Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Dakar bottom frame bolt  (Read 190 times)

Offline Mad777max

Dakar bottom frame bolt
« on: July 14, 2018, 05:03:12 pm »
So i went riding yesterday, did some sublime forestry roads and had a substantial bash on the bashplate. I thought nothing of it and didn't stop to check. But today while cleaning i saw, what I at first thought was just a loose bolt. Pulled the dakker back into the garage and got everything off that needed to go. Took the bolt out and it wasn't just loose, but the tip was broken off. Looks like the bolt was loose prior to the big hit and the hit broke it. Luckily the bit that broke of was easy to take out.
Now, has anyone had the same issue? I see the bolt is 8.8, will it be wise to replace it with a 10.9?

Will take the time and do a new bashplate as well. I don't like the mounting of the standard one and the stupidly placed bolts get caught when going over stuff.

Offline Dunnes

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Name: Dickie Talma
    • View Profile
Re: Dakar bottom frame bolt
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 10:11:20 pm »
Mine broke in exactly the same spot as yours. I tried to source a long enough 8.8 or stronger bolt in Pretoria but failed.

I just bought a meter of high tensile threaded rod and welded two nuts onto the one end to make a bolt.

That bolt, in my opinion, isn't that important as the engine holds everthing together. I actually rode a thousand or more kilos before realising my bolt was loose.

Offline Jughead

• Old rail tunnel, Cradock.
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Port Elizabeth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 07:40:55 am »
That bolt, in my opinion, isn't that important as the engine holds everthing together.

:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Sorry, that comment just made my day.

Have another look at the frame and the way it is constructed.  You basically have an upside down triangle with the suspension attached to the two vertical sides, trying to force them away from each other.  That bolt is what holds the bottom point of the triangle together.

Believe me, yours would not be the first bike that gets written off when the engine casing breaks open due to that bolt being broken.
I came here to drink milk and kick arse!  And i've just finished my milk.
http://www.dsmc.co.za        http://www.triumphowners.com/to-car/mkiii/
Supplier of Ticket to the Moon Hammocks   http://www.ticketothemoon.com             

Offline Mad777max

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 08:32:19 am »
I do agree it's a very important point in the Dakar puzzle...
So, do you stay 8.8, so the bolt breaks instead of something else? or do you go 10.9 to keep the bolt from breaking?
I assume it would not break if the bolt wasn't loose, so there's that.

Offline Dunnes

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Name: Dickie Talma
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 09:13:45 am »
Ja nee. It is very important as you would want that bolt to take the shear forces instead of the engine mounts.
Why I meant by "its not that important" is that you can ride on without it in a pinch.

If you can find a bolt of 10.9, use it.

Luckily, if the bolt should snap again where yours sheared, you would hear it rattle.

Offline Mad777max

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 09:18:00 am »
Ja nee. It is very important as you would want that bolt to take the shear forces instead of the engine mounts.
Why I meant by "its not that important" is that you can ride on without it in a pinch.

If you can find a bolt of 10.9, use it.

Luckily, if the bolt should snap again where yours sheared, you would hear it rattle.

i like that the bolt can't fall out if it breaks or comes loose, definitely a well thought through design

Offline Mad777max

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 10:19:19 am »
R285 from Donford. looks like a mission to source otherwise. pulled the trigger on it. will keep it tightened and hope for the best!!