Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: G310GS recall  (Read 3899 times)

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
Re: G310GS recall
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2019, 02:06:59 pm »
Why complain about a bike that you have no intention of ever riding or owning.  :bueller:
Cos I want Dan's spoon! :pot: :peepwall: :imaposer:

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2019, 05:59:07 pm »
Why complain about a bike that you have no intention of ever riding or owning.  :bueller:

Because they dominate a major sector in our industry and if let to continuously brainwash riders, will get more of the market.

And finally have a big say in what bikes we get in SA...cheaply made, overweight monstrosities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You over-estimate BMW as a company and under-estimate the intelligence of the buying public.  You also clearly do not understand market forces and world markets.  A manufacturer does not make something and then see if there is a market.  They first see the market and then make a product to meet that market.  There are obviously exceptions, but the small BMW's, KTM's, etc. are not among them.  There is a huge market for small capacity bikes and companies are making bikes to play in that market.  It is not cheating.  It is not marketing.  It is not brainwashing.  It is not personal. It is just business.

The Honda 250 Twister was possibly one of the best selling bikes of that size, bullet proof and did service as delivery bikes all over the world, including in SA.  They were made in Brazil.  No one ever complained.  No one gave a hoot.  For 99,99% of the world market, the small Beemers or KTM's or Yamahas for that matter, is exactly the same.  Only a teensy minority of BMW nonfanboys waffle on about this.

The Twisters were built inBrazil, IN A HONDA FACTORY. The plant in Manuas has been operating since the 70's

As opposed to BMW having a pukka Indian bike-builder build the GS310 for them, convincing the world that they are closely watching that standards are top notch :imaposer: :imaposer:

You also missed MiniDan's point, which was that a manufacturer with BMW's clout in the market can brainwash buyers, as happened in the case of the GS310.  People fought tooth and nail for the

GS310, even before it was launched. :biggrin:

The "it comes from BMW so it must be good" mentality.

In fact, Honda is building a huge new plant in Itirapina in Brazil. It is this type of involvement that can give you bullet-proof delivery bikes to last years.

Not asking Ramsamy in Mumbai to knock up a thing for you. :xxbah:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 06:13:23 pm by 2StrokeDan »

Online TheBear

• Stalin was 'n sissy.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2019, 11:02:15 am »

Because they dominate a major sector in our industry and if let to continuously brainwash riders, will get more of the market.

And finally have a big say in what bikes we get in SA...cheaply made, overweight monstrosities.

You over-estimate BMW as a company and under-estimate the intelligence of the buying public.  You also clearly do not understand market forces and world markets.  A manufacturer does not make something and then see if there is a market.  They first see the market and then make a product to meet that market.  There are obviously exceptions, but the small BMW's, KTM's, etc. are not among them.  There is a huge market for small capacity bikes and companies are making bikes to play in that market.  It is not cheating.  It is not marketing.  It is not brainwashing.  It is not personal. It is just business.

The Honda 250 Twister was possibly one of the best selling bikes of that size, bullet proof and did service as delivery bikes all over the world, including in SA.  They were made in Brazil.  No one ever complained.  No one gave a hoot.  For 99,99% of the world market, the small Beemers or KTM's or Yamahas for that matter, is exactly the same.  Only a teensy minority of BMW nonfanboys waffle on about this.

The Twisters were built inBrazil, IN A HONDA FACTORY. The plant in Manuas has been operating since the 70's

As opposed to BMW having a pukka Indian bike-builder build the GS310 for them, convincing the world that they are closely watching that standards are top notch :imaposer: :imaposer:

You also missed MiniDan's point, which was that a manufacturer with BMW's clout in the market can brainwash buyers, as happened in the case of the GS310.  People fought tooth and nail for the

In fact, Honda is building a huge new plant in Itirapina in Brazil. It is this type of involvement that can give you bullet-proof delivery bikes to last years.

We have been around this debate many times. Ownership of the plant is unimportant.  Staffing, management, etc. is what is important.   Toyota SA or Suzuki SA are not Japanese companies.

I did not miss Minidan's point.  His point is a pile of crap and I though I did say that, albeit in a much gentler fashion.  If you and he is easily brainwashed, it doesn't mean the rest of the world's population is. 

You have a lot to say about the so-called BMW fanboys who protected the 310 before launch.  How is this, in any way different to you and others who tore it apart before it was launched?  It really isn't.  Both sides overly passionate to a point of emotional distress to a level where clear thinking becomes rather difficult.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 11:02:51 am by TheBear »
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline MiniDan

« Reply #83 on: September 06, 2019, 11:43:54 am »

We have been around this debate many times. Ownership of the plant is unimportant.  Staffing, management, etc. is what is important.   Toyota SA or Suzuki SA are not Japanese companies.

I did not miss Minidan's point.  His point is a pile of crap and I though I did say that, albeit in a much gentler fashion.  If you and he is easily brainwashed, it doesn't mean the rest of the world's population is. 

You have a lot to say about the so-called BMW fanboys who protected the 310 before launch.  How is this, in any way different to you and others who tore it apart before it was launched?  It really isn't.  Both sides overly passionate to a point of emotional distress to a level where clear thinking becomes rather difficult.

Damn, no need to get personal here Old Bear. Just stated my opinion and you went full out and called it crap. Maybe you should go for a lekker adventure ride on that GS of yours and clear the anger out...

Lekker dag man  :thumleft:

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Aka Sprocket Face
« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2019, 11:52:58 am »
My colleague here has to have a frame swop on his GS, not chilled about is as the dealer here cannot even get the simple stuff right.... never mind a frame swop.... :drif:
Long live the Underdog.........

Online Tommy Transalp

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • The Older I get... the Faster I WAS!
« Reply #85 on: September 06, 2019, 12:44:39 pm »
My colleague here has to have a frame swop on his GS, not chilled about is as the dealer here cannot even get the simple stuff right.... never mind a frame swop.... :drif:
It's a problem when you have a recall like this to change the frame... basically a re-build and one can never be sure if it's going to be the same bike again. Opening up chances that something else will go wrong.
Bad design in the first place imho..... not tested for designed use? ::) :patch:
I live in my own world...
But it's ok... they know me there!
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230
Royal Enfield 500 Classic

Online TheBear

• Stalin was 'n sissy.
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #86 on: September 06, 2019, 01:05:14 pm »

Damn, no need to get personal here Old Bear. Just stated my opinion and you went full out and called it crap. Maybe you should go for a lekker adventure ride on that GS of yours and clear the anger out...

Lekker dag man  :thumleft:

Ah.  Ye olde "don't get personal" card played directly ahead of the "clear your anger out" card.  Good thing we are both white, males!

Anyway, don't you think calling me, because I ride a BMW, "brainwashed" a tad personal?  At least as personal as me calling your opinion crap.  By the way, how is it being personal when someone calls your opinion crap?  I would think calling you crap ... now that would be personal. 

Perhaps you need to go for a ride on that non-GS of yours and clear the anger out?  What do you think?  Just a lekker long ride to help you rid yourself of the anger to me, BMW's in general, brainwashed people and everyone else who happens to enjoy riding a BMW.  Stop to smell the coffee, even have a muffin or two ....   :imaposer:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 01:05:49 pm by TheBear »
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline MiniDan

« Reply #87 on: September 06, 2019, 01:48:33 pm »
Fokkit, jy het warm vingertjies.

And you right, I take everything I said back. Many apologies, I'll now go ride my non-BMW and have a wonderful time of it.

Online TheBear

• Stalin was 'n sissy.
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #88 on: September 06, 2019, 02:41:17 pm »
Fokkit, jy het warm vingertjies.

And you right, I take everything I said back. Many apologies, I'll now go ride my non-BMW and have a wonderful time of it.

Jy het duidelik nog nie 'n draai gaan ry nie, die dat jy nog steeds so erg kwaai is.   Lekker ry en kalm en rustig raak.  Moenie die muffins vergeet nie.  Dit help, veral die Giggelgras geur.   :lol8:
#33 #BRADICAL!

The following users thanked this post: MiniDan

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #89 on: September 06, 2019, 08:27:06 pm »

The difference, TheBear, is that I tore it apart knowing where it is going to be built.......and I think I am proved right in the messy aftermath of exchanging frames, etc?

So, in short, what is your point??

Offline WildWood

• Real dual-sport adventure tours
« Reply #90 on: September 07, 2019, 09:21:51 am »
What I find strange is the denial that the bikes and components are being sourced in the east to save money and that cheaper parts means poorer quality.

Not only the little Beemers but all the brands.  Eg: KTM always had Renthal bars but the new models have no name unbranded (read China/India etc).

I would probably be hesitant buying a little KTM Duke for the same reason, even it appears to be cool little bike.

I'd be interested to know where the hidden components like wheel bearings are coming from?

Offline Odd Dog

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #91 on: September 07, 2019, 01:53:48 pm »

The 310 does not dominate here, I have never seen one on the road as yet, "continuously brainwash riders"  so that's their all manufacterers' master plans Surely you  don't really think the BMW designers are sitting in there offices taking any note of what the opinions of a few Wild Dogs here in SA have to say.

So the little beemer has problems the Ballie was right, they will sort the newer ones out, not that it bothers me as I have no intention of buying one. The bigger ones' which, by the way have been the top selling brand in SA for the past few years, are overweight monstrosities, don't buy/ride one.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 02:15:49 pm by Odd Dog »
If You're going through hell, keep going.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #92 on: September 07, 2019, 06:08:30 pm »

The 310 does not dominate here, I have never seen one on the road as yet, "continuously brainwash riders"  so that's their all manufacterers' master plans Surely you  don't really think the BMW designers are sitting in there offices taking any note of what the opinions of a few Wild Dogs here in SA have to say.

So the little beemer has problems the Ballie was right, they will sort the newer ones out, not that it bothers me as I have no intention of buying one. The bigger ones' which, by the way have been the top selling brand in SA for the past few years, are overweight monstrosities, don't buy/ride one.

You have never seen a GS310 on the road, because I personally warned people against the rubbish. :peepwall: :pot:

Offline Odd Dog

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #93 on: September 08, 2019, 03:15:48 pm »
 :spitcoffee: >:D
If You're going through hell, keep going.

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #94 on: September 08, 2019, 04:34:25 pm »
Yet another sensational scandal exposed! An evil consortium of Indian, German and South African scamsters in a fiendish plot to rob innocent buyers of their hard earned savings. By dangling before them a brightly painted plaything, a piece of cheap oriental tat purporting to be premium German engineering.

Praised to the heavens by the media, who must be in on the plot, as 'the best adventure motorcycle ever ridden', they might have sold in vast numbers to a gullible public, taken in by the pretty looks, and seductive hype. But no! in the nick of time comes a hero, the Cape crusader, to reveal the shameful truth, and save them from making a disastrous mistake, leaving the dastardly plotters to weep in their showrooms full of unsold bikes and shake their fists in fury, crying "Damn you, Beemerhaterman!"
Watch out for the movie..... :lol8:

Offline katana

• One day when I grow up, I want to be a
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Sheer Smiling Pleasure
« Reply #95 on: September 08, 2019, 04:37:13 pm »
Yet another sensational scandal exposed! An evil consortium of Indian, German and South African scamsters in a fiendish plot to rob innocent buyers of their hard earned savings. By dangling before them a brightly painted plaything, a piece of cheap oriental tat purporting to be premium German engineering.

Praised to the heavens by the media, who must be in on the plot, as 'the best adventure motorcycle ever ridden', they might have sold in vast numbers to a gullible public, taken in by the pretty looks, and seductive hype. But no! in the nick of time comes a hero, the Cape crusader, to reveal the shameful truth, and save them from making a disastrous mistake, leaving the dastardly plotters to weep in their showrooms full of unsold bikes and shake their fists in fury, crying "Damn you, Beemerhaterman!"

:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:
"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #96 on: September 08, 2019, 07:30:39 pm »

I cannot take all the credit for this flop of a bike. The Indian "engineers" must take the bulk of the blame/praise. :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline katana

• Sheer Smiling Pleasure
« Reply #97 on: September 08, 2019, 07:33:59 pm »
I personally wouldn't buy one, but saw this photo...  If the crappy Indian bike can bring some joy to someone with a black credit card.  Why not.

"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #98 on: September 08, 2019, 07:43:54 pm »
A broken frame has never brought anyone any joy, I am sure.

Rather encourage young riders, and those with black credit cards, to buy quality Japanese stuff, and stretch their rands thus.

Offline katana

• Sheer Smiling Pleasure
« Reply #99 on: September 08, 2019, 08:03:30 pm »
A broken frame has never brought anyone any joy, I am sure.

Rather encourage young riders, and those with black credit cards, to buy quality Japanese stuff, and stretch their rands thus.
I was just messing with you Dan.  I knew you would care...   ;)