Ashes tour

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OomD

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
With my mom's recent passing, and the rest of the family down in Dbn, I decided it might be a good time to do that solo trip. Needed to get her ashes down to the family, and I was in need of some riding therapy.

The route was simple, I had a few mountain passes on my bucket list that I thought I'd tick off, being Joubert's pass, Naude's neck, Lundean's neck, and Pitseng. I wouldn't make Lundean's with this trip, not having enough time in a day forces one to choose between that one and Joubert pass and I wanted to stay over in Lady Grey.

I was a bit hesitant about doing these passes solo, I supppose with maturity comes a bit of a sense of responsibility, and better risk management. After a brief post here on the forum I decided, "screw it, do it!" and started packing. Part of the prep was to have better tyres fitted, and all Bavarian had at the time was Anakee Wilds. I would've preferred Karoo 3's, only ever had pleasure with those, but alas they were sold out. I've heard a bit about Wilds before, and a while ago there was some serious anticipation for them, if I recall. It seems, though, there's a reason that Bavarian had them in stock while the Karoo 3's were all out.

In retrospect it is probably not a good idea to fit a tyre I have never used before, the day before embarking on a solo trip of few thousand km's.