Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Honda AT top box- any negative experience?  (Read 811 times)

Offline genie

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Honda AT top box- any negative experience?
« on: June 25, 2018, 02:55:17 pm »
I'm considering getting a Honda top box- my wife wants it for something to lean against/keep her from falling off. I don't like a top box- extra weight in the wrong place and does not enhance the styling! My take on top boxes is to get the OE version as the manufacturer normally would have tested it and the mounting brackets. Any negative experience with the Honda top box?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 03:24:13 pm by genie »

Offline Mpandla

Re: Honda AT top box- any negative experience?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 03:06:59 pm »
Just a general observation.. I dont have the Honda version, but my issue is how far back these boxes sit.
I use the box only for work commute. I dont like the placement of them. I think it sits too far back and places too much stress on the rear frame.
Have heard the Honda box itself is fairly good quality though
KTM 1190 R
Mpandla - The bald one

Offline Brewed_Coffee

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 04:05:11 pm »
I'm considering getting a Honda top box- my wife wants it for something to lean against/keep her from falling off. I don't like a top box- extra weight in the wrong place and does not enhance the styling! My take on top boxes is to get the OE version as the manufacturer normally would have tested it and the mounting brackets. Any negative experience with the Honda top box?

During a two week tour of Namibia last month, my mate of his Honda A/T has *Massive* vibration issues with his.  Riding alongside him, it was quite frightening see how the thing was pivoting up and down from poor support. Eventually, because we were afraid of the tailpiece breaking we ended up rigging a bit a support with web straps and plastic stays.
R1200GSA
F800GSA
Previous:- R650GS, R1100GS, R1150GS, R1150GSA, R1200GSA,R1200GSA,K1200LT

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 04:17:19 pm »
sub
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/c/DavidMorrisMedia

Offline Mpandla

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 04:26:21 pm »

During a two week tour of Namibia last month, my mate of his Honda A/T has *Massive* vibration issues with his.  Riding alongside him, it was quite frightening see how the thing was pivoting up and down from poor support. Eventually, because we were afraid of the tailpiece breaking we ended up rigging a bit a support with web straps and plastic stays.

Exactly my concern. It wobbles quite a lot. Thats why I only use it on my short commute
KTM 1190 R
Mpandla - The bald one

Offline genie

• Pack Dog
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 05:52:42 pm »
Hi Brewed Coffee, did your mate have a Honda top box? If not what make?

Offline Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250L
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 07:07:54 am »
The biggest issue fitting a topbox to the Africa Twin is the OEM plastic luggage rack. Thats the weak point. It will eventually crack and break if you use it offroad. Commuting it may last longer. Doesn't matter how strong the box adapter plate is the OEM rack will go first. The new Africa Twin Sports has a nice steel rack,something the Gen1 should have come out with.

Pass this way once!

Offline Mpandla

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 07:32:25 am »
The biggest issue fitting a topbox to the Africa Twin is the OEM plastic luggage rack. Thats the weak point. It will eventually crack and break if you use it offroad. Commuting it may last longer. Doesn't matter how strong the box adapter plate is the OEM rack will go first. The new Africa Twin Sports has a nice steel rack,something the Gen1 should have come out with.

Agreed.. and then the luggage plates tend to sit quite far back on the plastic rack as well. Quite a lot of movement on the whole setup
KTM 1190 R
Mpandla - The bald one

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 07:49:01 am »
I just did some price checking recently and Motorradical - SW Motech are more expensive than original.

I know they are aluminium and the OEM is plastic but the after market stuff used to be a lot cheaper

Offline TallPaul

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 07:27:06 pm »
I just did some price checking recently and Motorradical - SW Motech are more expensive than original.

I know they are aluminium and the OEM is plastic but the after market stuff used to be a lot cheaper
[/quote

I bought the Motoradical one, yet again, missing parts in the box, bolts to short, for the new brace system of theirs and FYI not first time they've let me down either.

They have done a very similar brace like the CAMEL fuel tanks ( youtube :
&t=185) . Feels Strong, but haven't tested it off road but hold onto to your temper, because it's a black art drilling holes blind into the under carriage. Mrs leans on it and i haven't lost her yet.

As a do over? I'd just put a flat luggage plate and softies.
Honda AT CRF 1000L - Because i just had to.

Go Green, Kawasaki KLR

Offline Captain Cook

• Pack Dog
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 10:42:18 pm »
I have the Honda top box and it does wobble/vibrate a lot.  I only use it for commuting.  Use soft luggage when I travel and go off-road. Got a nice bag from Flying Brick and a RockFox luggage plate.  I have the Honda panniers as well.  Must say those fit nicley

Offline dieseldawie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • I like to drink lots of beer
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2018, 08:42:28 am »
Got the trax on mine. Weight of that plus the steel mounting plate means that you can really only carry toilet roll in in without exceeding the weight limit. Have filled it full of beers once on way home makes bike feel very top heavy. Commute daily with my laptop bag and can feel its there. Only really useful for helmet storage when bike is parked. Did take do a 2 up gravel road tour, but only used it for very light items such as clothing etc.
Where are my shorts??

Offline TallPaul

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2018, 05:29:31 pm »
Ah, the good old days, with the GS. a whole case beer fits in the top box  :drif:

Honda AT CRF 1000L - Because i just had to.

Go Green, Kawasaki KLR

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2018, 06:48:46 pm »
Just ordered the OEM, the same key thing and the looks were the things that made me go in that direction

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 04:20:30 pm »
The only thing with the OEM top box is the way the latch works, it takes some getting used to.