Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: AJP model PR7 - coming to SA  (Read 20155 times)

Offline erey

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Carpe Diem
    • 790 Blog in french
Re: AJP model PR7 - coming to SA
« Reply #100 on: August 06, 2018, 04:59:01 pm »
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 04:59:54 pm by erey »

Online Mayhem

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Do it in the dirt
« Reply #101 on: August 06, 2018, 05:25:10 pm »
 :sip:
BMW 1150 Adventure (gone)
BMW HP 2 (gone)
Ducati 500 Pantah (gone)
1200 LC Trophy Edition (gone)
BMW R 1200 Rallye, Husqvarna 701 Enduro

Offline TK

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Life's an adventure, enjoy the ride.
« Reply #102 on: August 06, 2018, 06:07:02 pm »
I'm in contact with Antony Teale.

"I am busy negotiating to get one of the bigger motorcycle companies on board to sell and service the AJP’s as they have branches in Johannesburg and Cape Town . We will definitely get you a bike so not to worry about this. The pricing will be around R141,995.- odd as it depends on the exchange rate at the time of purchase."

dirtbikeafrica.com

Considering the price of bikes and then the extras then that's not a bad price

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #103 on: August 06, 2018, 07:57:09 pm »
There is one potentially serious problem that everyone seems schtum about - the engine that is being supplied by SWM still has quite a major flaw. Those of us with the TE610/630's know of it and it has not been rectified in these new SWM engines (design and parts remain the same as the previous Husky TE630). Why I do not know?

It is the weak cup washers on the clutch basket that are the problem. They wear prematurely and literally disintegrate into the engine. The solution is relatively easy and quite cheap - you replace them with upgraded hardened washers. It does involve drilling the rivets and replacing them and the washers at the same time but then they are basically good for the life of the bike. This problem is extensively well documented on Husky sites and a few guys have made the replacement washers and sold them (even a guy here in SA). The AJP does have a cush hub so the wear will be reduced a bit but it will certainly still be there (the springs and washers on the clutch basket are a cush system). Guys on Cafe Husky have tried to alert SWM and AJP without success. It does seem a bit crazy to redesign a bike and hand build it but put an engine in it with a known and easily fixed weakness.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 10:59:37 am by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701 Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Online sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Beware the 250 roost !
« Reply #104 on: August 06, 2018, 08:14:57 pm »
Maybe they upgraded the washer material or are they still failing in SWM AJP bikes ?
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline Fransw

« Reply #105 on: August 07, 2018, 09:53:40 am »
There is one potentially serious problem that everyone seems schtum about - the engine that is being supplied by SWM still has quite a major flaw. Those of us with the TE610/630's know of it and it has not been rectified in these new SWM engines (design and parts remain the same as the previous Hueky TE630). Why I do not know?

It is the weak cup washers on the clutch basket that are the problem. They wear prematurely and literally disintegrate. The solution is relatively easy and quite cheap - you replace them with upgraded hardened washers. It does involve drilling the rivets and replacing them and the washers at the same time but then they are basically good for the life of the bike. This problem has been extensively well documented on Husky sites and a few guys have made the replacement washers and sold them (even a guy here in SA). The AJP does have a cush hub so the wear will be reduced a bit but it will certainly still be there (the springs and washers on the clutch basket are a cush system). Guys on Cafe Husky have tried to alert SWM and AJP without success. It does seem a bit crazy to redesign a bike and hand build it but put an engine in it with a known and easily fixed weakness.

Thanks BD! Let's hope AJP fixed this problem!...

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #106 on: August 07, 2018, 11:00:25 am »
Maybe they upgraded the washer material or are they still failing in SWM AJP bikes ?

Wishful thinking - still spaghetti from what I gather on Cafe Husky.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701 Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

Offline Fransw

« Reply #107 on: August 07, 2018, 01:23:53 pm »

Luckily its a small issue! Hope they can sort it out!

I really like this scooter! :thumleft:

Online sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Beware the 250 roost !
« Reply #108 on: August 07, 2018, 01:26:34 pm »

Luckily its a small issue! Hope they can sort it out!

I really like this scooter! :thumleft:
Yes but still no one wants a new bike that you know you will need to open the engine up and remove the whole clutch basket.
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline Renrew

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Fcuk’em
« Reply #109 on: August 07, 2018, 01:42:06 pm »
The bike looks cheap to me... Those indicators, shiny swingarms with the anodized red. Makes me think of a chinese bike / puzey combo.

And the name sounds kak, even worse than Puzey.

That price is a brand new 500 six days with extras and a tank. More power, likely better suspension and a crap load of dealers available. The Tablet=meh, fairing=meh and the cush hub is nice although easy to get.

Not overwhelmed by it, might be different riding it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kraftfahrzeuge Trunkenpolz Mattighofen
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 950R Super Enduro_0km ;)
KTM 300 XC-W

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #110 on: August 07, 2018, 02:29:33 pm »
These engines are very different to a 500 or a 690/701. Although they were raced as SM's and even in the Dakar at one stage they are not designed race bikes (or derivatives) per se - they have wider ratio boxes, make different power, are not high revving and can chug the technical. You are unlikely to get an instant boner getting on it but it has stamina and prowess  >:D 

Regarding the styling - remember this is Portuguese with Italian influence - passionate bling of a different sort.  8)

Offline Slasher

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • AJP is here
« Reply #111 on: August 07, 2018, 03:01:45 pm »
You need to watch out as there are two models available - one is only 48hp ( the one that goes in to Australia ) and the 60hp one that is coming to sunny South Africa. This is the 48hp model with the upgraded ECU, air-box intake and Doma exhaust that is a performance free flow. You can see the difference easily as the 48hp model has the shorter silencer cannister when compared to the 60hp model which is much longer so not too noisy.
2018 AJP PR7

Offline Fransw

« Reply #112 on: August 07, 2018, 03:51:03 pm »
The bike looks cheap to me... Those indicators, shiny swingarms with the anodized red. Makes me think of a chinese bike / puzey combo.

That price is a brand new 500 six days with extras and a tank. More power, likely better suspension and a crap load of dealers available. The Tablet=meh, fairing=meh and the cush hub is nice although easy to get.

Yes, the 500 is awesome, but you cannot really compare it with the PR7. Compare the 690/701 with the Pr7..

Offline Fransw

« Reply #113 on: August 07, 2018, 03:52:09 pm »
You need to watch out as there are two models available - one is only 48hp ( the one that goes in to Australia ) and the 60hp one that is coming to sunny South Africa. This is the 48hp model with the upgraded ECU, air-box intake and Doma exhaust that is a performance free flow. You can see the difference easily as the 48hp model has the shorter silencer cannister when compared to the 60hp model which is much longer so not too noisy.

Are the service intervals the same for the 48hp model?

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #114 on: August 07, 2018, 07:45:01 pm »

Yes, the 500 is awesome, but you cannot really compare it with the PR7. Compare the 690/701 with the Pr7..

I don't think you should be doing that either as I said above. Very different style powerplants and trannys.

Offline Slasher

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • AJP is here
« Reply #115 on: August 08, 2018, 10:17:39 am »
There is one potentially serious problem that everyone seems schtum about - the engine that is being supplied by SWM still has quite a major flaw. Those of us with the TE610/630's know of it and it has not been rectified in these new SWM engines (design and parts remain the same as the previous Husky TE630). Why I do not know?

It is the weak cup washers on the clutch basket that are the problem. They wear prematurely and literally disintegrate into the engine. The solution is relatively easy and quite cheap - you replace them with upgraded hardened washers. It does involve drilling the rivets and replacing them and the washers at the same time but then they are basically good for the life of the bike. This problem is extensively well documented on Husky sites and a few guys have made the replacement washers and sold them (even a guy here in SA). The AJP does have a cush hub so the wear will be reduced a bit but it will certainly still be there (the springs and washers on the clutch basket are a cush system). Guys on Cafe Husky have tried to alert SWM and AJP without success. It does seem a bit crazy to redesign a bike and hand build it but put an engine in it with a known and easily fixed weakness.
This is from the AJP technical engineer yesterday -

There was a concern with the TE630 regarding this subject, although this problem wasn't reported in any motorcycle sold from us or we don't receive any report/concern from SWM regarding this subject.
We've motorcycle across the world with 40-80 thousand miles, and other that we don't have any knowledge, riding without any problem in the clutch basket.
With the best regards,
Telmo Castro
2018 AJP PR7

The following users thanked this post: Fransw, erey

Offline Ventana

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • De Colores!!
« Reply #116 on: August 08, 2018, 11:03:24 am »
Looks stunning imo.  The argument to go smaller rather than bigger makes so much sense on so many levels - particularly in an African context..  One has to understand the design limitations of a bike in this class - you're not going to pack the kitchen sink and strap your pillion on the back - for that the bigger bikes make more sense....but considering the application the AJP is designed for it most certainly finds a niche that is very attractive.....If I had the money I would very seriously consider buying.......
"Never look down on anyone, unless you're helping them up"

Offline bradleys

• Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
« Reply #117 on: August 08, 2018, 05:52:10 pm »
This  bike looks great  cant wait for it to arrive and try it out.
ROUTE DIFFICULTY
1 = tar
2 = good gravel /pillian friendly
3 = interspersed with sand, mud, sand , bush / not pillian friendly
4 = lots of sand, technical riding 5 = expert only

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #118 on: August 08, 2018, 05:55:35 pm »

This is from the AJP technical engineer yesterday -

There was a concern with the TE630 regarding this subject, although this problem wasn't reported in any motorcycle sold from us or we don't receive any report/concern from SWM regarding this subject.
We've motorcycle across the world with 40-80 thousand miles, and other that we don't have any knowledge, riding without any problem in the clutch basket.
With the best regards,
Telmo Castro

Yes ignorance is bliss. It often surprises me even with the big brands like BMW how little they actually listen to the customer that actually RIDES the bikes. How long did it take BMW to change the stupid air intake snorkel position on the GS? I recall explaining the issue to a German R&D engineer out for the first GS Challenge. He was so shell shocked as it was by what we were doing with the bikes maybe he did not understand. Anyway lets see - who actually knows maybe they have uprated them but personally I doubt it. He does acknowledge though there was a problem with the TE610/630 - they are though buying in the motors not making them. 

Offline Fransw

« Reply #119 on: August 09, 2018, 10:37:50 am »
Big Dom, maybe we must give these guys a chance! I think they are on to something here!

What else is available? The overweight(by 50kg) TenereT7 or the fat ass(by 50kg) 790Adv?...no thank you!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 10:43:30 am by Fransw »