Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Limpopo / Kruger border /bikes allowed? Safe?  (Read 860 times)

Offline maria41

Limpopo / Kruger border /bikes allowed? Safe?
« on: July 26, 2018, 06:22:31 pm »
Hi everyone we are currently in Malawi and we will get to Mozambique soon. And then South Africa .
Looking at the map there is a border between Limpopo in Mozambique and Kruger. (Gyriondo border post).
Is this border open to motorbikes? If yes is it safe? Or are we insane to even consider it?
Sorry if this was discussed before. WiFi is terrible expensive and there are dailylong power cuts. So did not do a search here.
Any info welcome.
Thanks
Maria

Offline Noneking

Re: Limpopo / Kruger border /bikes allowed? Safe?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 06:44:36 pm »
You can not access Kruger Park with motorbikes
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

The following users thanked this post: maria41

Offline maria41

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 09:02:03 am »
Thanks  :)
I guess we will take the border further south via Maputo then.
Cheers

Offline Noneking

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 09:04:45 am »
Thanks  :)
I guess we will take the border further south via Maputo then.
Cheers

Where are you off to once through the border?
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline maria41

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 06:41:58 am »
Once back in SA we will stop at the next town (Nelspruit?) to get tyres and maybe some other stuff. Depends how our bikes fare. Definitely need new tyres.
Yesterday was a nightmare from Quelimane down to Gorongosa with never ending potholes and giant crateres and sometime no way to swerve or see them as the sun got done and all was covered in sand. Hope my bike will hold until SA.

Then we will get to Lesotho and then down to the coast and around. Nothing fixed, I will investigate for a nice itinerary once we are closer. And get reliable WiFi.  We fly out of Cape Town the 19th of September, so plenty of time yet.

Offline Noneking

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 08:48:01 am »
Once back in SA we will stop at the next town (Nelspruit?) to get tyres and maybe some other stuff. Depends how our bikes fare. Definitely need new tyres.
Yesterday was a nightmare from Quelimane down to Gorongosa with never ending potholes and giant crateres and sometime no way to swerve or see them as the sun got done and all was covered in sand. Hope my bike will hold until SA.

Then we will get to Lesotho and then down to the coast and around. Nothing fixed, I will investigate for a nice itinerary once we are closer. And get reliable WiFi.  We fly out of Cape Town the 19th of September, so plenty of time yet.

I’m in Nelspruit. Let me know if you need help around here?
Canzius
+27721969083
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

Offline maria41

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 02:57:42 pm »
Thanks Canzius,
Do you know where we can get tyres? And advise on secure but not too expensive accommodation in town? Guesthouse, backpacker, campsite, any of those. That would be great.  :)

Offline Noneking

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 04:22:25 pm »
Thanks Canzius,
Do you know where we can get tyres? And advise on secure but not too expensive accommodation in town? Guesthouse, backpacker, campsite, any of those. That would be great.  :)

Send me your requirements and I can arrange in advance. I will find out about acommodation
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

The following users thanked this post: maria41

Offline Fransw

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2018, 05:15:12 pm »
Thanks Canzius,

Canzius can also help you with new teeth if you want! :biggrin:

Offline maria41

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 02:19:51 pm »

Send me your requirements and I can arrange in advance. I will find out about acommodation

We need new 2 rear tyres, size 120/80/18 (or something similar that will fit on the rim) and 2 front tyres, size 90/90/21.
We are looking for “on/off road” tyres.
Currently, the 2012 Honda CRF250L is fitted with a Mitas MC23 front and back. The 2009 Yamaha XT250 is currently fitted with a Shinko Trail Master E-700 on the rear and Pirelli MT21 on the front.
For some context, we are travelling in Southern Africa for 4 months and will be passing though Nelspruit in about a weeks time.
By then we will be on around 11,000 kms on those tyres, so by the time we get to Nelspruit we will be fairly desperate.

Offline Fransw

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 10:16:21 am »
What about the standard crf250 Rally tyres for both!? Apparently the guys get 12 000km++ on them..

I don't know the make, will try to find out..

Offline maria41

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 11:47:42 am »
We finally found a shop that can get us some tyres,( Dunlop knobbies)  so all good. We should get to Nelspruit on Sunday I think. Then depends how long it will take to get the tyres delivered.
Canzius I will let you know where we will stay by WhatsApp. Once decided. We have no local SIM cards so dependant on occasional WiFi.  ::)

Offline Fransw

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 12:36:54 pm »
We finally found a shop that can get us some tyres,( Dunlop knobbies)  so all good. We should get to Nelspruit on Sunday I think. Then depends how long it will take to get the tyres delivered.
Canzius I will let you know where we will stay by WhatsApp. Once decided. We have no local SIM cards so dependant on occasional WiFi.  ::)

Good! Enjoy South Africa! And remember to go to the nearest butcher in Nelspruit and buy 'biltong' also ask him where you can get 'koeksisters'( two traditional delicacies :drif:) Eat this with a local beer('Castle' or 'Black Label')...This is all you need to survive in South Africa! :thumleft:

Offline Ventana

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • De Colores!!
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2018, 01:05:30 pm »
Accomodation in Nelspruit - I'm regularly there on business and like to stay here...

http://hippowaterfront.com/

Accomodation is clean, cheap, safe, bike friendly, the beer cold and the food tastes like home cooking.  Quite a big pod of hippo's in the river will keep your camera clicking away for a while - 10 minutes from the centre of Nelspruit but you feel like you're miles away from civilisation.  You can choose between camping or a log cabin.  I've often bumped into other 2-wheeled travellers there....lekker place  ;) ;)
"Never look down on anyone, unless you're helping them up"

Offline Noneking

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2018, 01:30:07 pm »

Which shop helped you?
Looking forward to it
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

Offline maria41

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2018, 03:16:39 pm »
Hi Canzius,

Alistair got  response from Pitlane. They seem to be able to order the tyres we need. Not sure yet how long it will take, though,  for the delivery. Depending on that we may stay a bit longer in Mozambique. In any case, some time next week we will get to Nelspruit.

Cheers,

Offline jangys

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2018, 05:07:36 pm »
Also in Nelspruit, let me know if you need assistance, can arrange accommodation, a flip in a Huey Helicopter, scenic flight around the lowveld, etc. etc. stay in a 5 star lodge....whatever you need.