed
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 08:31:27 pm »
Day well spent despite the hassle's. Any pic's of the rat rod on the trailer?

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 08:35:59 pm »
In the pics your bike is on a side stand. I don't understand....???

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 08:43:25 pm »
Oh dear  :imaposer:

Glad you had a good ride nonetheless. Is that a Houdini sidestand, or did you also fix it in the hour you spent fixing the broken mirror and GPS mount?
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline benreaper

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 09:02:13 pm »
Looks like a super fun trip. I also went through Ceres late this afternoon to visit a mate on a farm outside town.
I was on the roadbike though.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Offline benreaper

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 09:06:32 pm »
Day well spent despite the hassle's. Any pic's of the rat rod on the trailer?
Small hijack....

Not sure if Leftless has more pics, but coincidently I saw this rat rot on the trailer outside the Spur in Ceres as I passed through town, had to stop fod pics.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Offline Leftless

• shop.Africa-ADV.com
    • Africa-ADV
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 09:10:22 pm »
The bike normally stands on a paddock stand - that tiny bike lifts you on your plastic.  The side stand was up when my foot hooked the release.  Before I could catch it, it was on the floor.

The rat rod was at the padstal when I got there.  Not mine

Next time use the safety latch on the stand...   :o
One's ability lies in what you let yourself to believe is possible, and not the perceived limitations your body might have.

Offline Dux

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 09:25:46 pm »
Glad to see you still up and riding  :thumleft: , haven't heard from you in years
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2018, 09:29:47 pm »
Some great foties there.  :thumleft:

So, up at 6:30 planning to be on the road at 7:30.  My bike does not have a side stand and it lives on a paddock stand in the workshop.  And this is where the crap started.  All kitted out, the last thing I do is put my glasses in my handlebar bag.  Doing this I accidentally release the paddock stand latch and the scoot ends up on its side.  FF@@CK

This part confuses me. Still it does not distract from what seems to have been a great and interesting experience.
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline WrightJnr

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 09:45:48 pm »
I think he meant “my side stand was not down”.

Offline Leftless

• shop.Africa-ADV.com
    • Africa-ADV
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 06:07:29 am »
Yea, sorry, long day.   ???  The bike was on a paddock stand (does not have a centre stand) with the side stand up.  When I accidentally released the paddock stand the bike ended up on its side. 

Offline Leftless

• shop.Africa-ADV.com
    • Africa-ADV
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 07:04:06 am »
I have to confess - I'm an addict.  I really tried moving past this off-road biking phase in my life but, after about 30 years it is difficult to shake.  You think giving up smoking is tricky, try giving up biking.  At least there are nicotine patches for the smokers.  There ain't no off-road or adventure biking patches.   :P

Offline Dux

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 08:33:45 am »
I have to confess - I'm an addict.  I really tried moving past this off-road biking phase in my life but, after about 30 years it is difficult to shake.  You think giving up smoking is tricky, try giving up biking.  At least there are nicotine patches for the smokers.  There ain't no off-road or adventure biking patches.   :P

Too true  :biggrin:
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline Black_Hawk

• BackroadRiderZA
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com
    • My Towns A to Z
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2018, 08:49:16 am »
Thanks for sharing your ride. I'm glad that all ended well despite of all the "bad luck" you had before the ride.

I've sent you a PM, but I might as well asked here as well. I heard a rumour that the farmers managed to  declare that Winkelhaak/Droëhoek road as a private road. Did you had any issues on that road regarding closed/locked gates? If I'm not mistaken there are 3 gates on that road.
Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com

2010 F650GS (Sold), 2009 BMW F800GS, 2002 BMW F650GS (Sold), 1982 Honda XR 200R

Offline Leftless

• shop.Africa-ADV.com
    • Africa-ADV
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2018, 09:46:43 am »
Yea, there were three gates.  Travelling North the first was open, the second was closed but had a pedestrian entry point on the side and the last, as you rejoin the Tar at Houdenbek, was closed without a bypass.  There were some local workers that opened that gate for me without issues.    I was unaware of the pedestrian gate on the tar road. 

I did phone Houdenbek to get the number for Winkelhaak but to no avail.  They did talk to some other farmers by radio to confirm the bypass gates but did not mention anything about these being private roads.  There are no fences and the livestock to roam freely, so I will understand the farmers were concerned about the safety of the animals.  I travelled at about 20-30km/h in some places not to scare some of the animals.

I would imagine that they probably won't mind the occasional small group of bikes going through there if they are sensitive to the animals and their wellbeing. 

« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 09:50:09 am by Leftless »

Offline Black_Hawk

• BackroadRiderZA
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com
    • My Towns A to Z
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2018, 10:08:40 am »
Thanks for the update. Apparently at the last farm (just as you connect to the tar road from Op DIe Berg) there is a sign that say that the farm is in a trust with a contact number on it. I've been lucky the last couple of times that I've ridden that route. All the gates were open accept for the big gate that connect to the tar road, but just to the right of it there is a pedestrian gate.

It still stays a beautiful piece of road to ride in that "hidden valley" at Op Die Berg.
Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com

2010 F650GS (Sold), 2009 BMW F800GS, 2002 BMW F650GS (Sold), 1982 Honda XR 200R