F800 coolant leaks/ issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alouette3

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Did a rebuild on my F800 recently after a friend pranged it (surprisingly he is still a friend), everything has been running great for the last couple weeks, but now having an issue with the coolant spraying out the reservoir. It did it once, which I put down to air in the system, but now it has done it again the last couple of rides, normally when I stop at road works or something, until the last ride it rocketed out the reservoir 1 km after leaving home, while at speed, with eng warming and rising temp, so I stopped immediately and have parked the bike till I can get this sorted. Previously the temp hasn't gone higher then the middle bar on the indicator.

Any ideas from those with experience?

I noticed a bit of coolant around the waterpump gasket, so I'm going to remove that, inspect the pump and replace the gasket  and crush washer. Then thinking along the lines of bad radiator cap and maybe thermostat

Radiator and system were not damaged in prang, just the heat exchanger, which I replaced. Fluid did run low in the lines in the time I spent fixing the bike, and probably why the gasket is gone.

One theory I read is air coming into the system through a bad seal, preventing the vacuum that would normally return overflow fluid from the reservoir returning to the radiator.