Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: What’s in you tool kit  (Read 509 times)

Offline Weedkiller - Adie

Re: What’s in you tool kit
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2018, 07:09:44 pm »
Also interested to see what the milk carton is used for  :pot:

Oom Adie, vertel ons asb meer oor hoe daai bead breaker werk.

1. Milk carton sorted.

2. The beadbreaker is actually so simple it can be made by anyone once they see the part hidden under the chain.  :peepwall:  The energy applied to brake the bead is actually so big it snapped a link of the chain while breaking the bead of a tubless 1200GS tire.

I think the biggest issue removing/refitting any tire is procedure.  I have talked to many 'I can do it better'  adventure riders and everytime I am amazed to hear how they use/not use lube,
how they battle to get the valve through the hole( tubed), how they go about to re-seat a tubeless  not pinch a tube etc etc.

My way is not the best but it works for me and is moerse efficient for both tube and tubeless.  A few years ago I bought a 1200 GS and decided to be prepared before I went on a 5000km gravel trip to Tzaneen. Took the rear wheel off and did more then 5 cycles to remove/replace the tire.  At first I could not get the tire to re-seat with Bombs or the small bike compressor.  Even the small workshop compressor battled.  the Mukulu 3phase did it like a snap.  I then realized the importance of lube an tire placement.  Now do it with the R300.00 Makro compressor. Still do a tube patch/replace in 40minutes from turning the key of the back on again and not really rushing. And using the milk carton  >:D

Must admit I also had a few screwups, but that was from talking kak and not concentrating after 4 punctures in 2 days.  :-[

Will do a little post on the beadbreaker and how I do the rest later in my LAWALAMP fred. http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226149.0

Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline Weedkiller - Adie

Re: What’s in you tool kit
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2018, 07:15:05 pm »
21" Spare Tube (21 can be used on my 17" rear if I cannot patch. I never use heavy-duty tubes, they take up too much space and difficult to patch)

The problem with patching is the correct solution.  As far as I can remember the thick tubes are made from a different compound that normal solution does not 'bond' to.  In any case only use Rema Tip Top and remember solution got a 'use before date'.  I found that out the hard way.

Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.