Ignition Connundrum

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mzee

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha Super Tenere
The key starts the bike very well, and it sits firmly into the lock.  However, I suspect that the tumblers inside the lock cylinder may be worn, damaged or the lock cylinder has failed.  I can start the bike, take out the key, and the motor will still run.  Now this is scary in many ways; for example, on a bumpy ride the key can eject; I will have no way of knowing when and where this will happen. 

I spoke to a Yamaha mechanic who  seem to suggest that I have to change the ignition assembly and also the  ECU that is linked to the immobilizer.

However if you look at the diagram attached, all I seem to need is 31, but it seems reasonable to include 32, new key, and 33,34,and 35 for aesthetic reasons.

I am aware that a new key will imply also changing the locks for the seat and any other associated locks( in my case only the lock of the seat.  I do have the original red key which allows me to duplicate new keys without having to change the ECU.

Your guidance please

Attachments

• Ignition-1.png
    Ignition-1.png
    50 KB · Views: 237