Need Some Route Advice Please! Cape Town - Eastern Cape - Lesotho and Back

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Hi Guys and Girls,

I have Been on This Forum For a While, But Completely Inactive and I thought If there is Any advice or some Inside Info on routes This Would Be The Place to go.

So 3 Of us (Crf1000, KTM 990R & 1200GSA) Are Shooting off 3rd of Aug to Gouritz , Spend The Night there and From there early Next morning Go straight to East London and Spend the night there, Up to here Its pretty Straight Forward N2 all the way From Cape Town, From Here on is where I Would Like Any Advice Available as Not one of us has Any experience or knowledge of the Area.

We Are Planning o Leaving East London and Go to Kei Mouth to Cross the Ferry There and then Try Find a Nice Route to Coffee Bay Which Would Be our Next Stop.

I have Mapped the Wild Coast 4x4 Route That I Would Be Keen on Doing, But I am Not Sure If We might be Getting ourselves into something that might take more time that is Available for the day or Worse get Stuck somewhere, We are Fairly Comfortable on our Bikes, But Would Be fully Loaded With Pannier bags and Such, That is something that should be Considered I guess.

Has Anyone Done That track and know What we can Expect? I know There Are some River Crossings? Any Of them In-passable? Is covering the Distance From Kei Mouth - Coffee Bay on There a bit optimistic? Or easily done?

From Coffee Bay I have also Mapped the same Wild Coast 4x4 Trail up To around Port st Johns where we Be Shooting up Back to N2 to Underberg, Same Question Here, Are We Possibly Biting Of More Than We Can Chew?

From Underberg We will Be Going Up Sani Pass to Katse Dam For The Night and From There Semonkong For The Night, Any Route Recommendations or Things and Places to see and or Avoid? Bare in mind We only have the Time That is left of the day that we Arrive.

From Semonkong I have Mapped To go Out of Lesotho Via Qachas nek - R56 - D8018 - R396 Over Naudes nek and Spend The Night in Rhode, Anyone Know What Qachas nek and The Roads That Follow Looks like? Any Concerns There? Or have A better Alternative?

From Rhodes We Will Be Heading to Hogsback Where We Would Like to do Katberg and Devils Bellows pass Coming in to Hogsback, Anyone Do those Passe Recently With Some Feedback on them?

From Hogsback We will Just Be pushing to Oudtshoorn and From There Home. So I don't Have Concerns there, But if the are Any route Recommendations they will be Welcome.

Any Advice, Recommendations and Input Will Be Greatly Appreciated, I Know There is a lot of Questions here and its Badly Put together, But I am sure Some Sense can be Made of it

Thanks in Advance!

Kind Regards

Arnold Jonker