Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: What to buy and what Not to buy.... That is Today's question  (Read 422 times)

Offline Michael van Zyl

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
    • View Profile
So I went to check out a few of the clubs at the Vaal dam. I first went to PNYC then VCA and then Manten Marina.
My idea was to speak to some people about what 23-26 foot sailing yacht would be a good buy for my first boat, But I quickly found out each person has a whole different idea as to what you look for when buying a boat. I have very little knowledge of sailboats but what i have leaned is basically most people say stay away from Hunters, Jags and Mistrals. (apparently they are very old and you end up spending way more than you would want to).
Then its all about what I want to use it for Cruising or racing (Space/Speed),So from listening to a few guys i came to the conclusion that the Holiday 23 is the boat to buy next to the Keren 23 which apparently has the same hull but is a bit cheaper. I am not sure about the Stadt 23 which I saw a few of.
I have only been in a Holiday 23 so far and I love The inside of the boat its neat and spacious.
I am not sure if I want to spend so much money on a Holiday 23 at this stage tho, I feel i do not have enough knowledge to buy a boat at this stage and i would very much like to speak with more people and hear what they have to say.

Any suggestions on what to buy and what not to buy what to look for when buying?
BTW: I really Liked VCA and they seem like a awesome club to join, PNYC is a bit far from everything and Manten was just to much for me.   

Hate is to strong of an emotion to waste on someone you don't like
- Sixto Rodriguez

Offline 2wdrift

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • KLR Flip...
    • View Profile
Re: What to buy and what Not to buy.... That is Today's question
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 06:11:04 pm »
Well, what do you want to use the boat for?
XR650R the one and only
Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.  ~Stirling Moss

Don't worry my stutter is also bilingual...

Offline Coxwain

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Real men ride a pig...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 06:57:27 pm »
Some advise from an old sailor .....if you want excitement , stay away from the keel'ers
Buy a caravan and a catamaran and have the most fun you can have on water.
The romance of a keeler soon fades with the expense of the upkeep and the hassle ....Cats are just pure adrenalin. Look at Hobie 16;s ...Tigers , Darts Prindle 19,s if you can find one.

Just my advice ...use it....don't use it. 
PIG LITE....Honda NX 650
Thel PIG... BMW R 1150 GS
The Black Bitch ...Yamaha XT 660 R Black Magic ....Yamaha XT 660 Z
Found my next ride .....BMW 1150 GS ...a mans bike

Offline WeeStrom

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • Weeeeee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 09:36:40 am »
I have never sailed a Stadt, Holiday or Mistral, but I have spent many happy hours sailing and fishing with a friend on his Flamenca 25 here in PE. Small enough to sail by yourself but also enough space to take the family or a bunch of friends out for the day.
It has camping potential for a weekend or much longer if you are prepared to "rough it". I've always thought it could be put to much better use for cruising on inland waters where safe anchorages abound and night sailing is not required. At least compared to our stretch of unprotected coast where protected bays and harbours are few and far between.
It gets up to 5kts with very little wind and by 6kts you actually feel like you are flying - relatively. I have topped 9kts on my 13ft Gypsy and, as mentioned above, for pure thrill a beach cat or dinghy is hard to beat. But when the wind is light a pure racer can be frustrating. On a Flammy it is pure bliss.
That said, any boat design with sizeable fleets can provide "exciting" racing. It is not just about absolute speed, but the subtle reward of gaining on other boats because you have trimmed your sails just right and used small wind-shifts to your full advantage.

You will only know what really appeals to you once you have actually gone out and sailed. You should have no difficulty getting a spot on a yacht for a race or day sail - just ask around.

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 09:55:13 am »
Some advise from an old sailor .....if you want excitement , stay away from the keel'ers
Buy a caravan and a catamaran and have the most fun you can have on water.
The romance of a keeler soon fades with the expense of the upkeep and the hassle ....Cats are just pure adrenalin. Look at Hobie 16;s ...Tigers , Darts Prindle 19,s if you can find one.

Just my advice ...use it....don't use it.

I did a few days of sailing on a hobie and enjoyed it thoroughly.  But you can't sleep over on one.

Offline 1ougat

• The Commodore !!!
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • The Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 12:20:58 am »
You cant go wrong with a Holiday 23 -very usable boat , very active community and you will not loose money when you want to sell later - was a happy holiday owner with excellent memories on the Vaal - and you cannot go wrong with Manten Marina
Make mine a Boxer with a shaft!!!!
2006 R1200 HP2 !!!! - La Poderosa - "The Mighty One"
1965 R50/2
1996 R80 GS PD Classic
2010 1200 GS 1975 Suzuki AC50

Offline Rob_A

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 10:05:15 am »
You cant go wrong with a Holiday 23 -very usable boat , very active community and you will not loose money when you want to sell later - was a happy holiday owner with excellent memories on the Vaal - and you cannot go wrong with Manten Marina
+1 - Holiday 23 and Manten Marina. If you can afford it and are fit enough also a Hobie 16 that you can take with on holiday.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

There come  times in your life when you must say goodbye to the things you know & hi to the things you don't know.