Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: AJP model PR7 - coming to SA  (Read 20190 times)

Offline Fransw

Re: AJP model PR7 - coming to SA
« Reply #160 on: August 21, 2018, 10:54:04 am »
Grease comes in various colours marine grease is normally blue. What you probably didnt see in the video is the assembler pack the bearing before fitting it..

Oh , I see, thanks!

Interesting video, I like! :thumleft:

Offline Fransw

« Reply #161 on: August 21, 2018, 10:55:33 am »

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #162 on: August 21, 2018, 11:12:20 am »
Grease comes in various colours marine grease is normally blue. What you probably didnt see in the video is the assembler pack the bearing before fitting it..

Well you wish as much  ::)

White grease normally lithium based - very good for loaded bearings.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701 Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #163 on: August 21, 2018, 11:14:00 am »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701 Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #164 on: August 21, 2018, 11:18:48 am »
Horror!! Check how the steering head bearing gets greased. No wonder that almost every manufacturer head bearings kak prematurely.

My Yamaha XT600's head bearings show zero signs of wear, at 100 000kms, and I am sure they were greased like that..

It's the quality of bearing that make them last or fail prematurely.  That is enough grease, and two turns of the handlebars has the entire roller surface coated.

Steering head bearing can never have too much grease imho - just a surface coating not enough in my book  ???  But yes quality is vital as is adjustment and avoiding power washing that area (water ingress). Most have a dust seal that helps - I also fitted an o-ring at the bottom last time I did my Husky.

Offline Rough Rider

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
« Reply #165 on: August 21, 2018, 11:22:07 am »
Not too impressed, no grease on the linkage, no loctite anywhere, no torque wrench, vicegrip on the chain WTF.

At lease the air filter is in the right place, although I would have preferred a foam filter.
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #166 on: August 21, 2018, 11:30:28 am »
Not too impressed, no grease on the linkage, no loctite anywhere, no torque wrench, vicegrip on the chain WTF.

At lease the air filter is in the right place, although I would have preferred a foam filter.

I also wondered a bit about the linkage having completely rebuilt mine on the Husky and was appalled at the condition at less than 15000km. I must say I packed and slathered mine - cannot remem,ber on the AJP if there are grease nipples?
I did see a torque wrench on the fork triple clamps and am presuming the air wrench was also torque set. I saw Nylock nuts - bolts may have loctite pre-applied. Yes a UNI type foam filter and sock would be nice but at least the airbox and intake is well placed.

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #167 on: August 21, 2018, 11:39:13 am »
I've been on bearing manufacturers courses where it was explained very plausibly why it is unnecessary, and sometimes detrimental to 'cram' bearings with too much grease.

I'd also like to have it explained plausibly though why a bike needs two radiators and two fans?

Seems to me, that's only needed on two bikes.  ???

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #168 on: August 21, 2018, 11:46:08 am »
I've been on bearing manufacturers courses where it was explained very plausibly why it is unnecessary, and sometimes detrimental to 'cram' bearings with too much grease.

I'd also like to have it explained plausibly though why a bike needs two radiators and two fans?

Seems to me, that's only needed on two bikes.  ???

Please share the very plausible detrimental effect too much grease may have.

Two radiators as I understand are really just for ease of fitting and servicing - also cheaper to replace one half than two (enduro bikes a good example). Two fans mean both can get extra air across them, and yes if one goes the other works. That said KTM enduro bikes generally have only one fan but two radiators.

Offline Hennie

• Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
  • I am a Christian Zionist
« Reply #169 on: August 21, 2018, 11:48:54 am »
In 2010 I paid R75K for my brand new Husky TE610i, it was a fair price.

In 2018 basically the same thing will cost R140K+. Is it still a fair price, taking inflation into account? Should be R120K rather.

Thing is, if I have R140k in my pocket, do I buy this bike (very little dealer support), or do I rather go for 690/701?
Science finds God behind every door they open, but they open those doors long after men and women of faith have been there and gone - Wendy Wippel

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Zionism/christianzionism.html

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #170 on: August 21, 2018, 11:56:49 am »
In 2010 I paid R75K for my brand new Husky TE610i, it was a fair price.

In 2018 basically the same thing will cost R140K+. Is it still a fair price, taking inflation into account? Should be R120K rather.

Thing is, if I have R140k in my pocket, do I buy this bike (very little dealer support), or do I rather go for 690/701?

Sound observation and question.  :thumleft:

Offline Mayhem

• Do it in the dirt
« Reply #171 on: August 21, 2018, 12:14:36 pm »
This is the problem I'm having now. I would like a 17/18 701 with pipe and under seat tank used, not likely to find one easily or I can get the AJP with tank and pipe for same price as a new 701 without extras. What to do???

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

BMW 1150 Adventure (gone)
BMW HP 2 (gone)
Ducati 500 Pantah (gone)
1200 LC Trophy Edition (gone)
BMW R 1200 Rallye, Husqvarna 701 Enduro

Offline Fransw

« Reply #172 on: August 21, 2018, 12:15:09 pm »

I also wondered a bit about the linkage having completely rebuilt mine on the Husky and was appalled at the condition at less than 15000km. I must say I packed and slathered mine - cannot remem,ber on the AJP if there are grease nipples?
I did see a torque wrench on the fork triple clamps and am presuming the air wrench was also torque set. I saw Nylock nuts - bolts may have loctite pre-applied. Yes a UNI type foam filter and sock would be nice but at least the airbox and intake is well placed.

I think its the fast forward version of the built/video!..

Offline Buff

« Reply #173 on: August 21, 2018, 12:18:16 pm »

I'm just thinking out loud now... most good bearings are prepacked but we add more, just in case or to seat the bearing and seal. Once the bearing has mated with the surface and coated the bearings where does the extra grease go? No where, it just oozes out the side and lies there collects dust after that which is also not ideal.
On a linkages, I've heard that if you add extra grease between your dust cover and the dust seal, if can actually cause an hydraulic type lock on your linkage when torquing it up. I'm not sure how true this is but after doing mine recently I can believe it possible.
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Fransw

« Reply #174 on: August 21, 2018, 12:27:04 pm »
This is the problem I'm having now. I would like a 17/18 701 with pipe and under seat tank used, not likely to find one easily or I can get the AJP with tank and pipe for same price as a new 701 without extras. What to do???

:lol8: I'm basically in the same boat! I like this thing!

If you look back at the bike discussions/wishlists then this is exactly what many have been waiting/hoping/wishing for!..

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #175 on: August 21, 2018, 05:00:35 pm »
Dealer support is grossly overrated. Some dealerships are actively avoided post purchase.

I'd have no hesitation in buying one of these. Almost every part except the frame and plastics is common to a number of other bikes anyway.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #176 on: August 21, 2018, 05:04:19 pm »
Dealer support is grossly overrated. Some dealerships are actively avoided post purchase.

I'd have no hesitation in buying one of these. Almost every part except the frame and plastics is common to a number of other bikes anyway.

Even ordering parts on-line nowadays is so easy, I would just stock an extra pair of service items.

Offline Mayhem

• Do it in the dirt
« Reply #177 on: August 21, 2018, 05:08:43 pm »
I'm not worried about dealer network, as said they are full on BS anyway. AJP will supply any warranty parts and I can maintain and repair the bike myself.

BMW 1150 Adventure (gone)
BMW HP 2 (gone)
Ducati 500 Pantah (gone)
1200 LC Trophy Edition (gone)
BMW R 1200 Rallye, Husqvarna 701 Enduro

Offline Rough Rider

• Hang time
« Reply #178 on: August 22, 2018, 09:23:55 am »

I'm just thinking out loud now... most good bearings are prepacked but we add more, just in case or to seat the bearing and seal. Once the bearing has mated with the surface and coated the bearings where does the extra grease go? No where, it just oozes out the side and lies there collects dust after that which is also not ideal.
On a linkages, I've heard that if you add extra grease between your dust cover and the dust seal, if can actually cause an hydraulic type lock on your linkage when torquing it up. I'm not sure how true this is but after doing mine recently I can believe it possible.

The amount of grease is a fine line, too little is bad too much equally as bad.
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #179 on: August 22, 2018, 09:34:36 am »
Grease is used as waterproofing on off-road bikes, not only a lubricant.
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!