Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The Belted Cows  (Read 981 times)

Offline Zonkelnut

• Whatever
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Yo! Sup?
The Belted Cows
« on: September 19, 2008, 02:00:21 am »
The other day I decided to go ride again, a bit. I try to stick to the back roads where there is more to see. So I came upon this strange place called Fearrington (N35 48.063 W79 05.489) (http://www.fearrington.com/). Now this place was started by a couple who visited Europe and decided they wanted to build the same type of country getaway in US. So they did and it is a very nice place to visit with little country shops and crap American food. Very much like Dullstroom used to be.

I had a huge argument the other day with a member of wise about me not seeing any other bikes than HD's or cruisers. He said I should ride more where upon I just smiled. But I am serious; I just donâ??t see the Adventure bikes and very seldom a speed bike, only in cities. I counted 3 BMW GS's and 1 650 GS that I have seen since I came to US. Very strange or I just donâ??t get the touring thing. But here are a few more HD's.

There I found the belted cows and goats (http://www.fearrington.com/village/cows.asp). Very strange but pretty.

After asking myself the 1000th time why did I waist my money on American food as I know it is crap, I left to a little town I have heard of called Climax (N35 54.776 W79 42.905). Now they did say the town was small and indeed it was. Just a fire station and some scattered houses. To the right of the pic is the fire station.
It seems like every state in US got a town called Climax. So, I guess I need to visit them all. This is the first one in North Carolina.

I reacon it was the smallest climax I ever experienced.

And on my way back at Chapel Hill I saw this art form (made out of sand) next to a railway diner. Very nice.

OK. That is all. Till next time.
100001 110010 1101010

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
Re: The Belted Cows
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 07:07:40 am »
Nice report ;D

Have you spotted any man eating hill billies yet?

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 07:30:50 am »
I really enjoy your RR's. Please do some more riding  ;)

Offline Misty

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • BMW650GS - DR650 - Triumph Scrambler 900 - BMW650G
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 10:14:38 am »
Looks like a nice little dorpie - enjoyed the pics and the climax ;)
... “There might be a few bumps ahead in the road, but luckily you are well trained in off road riding!” ... PS: for sure, I'm a lot tougher than I look!! ;)

Offline eSKaPe

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • As in "The Great Escape"
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 12:00:33 pm »
Nice pics and nice looking bike you have there.

Offline Skirt

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • life is just as deadly as it looks
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 12:06:39 pm »
Nice report - thanks.  I see the HD riders leave their helmets on their bikes.  Imagine trying to do that in SA.  ;D
Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with?  That's me!

Offline Zonkelnut

• Whatever
  • Yo! Sup?
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 03:20:01 pm »
Nice report - thanks.  I see the HD riders leave their helmets on their bikes.  Imagine trying to do that in SA.  ;D

Quit interesting your point as that was one of the points that amazed me to. Now if you look at my bike with the jackets hanging over the front and helmets everywhere and gloves and even my keys in the ignition, that is how I left my bike and went into the shops. Spend there for about 2 hours. Got back and everything there.

Other places like in the Smokey Mountains, I just left helmet and gloves and keys at the bike and took my jacket with me. But no theft. It is very upsetting and rattles you when you do it the first time and then it gets habit.
100001 110010 1101010

Offline Zonkelnut

• Whatever
  • Yo! Sup?
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 03:22:50 pm »
I really enjoy your RR's. Please do some more riding  ;)

Thanx tjomma, but i think i do the worst reports with just pics most of the time.

Mark, sorry but I really do lots of riding but very seldom take my camera out. Sometimes after I return I would take my camera out of my pocket and think, darn, I should have taken photos.

I always find it strange that people that do solo rides can take so much photos. I can not. Anybody, I think, riding alone gets so caught up in the flow that they just forget about photos. But with friends you always have to wait for someone and then you have lots of time to take photos.
100001 110010 1101010

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 03:46:53 pm »
they look like Bulls that are Shark supporters

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 07:56:01 am »
No theyre province players :P
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Skirt

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • life is just as deadly as it looks
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 10:27:30 am »

Quit interesting your point as that was one of the points that amazed me to. Now if you look at my bike with the jackets hanging over the front and helmets everywhere and gloves and even my keys in the ignition, that is how I left my bike and went into the shops. Spend there for about 2 hours. Got back and everything there.

Other places like in the Smokey Mountains, I just left helmet and gloves and keys at the bike and took my jacket with me. But no theft. It is very upsetting and rattles you when you do it the first time and then it gets habit.

I must admit that I would also find it nervewracking to leave my riding gear on my bike.  It is just nice to know that somewhere there is still respect for other people's property.  Enjoy your riding and post more reports.  :thumleft:
Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with?  That's me!

BigEd

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 10:42:07 pm »

BigEd

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 10:44:43 pm »

Hey D. Nice report/pic :thumleft: I prefer the pictorials - if I wanted to read, I'd get a book. Keep it up...

I never got used to leaving anything open or unlocked - my neighbour used to tease me about it.

Mooi man ;D

BigEd

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 10:47:54 pm »
I always find it strange that people that do solo rides can take so much photos. I can not. Anybody, I think, riding alone gets so caught up in the flow that they just forget about photos. But with friends you always have to wait for someone and then you have lots of time to take photos.

So true. When I'm on my own I just ride and sometimes stop for a smoke or a drink. I just plug in the iPod and singalong like a crazy farker all the way - no better way to clear the brain.