Communication Pipe with Ma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Padkaart

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph (all models)
Look Ma no buttons, no wires, no bad reception or too late warning  - and best of all  - no hole in the pocket - the only way forward now is to improve it!!!

Yes, I do have one of those fancy gadgets that hook on to my helmet to play the music, the radio and answering the phone, that is to say if you do not lose signal or reception or battery power.

Ma is riding most of the time with me on long trips and we love to talk about all the things we see , smell and experience on our journey and the road etc etc. We thought to buy another gadget for her helmet also, to have good communication with her but then we will have to dig up another thousand plus and face another battle with the buttons for her and for me, and that is not going to work for her or for me. So I had to make another plan and recall the days how we played with the hosepipes, strings and blikkies.

Out of the plastic shop I came with 1.5 meter 8 mm plastic pipe and 4 plastic elbows that does not fit too tight in the pipe for the astronomical price of a full R15.0 With the Leatherman I cut two short pipes for "mouth pieces" and two longer pieces for the "ear pieces". The I cut the pipe in half for a "two-way-connectors" and start plug in the elbows and taped everything together for our MODERN DAY COMM PIPE. (The short pipe "mouth piece" on the one end connect with the other end long "ear piece" on the other end and so does the "ear piece" of the one end connect with the "mouth piece' on the other end.)

After a lot of laughter and a bit of cutting on the "mouth and ear pieces" to make sure it fits us both, we jumped on the bike. Our buffs holding the double-pipe stiff and in place on our necks, while the elbows rest on our individual shoulders with the mount and ear pieces nicely tugged in the helmet close to our mouth and one ear.

From Pretoria through the traffic we headed for Harties and then halfway to Thabazimbe and after that back to Pretoria again. We tested it for almost 200 km through the traffic on the road and in the wind and at speed up to 130 km/h and we heard one another perfectly. After 130 km/h the wind and helmet noise became a bit much but one can still shout if needed.

The next step will be to glue the pipes into the helmets and to just hook up every time. I must say the buff is also very important and essential as it helps to hold the pipes in place but I am sure some velcro straps may also work.

Well if you are going to try to make your own, let us know about all your improvement on this comm gadget and let us know how much you and and your lovely enjoy it.

Happy riding and taking  :laughing4: :laughing4:

Attachments

• Comm Pipe Mouth and Ear.jpg
    Comm Pipe Mouth and Ear.jpg
    631.3 KB · Views: 288