Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: KTM 640adv or Tenere 660?  (Read 1599 times)

Online SmuGS

• A very quiet
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Only 96 144 km
    • View Profile
Nee wat vlekkelose ek kuier op my lekkerste tussen die rokers,dronkgatte,vloekers,hoere en ander sondaars  :imaposer:
1150gs,  KLE 500, XT660R.

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
    • View Profile
Re: KTM 640adv or Tenere 660?
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2018, 03:10:18 pm »
if you are looking for a commuter 660 for sure

if you want a trip bike and the odd commute and something that moves your heart strings then get the 640

life is to short to always make the sensible choice - if you want the 640 get the 640!

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • View Profile
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2018, 03:12:36 pm »
660 'R' here, Cloud, ignore the side tanks, it is the only pics I have...

and DEFINITELY ignore the 'space ship' box on top... :biggrin:
Chris
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 03:13:30 pm by zebra - Flying Brick »
Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S3354.712 E01828.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S3354.712 E01828.208

Offline Stroke Her

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • When the river runs red take the dirt road instead
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2018, 03:36:03 pm »
My 2 cents worth...and seeing the Rand is tanking this 2 cents ain't worth much...

I have owned 2 640's....and they are really nice bikes.

Basically a proper dirtbike with rally size tank (28l) and relatively good suspension.
They vibrate a lot but you get used to it. Rims are made of cheese. Rear suspension is weird size so getting a stiffer spring is PIA. When tuned and serviced correctly they do go very well. Sustained high speed high rpm use feels like you are  killing the motor. High compression ratio so everything is more "stressed". Does have wire bypass for low grade fuel . Fuel consumption on mine were between 16 and 20km/l pending wrist action. Carbed...and its a Mikuni vacuum carb...so simple but not great. Put breather filter on carb otherwise you ingest dust. Service intervals about 7500km I think...requires two oil filters.

XT660z...I have only had one...and it is a white one. It is heavy, under powered and boring. Tank is 25l after filler neck mod. Rims also made out of cheese. Low compression ratio so low power but low internal stress. Fuel injected. Rear sub-frame strong enough for any passenger you may pick up whilst wearing beer goggles. Fuel consumption around 17-21km/l pending wrist action. Service every 10000km...valves only every 20000km.

Of all my adv bikes I have owned...and I have had a few...I have asked the most of the XT660z. This may be me maturing as a rider...I dunno. See my Kaokoland ride report. It summarize the confidence I have in the Yammie.

With the KTM I was always relieved when it started...and when I completed a trip without issues. With the Yammie I turn the key and expect nothing else.

The Yammie may be very vanilla compared to the KTM but I will choose it anytime over the 640 ragardless of what the KTM fanboys may say. The Yammie doesn't look half bad either.

I was hell bent on buying a KTM 690. One decent test ride on a mates XT660z and the rest is history.

YMMV

Offline Dorsland

• Forum Whore
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • View Profile
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2018, 03:42:09 pm »
660Z - Land Cruiser
640 - Land Rover
 :peepwall:

So that means I've got 3 Cuisers?  Damn, lucky me.

I went for a ride on Saturday with mine again and I really really like this bike.  I have said it before and say it again; if they still offered these for sale new, I'd buy one in a flash.  It's solid, reliable, cheap to run and service, looks great (especially in white or that beige like Sidetrack's old bike), has everything you need and none of the gizmos you don't. 

Wait, I'm going outside to go take another look at mine and drool.

I never owned a KTM but reliability issues and cost put me off.  Good 660Zs can be had for around R55k - R60k, even cheaper with higher mileage.

And just to convince you, a pic of course:

Die manteldraaier maak vriende al in die rondte, totdat hy op die end al in die rondte vyande het.

CJ Langenhoven

Offline 2StrokeDan

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2018, 04:28:46 pm »
660Z - Land Cruiser
640 - Land Rover
The best bike of the two would have been the 640 IF it had a Rotax 650 or Yammie 660 engine in. :deal:

The rest of the 640 is perfect. :deal:

With either of these engines the 640 would have been near to perfect. :thumleft:

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Beware the 250 roost !
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2018, 04:32:10 pm »
660Z - Land Cruiser
640 - Land Rover
The best bike of the two would have been the 640 IF it had a Rotax 650 or Yammie 660 engine in. :deal:

The rest of the 640 is perfect. :deal:

With either of these engines the 640 would have been near to perfect. :thumleft:
Or XR650R with e-start for but more (reliable) woema
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline billy-joe

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2018, 08:04:30 pm »
both are pretty but i cant understand why the 660Z weighs so damned much!  I'd try find a well looked after 640 and take that.  or just ride both and see which one floats your boat!

Good luck and post pics once you decide.
-There is no road to happiness...Happiness is the road.
-One cannot drink beer all day long if you do not start early in the morning says Welsh!!

Offline wolf skaap

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2018, 10:15:51 pm »

both are pretty but i cant understand why the 660Z weighs so damned much! I'd try find a well looked after 640 and take that.  or just ride both and see which one floats your boat!

Want hul word gebou vir groot, sterk seuns. Nie 5ft KTM dwerg poefters nie.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Let the good times roll!

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2018, 10:23:31 pm »
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 05:43:29 am by Dwerg »
Wise Web Worx

Honda: CRF230 x 2, CRF450X, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail; BMW: G450X, F800GS, F650GS Twin, F650GS Single, R50/2; KTM: 250XCW, 690R RS, 640ADV, 950ADV; Yamaha: BWS x 2, Chappy

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2018, 05:32:32 am »

both are pretty but i cant understand why the 660Z weighs so damned much! I'd try find a well looked after 640 and take that.  or just ride both and see which one floats your boat!

Want hul word gebou vir groot, sterk seuns. Nie 5ft KTM dwerg poefters nie.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk
I see you are not in the country, Alfie Cox would poefter you up! :imaposer:
But maybe that is why he rides Katoom :peepwall:
Buy the bike that makes you feel "Lekkerrrrrr"  :thumleft:
Go and ride both!
Dakar 650
KLR650

Offline Mello

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2018, 05:36:39 am »
My 2 cents worth...and seeing the Rand is tanking this 2 cents ain't worth much...

Basically a proper dirtbike with rally size tank (28l) and relatively good suspension.
They vibrate a lot but you get used to it. Rims are made of cheese. Rear suspension is weird size so getting a stiffer spring is PIA. When tuned and serviced correctly they do go very well. Sustained high speed high rpm use feels like you are  killing the motor. High compression ratio so everything is more "stressed". Does have wire bypass for low grade fuel . Fuel consumption on mine were between 16 and 20km/l pending wrist action. Carbed...and its a Mikuni vacuum carb...so simple but not great. Put breather filter on carb otherwise you ingest dust. Service intervals about 7500km I think...requires two oil filters.

XT660z...I have only had one...and it is a white one. It is heavy, under powered and boring. Tank is 25l after filler neck mod. Rims also made out of cheese. Low compression ratio so low power but low internal stress. Fuel injected. Rear sub-frame strong enough for any passenger you may pick up whilst wearing beer goggles. Fuel consumption around 17-21km/l pending wrist action. Service every 10000km...valves only every 20000km.

Of all my adv bikes I have owned...and I have had a few...I have asked the most of the XT660z. This may be me maturing as a rider...I dunno. See my Kaokoland ride report. It summarize the confidence I have in the Yammie.

With the KTM I was always relieved when it started...and when I completed a trip without issues. With the Yammie I turn the key and expect nothing else.

The Yammie may be very vanilla compared to the KTM but I will choose it anytime over the 640 ragardless of what the KTM fanboys may say. The Yammie doesn't look half bad either.

I was hell bent on buying a KTM 690. One decent test ride on a mates XT660z and the rest is history.

YMMV
This hits the nail on the head.  I have a 640 but never had the 660, although I did fancy one at one stage.

The 640 is like a big dirt bike and handles surprisingly well off road even with a full tank.  It does require more attention and maintenance to keep running but if done properly the mechanicals last well, apart from said rims and spokes that break.  The later models I believe we're better.

Off road you don't notice the engine vibration and it is responsive.  A short commute to work (non-highway) is a hoot but longer tar roads can be tiresome at speed.  Bike can do it but the vibes can get to the rider.  Drop to 120 and things get better but I can just imagine the Yamaha to be much better here.

I can relate to the starting think, ha ha.  My bike's starter clutch (I think that's what KTM calls it), basically a sprag bearing, is failing so I tend to use the left footed kick start at the moment.  If it doesn't start first or second kick, you really can Kick Till Monday!

The KTM is the bike you buy with your heart.  Used in the right conditions and when on song, great fun.  In the bad times you will be looking for the matches....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Casting from Turd

• I am the reason my children will never have kids
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • View Profile
    • addobackpackers.com
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2018, 07:18:45 am »

En da vloek Dwerg jou in jou moerin  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:
I dont want to ride fast, But I want to ride FAR
Past Bikes...Honda XR250 Tornado
Honda XR650L
Honda XL1000V Varadero
http://www.addobackpackers.com

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2018, 07:29:50 am »
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 07:30:22 am by Dwerg »
Wise Web Worx

Honda: CRF230 x 2, CRF450X, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail; BMW: G450X, F800GS, F650GS Twin, F650GS Single, R50/2; KTM: 250XCW, 690R RS, 640ADV, 950ADV; Yamaha: BWS x 2, Chappy

Offline 2StrokeDan

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2018, 07:56:10 am »

YMMV

Your last 640 was actually not that bad, electric-starting wise, when you wanted to kick-start it in that camp on Botterkloof road, just to see how quickly it would kick to life, the kickstart lever were stuck from never being used.

Took us some time to wriggle it out using chain-lube. :imaposer:

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Beware the 250 roost !
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2018, 09:12:21 am »
Left hand kick start, never in my life again !

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline Stroke Her

• When the river runs red take the dirt road instead
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2018, 09:32:34 am »

[/quote]

Your last 640 was actually not that bad, electric-starting wise, when you wanted to kick-start it in that camp on Botterkloof road, just to see how quickly it would kick to life, the kickstart lever were stuck from never being used.

Took us some time to wriggle it out using chain-lube. :imaposer:
[/quote]

True...but on the Yammie all I have to wriggle is the key in the ignition >:D

At the end of the day both are great bikes...I just know I for one are done with having to fettle and fiddle the whole time. Ek wil opklim, sleutel draai en ry pappie :thumleft:

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Beware the 250 roost !
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2018, 09:57:21 am »
 :ricky:

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :

Offline Slim Jim

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2018, 10:02:21 am »
what is the difference between the 660r and the 660z?
Where do I start!!!!! I've riden the R for a looong time.Done 45000km in 5 years with not one issue.

The are has stock suspension not adjustable
I like that the head light and dash moves with the front wheel so it rides like a dirt bike
gearing is a bit longer { but sprockets can change that]
one down side is a weak sub fram [I cut mine off and fitted a solid steel bar in it and never had an issue from then and can load it with heavy bags]
the seat is so much better as it's flat and you not stuck in one place
Another down side is no rev counter

I wouldn't change it for anything

Offline Slim Jim

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2018, 10:09:14 am »
Oh one more thing , the Yamies never get into fights between the BMW and KTM riders as they never give issues [SA adventure face book] :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: