BMW XCountry Not for the wife

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayakerll

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
Its been  a while since I was actively looking for a bike.

I used to rise (and love) my 2004 BMW Dakar. I sold it when I had too many hobbies in the Cape and then found a 150cc Sym scooter that I used to commute a lot.
Sold that when we left SA, we are now back and my wife's dodgy 150cc Bigboy scooter works surprisingly well but, I am getting tired of using it to commute because I am running at its top end often.

I am predominately looking for a commuter that can comfortably handle Cape wind, traffic and getting away from cars/taxis if necessary. I have no interest in going >130km/h and will probably cruise around 90km/h.

I am a BMW convert and think the XCountry looks awesome.
I am however 100kg and 6'3" (190cm). Seat height of the 2007 era xcountry seems to be about the same as the dakar...
Having never put a leg over one, am I dreaming thinking this bike would work for me?

It would be nice if the commuter could handle some dirt roads in case I feel like having a jaunt over the weekend... definitely not the priority though. Oh, I don't really want to spend more than R40k. I am actually looking at a cheap honda cbx twister even because they come out under R20k (We just had a baby so I don't really want to burn cash unnecessarily).