Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: So..lets define a biker  (Read 4023 times)

Offline Altie7deLaan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Vroom vroom vroom blah blah blah
So..lets define a biker
« on: July 18, 2018, 08:35:25 pm »
I have met some interesting folks recently who claims to be the worlds biggest bikers. Erm, ok pappa.
So I want to define a biker in regards to my way of thinking.

1. You get guys who build one bike after the other, or maybe a couple of bikes at the same time, keeps them all, but claim they do not have time to ride:
You are a bike builder. Not a biker.

2. You get guys who claim that they do not want to ride in in miserable weather, because its a mission to clean the bike again.
You are a lazy sod, Not a biker.

3. You get guys who have a garage full of high priced bikes, but never rides them. The bikes do however get started up and rev the cream crackers off it when a visitor pays attention. The bikes just about get taken out only when due for annual service.
You are a rich fart/collector. Not a biker.

4. "Since I,ve become a dad, I do not have time to ride".
Ahhh yes..... The one you bump into most. If you do not ride anymore,  because you feel more responsible, great, Then sell the bike to somebody that will use it.
If you argue that you do not have time, then I assume you work away from home permanently or you never leave the house. Because your bike is right there.
You are not a biker.

5. If you do not ride when it is too cold..... You are a moffie, Not a biker.

6. Commuting to your work every weekday on your bike, but not riding anywhere else ever on bike..
You are a commuter. Not a biker.

6. You have people that have ONE bike in the garage, go to work every day, and have a bike battery that is flat all the time, because they do not have time to ride.
Nope, do not understand this, at all.
Previous job I had, I had a company car and a petrol card. I took the bike to work every Friday, costing me money out of my pocket, but I wanted to ride.
You are not a biker.

OK, hope this all clear now. You either long for the image of biking, or you bike.
 There is nothing in between, except for excuses.

xl185  cb750f  gsx600f  fz750  gsxr750  cbr600f2  cbr900rr cbr929rr  cbr954rr  vtr1000f  fzr1000exup  650dakkie gsxr1000k4  lc4 supermoto  bandit1200s   project fartblood (fireblade streetfighter)  f800gs 690 kaboem

"Choose a bike that will be the most fun in the challenging spots, not one that will be the most comfortable in the easy spots." Walter Colebatch

Offline Oubones

Re: So..lets define a biker
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 08:46:32 pm »
Your question is like the difference between a bike "technician " and a bike " mechanic".
If you are AWB ( all weather biker) and you ride what you have and you cannot be without a bike, then you are a biker.
Dakar 650
SR 500

The following users thanked this post: RobC

Offline Sheepman

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 08:52:19 pm »
Seems I long for the image then as I don't ride my bikes 24/7  :( .....BUT,  the times I do ride, I really enjoy  ;D

Offline eberhard

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 08:55:36 pm »
I'm not a biker. I'm a baaiker. I've got the breeding (you left that one out).
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Online jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 08:56:13 pm »
I'll admit to being a bit, just a bit, like category 2. But I wasn't always like that, getting older does that to you.

But I'm not a biker, according to what Dan says on another thread,'cos nowadays I only ride BMW.  :biggrin:
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

2021 a milestone. 60 years a biker.

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 09:04:26 pm »
 8)
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 09:25:19 pm »
I have a touring bike I only ride now and again, a dirt bike I only ride now and again, a sport bike I only ride now and again and and a Kombi I ride sometimes

It would therefor seem I'm not a biker and have a miserable life  :lol8:
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Chairman Meow

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Obey the Kitty
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 09:33:15 pm »
I have met some interesting folks recently who claims to be the worlds biggest bikers. Erm, ok pappa.
So I want to define a biker in regards to my way of thinking.

1. You get guys who build one bike after the other, or maybe a couple of bikes at the same time, keeps them all, but claim they do not have time to ride:
You are a bike builder. Not a biker.

2. You get guys who claim that they do not want to ride in in miserable weather, because its a mission to clean the bike again.
You are a lazy sod, Not a biker.

3. You get guys who have a garage full of high priced bikes, but never rides them. The bikes do however get started up and rev the cream crackers off it when a visitor pays attention. The bikes just about get taken out only when due for annual service.
You are a rich fart/collector. Not a biker.

4. "Since I,ve become a dad, I do not have time to ride".
Ahhh yes..... The one you bump into most. If you do not ride anymore,  because you feel more responsible, great, Then sell the bike to somebody that will use it.
If you argue that you do not have time, then I assume you work away from home permanently or you never leave the house. Because your bike is right there.
You are not a biker.

5. If you do not ride when it is too cold..... You are a moffie, Not a biker.

6. Commuting to your work every weekday on your bike, but not riding anywhere else ever on bike..
You are a commuter. Not a biker.

6. You have people that have ONE bike in the garage, go to work every day, and have a bike battery that is flat all the time, because they do not have time to ride.
Nope, do not understand this, at all.
Previous job I had, I had a company car and a petrol card. I took the bike to work every Friday, costing me money out of my pocket, but I wanted to ride.
You are not a biker.

OK, hope this all clear now. You either long for the image of biking, or you bike.
 There is nothing in between, except for excuses.

.... But who gives a shit..... Except obviously you.  ::)

Offline Bundu

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 09:35:45 pm »
I have never exerted myself to fit into groupings - I do whatever pleases me - I ride a bike, because I enjoy it .... very much - I buy new bikes, because I can and I like the latest stuff - I use my car when it rains and my bike even when it's cold - does this make me a non-biker? Couldn't care less

The following users thanked this post: Sabre

Online Renrew

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • livethe1percentlife
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 09:58:06 pm »
I’d really prefer not to even be defined as a biker to start with. That word... eek

I ride offroad motorcycles.

A guy with black leathers on his street bike, or a lad with his gsxr or zx10 and fox shirt wearing oakleys without kit that goes to buffalo rallies are bikers.

I consider it quite an insult really. Go to a KTM rallye vs one of those buffalo rallies and you’ll appreciate the difference.

Who cares about what defines a “real” biker anyway? Very pedestrian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kraftfahrzeuge Trunkenpolz Mattighofen
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 950R Super Enduro_0km ;)
KTM 300 XC-W

Online Renrew

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • livethe1percentlife
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 10:09:04 pm »
But to the topic, I have more than 1 bike, seldom ride them all, most of their batteries go flat and I try and avoid going on short stints of less than 3 hours to avoid needing to wash the bike just for that. I have never commuted on a bike and I would most definitely not take the bike out quickly if it’s raining.

Nou wat nou? Am I not a REEL BAAIKER? lol

Congrats Altie, we Christen you a BAAIKER, noddy badges at your friendly grocer for your collection.

Kraftfahrzeuge Trunkenpolz Mattighofen
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 950R Super Enduro_0km ;)
KTM 300 XC-W

Offline gmac

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 10:28:49 pm »
I road and raced on and off (off-road and Mx since 12) got married young (still very happy) and needed the money so I sold my bike.12 years ago.

Have bought and sold only One or two bikes since then but 99% of the time I’m bikeless.

I’m not broke (mostly) but own everything - property cars etc cash and so practicality over rules owning a bike.

In any case I have a passion for motorcycles that I can’t get rid of - I go and watch the local offroads, mx etc and one day ( hopefully year end ) will get a bike again.

So I consider myself a “biker” but mostly have hungry eyes!

Poor me

Offline ROMMEL HOND

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 10:34:53 pm »
I am a Motorcycle Enthusiast and love all aspects of motorcycling. :ricky: :ricky:

The following users thanked this post: Sabre

Online Grunder

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Maak 'n koffie
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2018, 10:39:39 pm »
I ride my bike to work and back every day sunshine or rain...
But I don't get time to ride my bike alot otherwise...I'm a dad haha.

But I own a bike and only use the bike as mentioned earlier. I never use the wifes car... that often.

Im a hybrid commuting biker dad!  :peepwall:

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 07:55:56 am by Grunder »
NC700 F800GS

Offline Altie7deLaan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Vroom vroom vroom blah blah blah
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2018, 11:09:58 pm »
O koek. Daar strip n paar moere. Alweer.
Ek sal maar se soos antie stienie.
Bye for now.
xl185  cb750f  gsx600f  fz750  gsxr750  cbr600f2  cbr900rr cbr929rr  cbr954rr  vtr1000f  fzr1000exup  650dakkie gsxr1000k4  lc4 supermoto  bandit1200s   project fartblood (fireblade streetfighter)  f800gs 690 kaboem

"Choose a bike that will be the most fun in the challenging spots, not one that will be the most comfortable in the easy spots." Walter Colebatch

Offline Dux

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2018, 07:16:45 am »
There was a stage that I commuted 5 or 6 days a week , and did breakfast runs on Sunday's so one week I work Monday to Friday , spend the day at Killarney for a Riding School and a breakfast run planned for Sunday , Saturday evening I attend my mate Dave's 30th party and go through on my road bike seeing as his biker friends will be there . I was the only person there on a motorcycle . BUT all the so called biker's were walking around with their biker jackets on , then a few had the audacity to call me a poser , in my mind these type are not bikers but a bunch of wankers and the real posers , I tend to disassociate myself from them .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Online ETS

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure S
  • Die Punda van Prieska
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2018, 08:03:49 am »
I have sex 6 times a week and i bike twicw a wee. Does that make me a f@cker rather than a biker?  ::) ;) :peepwall:
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......

Online Grunder

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Maak 'n koffie
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2018, 08:05:24 am »
I have sex 6 times a week and i bike twicw a wee. Does that make me a f@cker rather than a biker?  ::) ;) :peepwall:

If the shoe fits... :snorting:
NC700 F800GS

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2018, 08:11:52 am »
I never describe myself as a biker.

When I meet people and they turn out to like bikes too, somebody else will tell them "David is also a biker."

To the general public "Biker" has a very broad definition
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/c/DavidMorrisMedia

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2018, 08:13:00 am »

Are you having that sex with a mother?
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/c/DavidMorrisMedia