Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Tiger 800 XcX - Wind Noise & Buffeting  (Read 907 times)

Offline springhaas

Tiger 800 XcX - Wind Noise & Buffeting
« on: July 04, 2018, 11:14:21 am »
Hi All,

I'm sure this has already been addressed on another post - if so please point me in the right direction.

I have recently bought a Tiger 800 XCX and all is good barring the small hurricane that is constantly blowing around my head.  On other forums (international) it seems a bit of a hit and miss to solve this.  What work for one does not work well for somebody else.  Also not all the options are available in SA.

I'm around 1.84m tall and ride on the high seat position.  If I stand upright the wind noise goes right down to a pleasant hiss and my head is stable but when I sit down it is more of a roar with buffeting.  I have a Shark explore-r helmet.

Have anyone experienced this and how did you manage to solve this?

Thanks! 

Offline DouglasN

• Vendors
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
Re: Tiger 800 XcX - Wind Noise & Buffeting
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 03:02:15 pm »
The science behind how screens work is a black art.  When you stand up, you get your head into clean air and clean air is first prize everytime.  In my experience it is either a moer big screen to hide behind or a very small or no screen.

I have a '14 XC and just fitted the adjustable screen kit, I found that using it at it's lowest setting helps quite a bit.  I am going to test it on it's highest with an extension as well for the touring rides.

On my Tiger 1050, I tried literally everything, I had all sorts of shapes and sizes, with and without extensions and eventually just cut the screen in half and that was brilliant and didn't look bad either.  On the XC, I would take off the screen, but then the bike is pretty fugly.
-----------------------
Douglas Norval
HAVAL/GWM Fourways

The following users thanked this post: springhaas

Offline springhaas

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 04:24:02 pm »
The science behind how screens work is a black art.  When you stand up, you get your head into clean air and clean air is first prize everytime.  In my experience it is either a moer big screen to hide behind or a very small or no screen.

I have a '14 XC and just fitted the adjustable screen kit, I found that using it at it's lowest setting helps quite a bit.  I am going to test it on it's highest with an extension as well for the touring rides.

On my Tiger 1050, I tried literally everything, I had all sorts of shapes and sizes, with and without extensions and eventually just cut the screen in half and that was brilliant and didn't look bad either.  On the XC, I would take off the screen, but then the bike is pretty fugly.

Thanks! - this helps.  The adjustable screen kit that you used on your '14 XC is that the OEM part #A9708218?

Offline DouglasN

• Vendors
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 05:31:13 pm »

yes it is

Quote from: springhaas on Today at 16:24:02

Thanks! - this helps.  The adjustable screen kit that you used on your '14 XC is that the OEM part #A9708218?

-----------------------
Douglas Norval
HAVAL/GWM Fourways

Offline Oilspill

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 11:23:44 am »
Well  the standard XCX screen is useless and people have tried everything.  What worked for me was actually very simple,  I added a bigger than normal extension on to the top of the screen that is about a third of the screen.    It works perfectly, even in hectic wind from the side with no buffeting.   What I did was buy a cheap extension kit, which helped but did not resolve the issue, and then made my own pollycarb bit and used the fittings from the bought extension.    This I made by tracing out the shape of the top of the standard screen on a piece of pollycarb offcut and using a heat gun to curve it slightly.  Be careful you do not need much heat.   Result perfect wind protection on and off road.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 11:24:43 am by Oilspill »

Offline hawkeye

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 06:55:14 am »
Pictures ???

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S33°54.712 E018°28.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 07:43:32 am »
@springhaas we have two LOAN wind deflectors that you are free to loan for 3 days, just to CHECK if it/they make a difference BEFORE you throw money at other solutions.

Buffeting is often the Dark Art as mentioned here, quite often a well-placed deflector ‘ahead’ of the screen surface, and at a different ANGLE , can really assist, whilst still letting in SOME air, preventing a very high pressure vs low pressure differential (prevention of the ‘tombstone’ effect)

Cheers
Chris & Team

Ps: we have 5 brands of deflectors in stock, but 2 mst popular on loan...
bike@flyingbrick.co.za CHRISTOPER L 021 510 6455  service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455
sales@flyingbrick.co.za ANDRE 021 510 6455
orders@flyingbrick.co.za WERNER 021 510 6455
info@flyingbrick.co.za CHRIS G

Offline springhaas

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 10:33:16 am »
Thanks.

I got the OEM adjustable screen kit and in all honestly it just "shifts" the problem.  At it's lowest it is best at higher speeds but still I get this buffeting around the helmet that is irritating as it moves the helmet from side to side ever so slightly, although better than what it was at it's default position. 

I was about to pull the trigger on the OEM touring screen but will first try out a deflector as suggested.  The bike is currently at MHM for a service - I will pick it up on Saturday and will then drop in at Flyingbrick!     

The following users thanked this post: zebra - Flying Brick

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S33°54.712 E018°28.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 12:57:51 pm »

Quote from: springhaas on Today at 10:33:16 am>Thanks.

I got the OEM adjustable screen kit and in all honestly it just "shifts" the problem.  At it's lowest it is best at higher speeds but still I get this buffeting around the helmet that is irritating as it moves the helmet from side to side ever so slightly, although better than what it was at it's default position. 

I was about to pull the trigger on the OEM touring screen but will first try out a deflector as suggested.  The bike is currently at MHM for a service - I will pick it up on Saturday and will then drop in at Flyingbrick! 
noted, - see you then
Chris & team   

bike@flyingbrick.co.za CHRISTOPER L 021 510 6455  service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455
sales@flyingbrick.co.za ANDRE 021 510 6455
orders@flyingbrick.co.za WERNER 021 510 6455
info@flyingbrick.co.za CHRIS G

Offline Herklaas

• Do it, you only live twice.
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 10:35:47 am »
 :sip: I rode the new 2018 800 xca and could not believe the improvement they made with the redesign of the screen. It has a 100 x 15mm  hole in the middle of the screen and that gets rid of the buffeting. there are also two deflectors, one each side, of the screen that helps a lot.
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.

Offline Oilspill

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 08:08:59 am »
:sip: I rode the new 2018 800 xca and could not believe the improvement they made with the redesign of the screen. It has a 100 x 15mm  hole in the middle of the screen and that gets rid of the buffeting. there are also two deflectors, one each side, of the screen that helps a lot.

Oh you lucky barstard,  we don't get those in Cape Town.    But the new screen makes sense, because by putting on a larger than normal top screen deflector, together with the indent shape of the OM screen, I get a nice hole in the middle and no buffeting.   Think I need to check out the  design of the side deflectors and see if I can make some up, though I don't really feel the need for anything extra, but maybe it will help a little bit more for side winds.

Offline Oilspill

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 08:10:24 am »
Here are the requested pictures. Sorry for delay.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk