Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Aftermarket pipe options for Husky 701E  (Read 1446 times)

Offline drewdza

• Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • world leader pretend
Aftermarket pipe options for Husky 701E
« on: July 03, 2018, 03:28:58 pm »
Tired of the nuclear reactor pipe attached to my 701. Runs at 1000 deg C, weighs 10kg+ and sounds like a lawnmower. Husky dealer quotes R12k for Akro can :o

Any more affordable alternatives worth looking at? Wings distributors seems to have disappeared locally? Anyone ordered straight from the manufacturer?

Any useful input appreciated  :thumleft:
800XC

Online Rough Rider

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
Re: Aftermarket pipe options for Husky 701E
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 03:51:32 pm »
I have a Leo Vince on my 701 and an Akrapovic on my 690. The Leo Vince is half the price and looks & sounds better, although it is pretty loud.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 03:54:48 pm by Rough Rider »
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline Amsterdam

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 03:51:48 pm »
I have seen various people who have ordered directly from Wings.  Simple and much more affordable than the Akrapovic.
KTM 500 XCW, Husqvarna 701, KTM 1190 Adventure

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 04:14:26 pm »
Yup - order directly from Wings. Depending on exchange rate under R7K and sounds fantastic. If you leave one of the inserts in no need for remapping etc. You save +- 5KG from stock.
Imho Akra sounds the best but the Wings is a close second.

Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline Crop Sprang

• Mark It Zero
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 04:19:47 pm »
Ordered direct from wings......great service....easy peezy ........got to me in durban in 4 days......just over 6k......and a lekker t sirt as well....
Whatever you're thinking, think the opposite

Offline drewdza

• Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • world leader pretend
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 06:30:31 pm »
Thanks guys.  Appreciate the responses.  Wings seems the way to go 👍🏻
800XC

Online Rough Rider

• Hang time
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 08:33:21 am »
Yup - order directly from Wings. Depending on exchange rate under R7K and sounds fantastic. If you leave one of the inserts in no need for remapping etc. You save +- 5KG from stock.

Have you heard the Leo Vince?

Offline CDog

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 08:38:41 am »

@Rough Rider , I see you have both the 690 & the 701, in your opinion which is the better bike? I am on the market for either at the moment, and just cant decide which would be the best choice.
Thanks for the help!!!!

Online Rough Rider

• Hang time
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 08:49:46 am »

@Rough Rider , I see you have both the 690 & the 701, in your opinion which is the better bike? I am on the market for either at the moment, and just cant decide which would be the best choice.
Thanks for the help!!!!

In my opinion the 701 (2017 & up) makes a better Supermoto and the 690 with the older engine is the better enduro.

The 2017 engine with the balancer shaft produces its slightly more power higher up the rev range and has 1,000 RPM more on the top.
The 690 has more grunt lower down the rev range which makes it better in the slower technical stuff. .
There is slightly less vibration on the 701 but both are big bore thumpers and vibrate.
The 690 front forks are not as good as the 701.
The fuel tank on the 701 is 1 liter more.
The 701 (2017 & up) does not have the mapping switch under the seat like the 690. 
In my opinion the 690 looks cooler but that is subjective.
At the moment the 690 is a better deal cost wise.
Both are awesome and you won't really go wrong with either.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 08:52:07 am by Rough Rider »

The following users thanked this post: zebra - Flying Brick

Offline CDog

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 09:02:16 am »
Ok Cool....... thanks for the heads up.

I see the '18 690 is coming out with the balancer shaft now aswell, so should be just as smooth....... i am assuming that now they are the exact same motors?
I am looking for a bike that is used for commuting and playing (Enduro)....... with some serious touring (think Koakaland / Angola) as well. And just not interested a big heavy adv bike.

How important is that mapping switch on the 701? Did you ever use it?

I think the 701 is a better looking bike, as you said, subjective!!!! But the 690 also has a better trip meter, etc..........
For either bike, i would want to increase the standard fuel tank in any case!

Online Rough Rider

• Hang time
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2018, 09:18:13 am »

I see the '18 690 is coming out with the balancer shaft now aswell, so should be just as smooth....... i am assuming that now they are the exact same motors?
I am looking for a bike that is used for commuting and playing (Enduro)....... with some serious touring (think Koakaland / Angola) as well. And just not interested a big heavy adv bike.

I think the 701 is a better looking bike, as you said, subjective!!!! But the 690 also has a better trip meter, etc..........

I personally never use the mapping switch, but one of the settings is for poor quality fuel which you might need in darkest Africa. Im not sure how the 701 would deal with that you need to ask the question of the dealer.

The following users thanked this post: CDog

Offline w@nted

• Ride to Work and Work to ride...
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2018, 09:27:26 am »

Hi Cdog

I traded my 1200gs for the 2018 701. The 701 is an awesome bike and I do not miss the 1200 at all. I commute with the bike every day and play with it over weekends. Planning some trips for later as well. The 701 is an awesome all rounder with a grin factor  of note.

Just buy one, you wont be disappointed. I installed a 690 touring windscreen which made even long road sections  enjoyable. Off road this bike is a beast, and begs to be taken into technical terrain.

In terms of fuel, I installed the rade garage auxiliary fuel tank which adds almost 6L. The range now is 350km to 400km which is perfect for me.

I love this bike, but be prepared to spend a lot of money on farkles...  :deal:
Bikes: Honda CB1, Yamaha XT660R, BMW F800GS, BMW R1200GS DOHC, BMW R1200GS LC Trophy edition, Husqvarna 701 Enduro

Offline w@nted

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2018, 09:28:38 am »
Tired of the nuclear reactor pipe attached to my 701. Runs at 1000 deg C, weighs 10kg+ and sounds like a lawnmower. Husky dealer quotes R12k for Akro can :o

Any more affordable alternatives worth looking at? Wings distributors seems to have disappeared locally? Anyone ordered straight from the manufacturer?

Speak to Burp, he had a pipe made locally and he is very impressed  :thumleft:
Bikes: Honda CB1, Yamaha XT660R, BMW F800GS, BMW R1200GS DOHC, BMW R1200GS LC Trophy edition, Husqvarna 701 Enduro

Offline CDog

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 10:58:08 am »

Hi Cdog

I traded my 1200gs for the 2018 701. The 701 is an awesome bike and I do not miss the 1200 at all. I commute with the bike every day and play with it over weekends. Planning some trips for later as well. The 701 is an awesome all rounder with a grin factor  of note.

Just buy one, you wont be disappointed. I installed a 690 touring windscreen which made even long road sections  enjoyable. Off road this bike is a beast, and begs to be taken into technical terrain.

In terms of fuel, I installed the rade garage auxiliary fuel tank which adds almost 6L. The range now is 350km to 400km which is perfect for me.

Hey Wanted:

Thanks for the feedback....... much appreciated.

Yeah, i'll be visiting both Dealers this weekend and finalizing my choice,  however,i have to admit that i am leaning more towards the  Husky....... purely based on looks however ;-)

I have noticed that Farkles for both bikes dont come cheap.....and staying in line with this thread, this first farkle to be changed would be the pipe ;-)........ but not @ 10k for a Akra............ :-\

Online Rough Rider

• Hang time
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2018, 11:01:30 am »

Hi Cdog

Hey Wanted:

Yeah, i'll be visiting both Dealers this weekend and finalizing my choice,  however,i have to admit that i am leaning more towards the  Husky....... purely based on looks however ;-)

I have noticed that Farkles for both bikes dont come cheap.....and staying in line with this thread, this first farkle to be changed would be the pipe ;-)........ but not @ 10k for a Akra............ :-\

You loose the warranty if you don't fit the Akra 

Offline CDog

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2018, 11:04:13 am »

Hi Cdog

Hey Wanted:

:deal: - Sometimes we cant win  :o

Anyone Know of any dealers running specials where they  "include" this in the deal? I know KTM is good at doing this just before they launch a new model.......

Offline w@nted

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2018, 11:05:37 am »

Hi Cdog

Hey Wanted:

:deal: - Sometimes we cant win  :o

Anyone Know of any dealers running specials where they  "include" this in the deal? I know KTM is good at doing this just before they launch a new model.......

I financed the akra pipe with my bike. I am sure all dealers can do it.

Offline w@nted

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2018, 11:07:59 am »
Just remember, the Akrapovic pipe is a kit which includes the slip on, modified lid for the standard airbox (more open) and the performance fuel map.

Offline Noneking

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2018, 12:03:23 pm »

I ordered pipe direct from Wings in Slovenia a year ago. R5300 delivered to my door within 5 days. Awesome service and great quality

Recently ordered a SC Project for my 1090  direct from factory in Italy. Very good quality, but poor communication and service from them. Took just more than 5 weeks for delivery
2007 KTM 990 S
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline CDog

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2018, 12:21:09 pm »
Just remember, the Akrapovic pipe is a kit which includes the slip on, modified lid for the standard airbox (more open) and the performance fuel map.

Didn't realize this.... thought it was just the slip...... lekka thanks for this....... lets see what the dealers say!

Those Rade tanks are gorgeous, but come with a price tag attached ;-)