Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: AJP model PR7 - coming to SA  (Read 20565 times)

Offline RobLH

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Re: AJP model PR7 - coming to SA
« Reply #360 on: February 15, 2019, 01:56:00 pm »
Waiting for my 210m ronts  :imaposer:

Offline bradleys

• Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
« Reply #361 on: February 25, 2019, 05:01:12 pm »
Will make a plan to come see the bike soon, need to see you guys soon.
ROUTE DIFFICULTY
1 = tar
2 = good gravel /pillian friendly
3 = interspersed with sand, mud, sand , bush / not pillian friendly
4 = lots of sand, technical riding 5 = expert only

Offline Beserker

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #362 on: February 26, 2019, 07:16:32 am »
Will make a plan to come see the bike soon...

+1 - would like to see it in the "flesh"
My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

Offline Slasher

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • AJP is here
« Reply #363 on: February 26, 2019, 10:00:41 am »
Will make a plan to come see the bike soon, need to see you guys soon.
Am available anytime !
2018 AJP PR7

Offline Slasher

• AJP is here
« Reply #364 on: June 05, 2019, 11:31:32 am »
Am back from my 4,500km tour to Natal on the dirt. Tracks, trails, twee spoor, rock passes, dirt roads, etc. The AJP PR7 performed like a star and didn't miss a beat even with my 30 kg's of spares & luggage. I still have one new one left for sale that I imported directly from Portugal.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 10:02:19 am by Slasher »
2018 AJP PR7

Offline MiniDan

« Reply #365 on: June 05, 2019, 11:40:50 am »
Am back from my 4,500km tour to Natal on the dirt. Tracks, trails, twee spoor, rock passes, dirt roads, etc. The AJP PR7 performed like a star and didn't miss a beat even with my 30 kg's of spares & luggage. I still have one new one left for sale that I imported directly from Portugal.

Do you have a RR out?

Offline Slasher

• AJP is here
« Reply #366 on: June 05, 2019, 12:37:29 pm »
Do you mean this - ( rally raid / adventure )
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 12:38:30 pm by Slasher »
2018 AJP PR7

Offline Bikerboer1973

• Groot Suzuki aanhanger maar eindig altyd op met 'n Honda!
  • Darem al weer 'n Honda XL185 plaas fiets.
« Reply #367 on: June 05, 2019, 12:58:37 pm »
Think @MiniDan means a Ride Report off your trip, with some pic's please  :thumleft:
Tans.
Honda Xl185 plaas fiets
Vrou se NC700.

Offline MiniDan

« Reply #368 on: June 05, 2019, 01:27:57 pm »
Think @MiniDan means a Ride Report off your trip, with some pic's please  :thumleft:

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline Fransw

« Reply #369 on: June 05, 2019, 01:49:54 pm »
You guys are messing with my mind! :xxbah:

This is exactly what a lot of us have been wishing for!

Please share you ride report!... :thumleft:

Offline Slasher

• AJP is here
« Reply #370 on: June 05, 2019, 01:54:52 pm »
Ride report will be in Superbike Magazine this coming month so please keep an eye out for it.
2018 AJP PR7

Offline Bikerboer1973

« Reply #371 on: June 05, 2019, 02:29:08 pm »
Ride report will be in Superbike Magazine this coming month so please keep an eye out for it.

I don't buy those so you are going to have to put it up here on WD's as well!
Tans.
Honda Xl185 plaas fiets
Vrou se NC700.

The following users thanked this post: katana

Offline Slasher

• AJP is here
« Reply #372 on: June 07, 2019, 02:32:28 pm »
Monday 15 April 2019 saw 4 “old” friends from the late 70’s/80’s reconnect for a once in a lifetime opportunity to ride across our awesome country, from the picturesque Langebaan on the West Coast of SA, to PMB, the capital of Kwa Zulu Natal, some 2300 k’s? away, 95% of which would be on dirt roads & tracks. What pulls 4 guys together, that back in those days, shared a deep friendship via their passion for off road bikes & windsurfing? Adventure biking of course.
Goose’s story -
Sunday 14th April was forecast to rain in the morning so my planned route up to Langebaan was diverted to the tar R27 Weskus pad.
By 2’ ish the rain was predicted to have moved off so the morning had me packing and planing for the next 3 weeks on the road.
Your life needs to fit into a giant loop bag .. This shows how little we actually need to survive and have a good time.
All packed and re packed then re packed ... Only the bare essentials came along.
There was also some camping in the pipeline so I also opted to carry tent, mattress and sleeping bag.
This all went onto the outside of the Giant Loop and ended up being very compact and light.
I got up to Langebaan around 5pm and the boys were all chilling, getting final prep sorted for the morning.
Antony and Esti got us a nice dinner from there little surf bar by the Cape Sport Center.
Lekka - thanks
We all chatted and swopped stories from the past 25 years and what we had been up to , life , etc ..
Early to bed !
Monday 15th April
Early start after a quick brekkie.
The lads were looking forward to a leisurely pace along the dirt tracks Antony had planned.
Grant, Antony's buddy popped past to say cheers and safe travels and just gave me a heads up to keep an eye on the "old man".
My duties were to follow at the back.
We had 3 radios, chopper 1,2 and 3
Some nice compact sand roads, all damp from the recent rain had us back roading all the way to Gouda in good time.
We had a quick visit with Freddy.. at the Gouda Bike Forge where he restores old vintage motorcycles. This is a nice place for a Sunday outing.
Bit of tar into Ceres, fill up, grab a bite to eat at the Spur then Tankwa Karoo here we come '
Ant had some more surprises in the route which I have not done before - nice !
The route took us on tracks and trails to Laingsburg where we spent the first night.
Mike, Con and myself all made frequent stops for photos which I was very happy about.
Chopper 1 was a bit far ahead most of the time for us to make use of the two way radios to tell him we just getting some pics.
Tuesday 16th April
Laingsburg, south towards the R62, through Seweweekspoort, back roads to Swartberg Pass , up and over into Prince Albert. Spectacular route, brilliant views from the top !!
We had a late lunch in Prince Albert then had to chase a bit to get to Jumpers place in Willowmore. Time ran out a little with us getting there at twilight.
The folk looked after us well, great steaks and some lekka kak praat !
Wednesday 17th April
Jumpers east to what we call the " back of Baviaans". Also new to me ! Very nice trails, lots of gates though.
Con was spotting places from his ride on the Freedom Challenge MTB race so we made some stops and wow how cool it was to be invited in and offered lunch and a coffee by these kind folk ont Buckland’s. Buckland’s was the one place we must visit again and stay over.
Just arrange it with them and one just needs to arrive for 5 star biker stay over.
After lunch it was east bound through the Eastern Cape game farms towards Addo where we spent the night at Casting of Turds Guest House / Orange Elephant Back Packers – absolutely great and convenient eating spots on the property saving you having to dress up again and go out to eat, and a nice place to stay.
Nice chilled place with a bar and pizza joint next door and a coffee shop that does breakfast - sorted ! A word of warning – be very careful of the Kudu on the roads going there as they come out of nowhere – an excerpt from Angus -   “ Con was about 200 / 300m ahead of me, there was a kudu on the road reserve on the left, Con startled it, I slowed down but the kudu bolted full speed across the road slamming head first into the fence on the other side. I could have been the fence !!!!
Thursday 18th April
We started heading north, Zuurberg 4 x 4 trail just out of Addo , lots of dirt , stones & ruts – we passed Annie’s Villa which was an old blacksmith stopover for ox wagon repairs after the brutalities of the Zuurberg Pass. We even followed an old train line at one stage where the tracks had already been removed, I saw umpteen old ox wagons lying around from days gone by.
Bedford has a nice little coffee shop where the 4 rough bikers had lunch and the fellow travellers stopping there were all interested in our travels.
My Africa Twin had blown a fork seal so it was here that I made some calls to arrange for the parts to be collected in Maritzburg.
Good news was my brother in law in PMB was able to pop to their dealer and get a set for me.
After lunch we continued north along more dirt roads.
There were some thrills and spills !
Mike had an “off” around a sharp bend, the bike landing on his ankle, Con had two punctures on the freshly graded road.
Tough buggers this lot so we were back on the road in no time.
Anthony and Mike chased into Tarkastad to seek medical care and sort our accommodation for the night.
Con and I were left in the wilds to fix punctures and then we rewarded with a spectacular full moon rise .
What a spectacular evening in a beautiful part of the country.
We rolled into town way after dark.
One has to watch for potholes and animals on the tar road leading into Tarkastad.
Friday 19th April
Tarkastad east we trundled on, Mike “Voltarened up”, spectacular scenery, still green from recent rains.
Lots of history in this part of the world. Many old bridges and farm ruins from by gone era’s.
Dordrecht had some fresh out the oven steak pies so that’s what we ate to avoid the Easter crowds travelling home to the Eastern Cape.
What a pleasure not to be on the tar roads. We saw little to no traffic whereas the main roads were chaos.
We bumped into a group of guys from PE all on Africa Twins.
They were also destined for Rhodes.
We took the more off the beaten track roads, passing Rossouw , Barkley East , Mosheshes Ford Farm , a very scenic journey.
Anthony had luggage issues - his carrier bracket gave up. This man has all the tools for the job, and some, so in no time he had welded :-) up a plan and we set off again.
Our average speed was around 30 km/h so Ant chased the photographer's up a bit if we were to get to Rhodes by nightfall.
We gave in and "raced" to our destination.
Rubicon - what a nice spot.
Lekka chow , superb rooms , lots of space !
..... (Owner of Rubicon) got chatting to us and warned us of a weather system moving in and advised us to leave no later than 7am the following morning.
Saturday 20th April
‘Hop along’ ( Michael from the bike landing on his foot ) had us up at the crack of dawn , all packed and on the road by 7am
The storm moved in from the Free State , over Lesotho and followed us like a hungry lion all the way to Underberg.
A call was made to ‘cancel’ the last night in Underberg and head straight to Maritzburg.
My brother in law had popped out to spend the last night with us but also agreed that due to the rain forecast it was best to head on home.
Rain it did - solid for the next 4 days. 100+mm of rain – chaos in Natal
No Riding, just some bike maintenance and you tube videos on how to replace Africa Twin for seals.
I spent a week in Maritzburg with friends and family , attended a family wedding on the north coast then took some Natal pals on a little adventure ride in their own back yard. Ant went on and visited all his mates from many years ago in the PMB & Durban areas before heading home on his own. He took 5 days back to Langebaan along the dirt roads and some tar with one section of 100km taking him 3 hours.
After that it was a 3 day journey back to the Cape for me.
Ok so there is a whole other story on part 2 but you had to be there :-)
Let's just say I know a lot of places ………
Ant your route was amazing. Lots of new roads and places for me.
The days, although short in distance were long in travel time.
We could have added some stop overs and brought daily distances to between 200/250 km.
Budget was also spot on. Thanks. ( a note from the navigator – yes we will definitely shorten the days on the next trip and add a few extra nights in, 300km and more per day is too far and is a problem if there are punctures involved )
We usually mix in a bit of camping to make things a bit more affordable, carrying the extra bits is a hassle though due to added weight & volume, but well done on finding budget friendly places that are actually 5 star.
Looking forward to planning the next one for winter next year.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 10:55:20 am by Slasher »
2018 AJP PR7

The following users thanked this post: jaybiker

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #373 on: June 07, 2019, 08:28:02 pm »
Not much of a bike review, but who cares? Great ride report!  :thumleft:

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #374 on: June 07, 2019, 08:48:11 pm »
 :useless: :useless:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701 Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline ianb

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • BMW R80GS. KTM 790R
    • BLOMEYERS
« Reply #375 on: June 08, 2019, 08:56:41 am »
Slasher i just realized .I was at Coffeeberry  Cons coffee shop .The table next to you chaps when all the biker mates came in for breakfast. I am mates with Con and know Bruce and a few chaps that came to say Hi. It was raining and Con said you chaps were going back to Cape town.  Small world.

Offline Slasher

• AJP is here
« Reply #376 on: June 10, 2019, 10:13:49 am »
Wow! ianb - it is a VERY small world, Con is a good mate of mine from many many years ago, see you next time I am in PMB
2018 AJP PR7

Offline Slasher

• AJP is here
« Reply #377 on: June 10, 2019, 12:02:42 pm »
2018 AJP PR7 Adventure – personal ride report
Wow ! wow ! wow ! this is a beautiful adventure motorcycle to look at and ALSO ride.  The only real comparison I have is to my Honda XR650L that has a Uni filter free flow air cleaner, fully jetted carb for adventure riding ( not a huge main jet for performance ) and economy, header pipes and a FMF Q4 / FMF Power Core 4 silencer.
There are two models of the PR7, the racier one that goes to the USA ( they actually race them in the USA ) that does not have indicators and is not road legal over there and the standard model that is road legal. The standard version pushes out 48 hp and the USA model pushes out a healthier 60 hp. The model we get into South Africa is the 60hp that is completely road legal and is on the NaTis system already.  The USA / SA model has slightly bigger holes in the air intake cap, a differently programmed ECU unit and a complete Doma performance exhaust system that is remarkably very quiet in comparison to my FMF Q4 that I have on my XR650L. 
Although on some websites you see it described as a 650 it is only a 600 cc single cylinder that is fuel injected. I like the idea of the tank being under the seat as it made the bike feel very light and ‘ flicky ‘ The motor is from Italy and is made by SWM, a very old name in motorcycling that has been around for many many years. They also produce a 600cc single adventure bike but it does not look anything like the PR7 but more like an old maid.
•   The looks are stunning with the new 2018 grafix on, the cherry red wheel hubs, cherry red wide style footpegs, cherry red rear brake lever, cherry red front fork tubes, etc
•   The rear of the seat has a PR7 logo embroided into it and it really finishes off the seat neatly. The seat is firm yet extremely comfortable and didn't give me a hassle all the way to Natal and back
•   Swinging a leg over the seat you notice straight away that it is lower than the XR650L and ones feet touch the floor a LOT easier.
•   Hand controls are laid out well and easily reachable like any good bike these days.
•   The clutch and front brake are both hydraulic and the clutch is super light to pull and release
•   Once underway pulling the front brake stops you very quickly and I even managed to lock the front wheel on the tar doing a ‘ quick stop ‘ at very slow speed, it certainly opened my eyes. On the XR  I am used to really pulling the front brake lever hard to stop quickly but the PR7 needs much less pull to stop the bike really quickly. Great front brakes with a large diameter thick wavy Galfer style disc that looks chic. Rear brakes also have a Galfer style wavy disc on.
•   Riding the bike slowly and short shifting ( the Langebaan guys always curse at me for short shifting the XR but it has loads of grunt so does not need high revs to ride it ) was easy and it pulled well if suddenly given a handful of throttle. As the revs rise the demon awakens and it takes off like a rocket. The Doma free flow exhaust does not shout at you and is relatively quiet when running hard. My FMF Q4 on the XR is a lot louder and this is supposed to be the quiet version of the FMF silencer for the XR650L.
•   It comes standard with a Android Tablet mounted into the tower which functions as a GPS as well.
•   If you had to try to get a KTM 690 or a Husqvarna 701 up to this ‘ adventure ‘ state it would cost a minimum of R35,000.-. Bigger tank, GPS, alu bash plate, rally fairing, wide footpegs, etc, etc
•   https://www.ajpmotos.com/en/models/trail-en/pr7-adventure-600-en/
Dislikes –
-    The side stand kicks back up when any weight is taken off it. This is a Euro 4 requirement and is easily remedied by hacksawing off a small pin on the side stand pivot screw. Very easy to do and I will for sure cut mine off. You will see this on a lot of bikes now that have to comply with Euro 4 to be able to sell bikes in various countries with these requirements.
-   The rear view mirrors also were attached via a system that you would put on to a bicycle and looked really awful. They are in the process of upgrading these so as to screw on to the clutch & brake lever perches as per any normal bike. The clutch side already has provision to screw the mirror into but the front brake side lacks this. I have changed these already with mirrors that cost R100.- each and one side mirror mount that cost R80.- so not a big problem at all, it is a trivial complaint.
-   Not sure how to put on a center stand as the 5mm thick aluminium bash plate covers the entire bottom of the motor. This we will look at and see if there is a solution.

General  summary –
This is a bike that you purchase off the showroom floor and need to ADD NOTHING as it has it all. The only thing I need to add is a set of soft luggage racks but that one would need to add to any bike to suit the style luggage one would want to carry.
ALL the parts on the bike are really good quality items from levers to footpegs to bash plate, simply everything.
 The dashboard comes with Andriod GPS system and place for two round accessory dials – voltmeter, USB port, Cigarette lighter ??  These you can retro-fit with what you want there. You merely have to cut out these pre-marked roundels.
I used the Oruxmaps app for the tablet GPS but it is an extremely complex app that needs a lot of effort put in to understand it. I am getting better at it but it is still ‘way above my head’ so will still take some time to get used to. I give the tablet an email address and email my pre-planned GPX routes to it which I download onto it. As you then open Oruxmaps it lets you open the GPX route that then shows on the tablet map.
Ride impressions summary –
•   The motor is very smooth and not a lot of vibration can be felt if any – I certainly didn’t notice any
•   Runs well at low revs and has lots of low end grunt
•   Seat height is lower than the XR650L and very comfortable. It has a non-slip covering.
•   Soft pull hydraulic clutch that engages well when pulling off from a standing start.
•   Side stand Euro 4 specification NOT cool as it retracts if any pressure comes off it like when trying to push the bike. It will wack your shin pretty hard if you do not pay attention. An easily fixable problem
•   Bars are at a good height so standing is in the correct position for a rider of 1,85 meters . They are a lot higher than the standard XR650L bars. They are also a nice width to give stability at speed in the rough.
•   Digital speedo with fuel gauge, trip meter, large speed read out, neutral light, high beam, flicker warning & total kilometers travelled.
•   Two halogen headlights, the dip light with a park light in it and a lensed bright high beam light
•   Acerbis hand guards that have an aluminium bar in them to protect the levers properly when falling over
•   Twin exhaust port head with Titanium headers
•   A combination of square metal tube and moulded aluminium frame
•   17 litre under-seat tank that will take you approx. 350 km at a normal speed. It is still filled up from the normal petrol tank cap area so there is not a problem with having to remove ones luggage to fill the bike each time. On our dirt trip to Natal I got between 24 - 28 km/litre riding between 60 – 90 km/hr
•   Cush drive rear hub to stop the jerkiness of the single on the road – it made the ride smooth
•   Galfer style wavy discs front & rear that gave the wheel a killer look and really stop you quickly
•   Thick 5mm aluminium bash- plate that was very well mounted to the underside of the frame and is easily removable
•   Wide footpegs as standard with very good grip lugs for the boot. They have the screw in pins so if it is overkill some can be screwed out to suit.
•   Light-weight rear swingarm hollowed out where it crosses from one side to the other to strengthen it.
•   Completely clear see through screen that does not get in the way of your sight while sitting on the seat.
•   Great quality Domino grips & switches
All in all a great bike that I was VERY impressed with.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 12:21:11 pm by Slasher »
2018 AJP PR7

Offline Beserker

• Agito ergo sum
« Reply #378 on: June 10, 2019, 12:59:10 pm »
The dashboard comes with Andriod GPS system and place for two round accessory dials – voltmeter, USB port, Cigarette lighter ??

Do you have pics of the setup?, or more detail on the spec of the electronics?

Edit   see the pics, but would like to know:

- The spec of the unit,
- Is is easily remeoveable should ypou want to change it out for another tablet?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 01:03:42 pm by Beserker »
My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

Offline Bikerboer1973

« Reply #379 on: June 10, 2019, 01:25:23 pm »
Nice thanks for report! What is the service intervals again?
Tans.
Honda Xl185 plaas fiets
Vrou se NC700.