Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: I am weak.  (Read 3776 times)

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
Re: I am weak.
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2018, 02:10:58 pm »
It's so awesome when you buy the most expensive bike a dealer even sells, and it then takes them 2 days to ignore you when you send a mail. And get told "We'll get back to you" when you call to follow up on your multiple email requests.

>:(

Online Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2018, 05:54:19 pm »
It's so awesome when you buy the most expensive bike a dealer even sells, and it then takes them 2 days to ignore you when you send a mail. And get told "We'll get back to you" when you call to follow up on your multiple email requests.

where did you buy? same place as last?

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2018, 06:46:10 pm »

Yeh. It seems it has changed quite drastically recently.
Finally got it booked in tomorrow “we’ll have it done by Friday hopefully”.

Hopefully they can restore my faith. A long weekend with no bike and I’ll lose my shit.

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2018, 07:10:13 pm »
Wednesday and Friday for a service? Really? Why can't you have it back Wednesday afternoon?

Online Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2018, 07:16:12 pm »

Yeh. It seems it has changed quite drastically recently.
Finally got it booked in tomorrow “we’ll have it done by Friday hopefully”.

Hopefully they can restore my faith. A long weekend with no bike and I’ll lose my shit.

I got an email from them recently about this 2 or 3 day service thing.... not what I'm used to.... early in, same day out....

I'm wondering how KTM sales have picked up since the 1*90 range was launched.... too few dealers perhaps?

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2018, 09:18:14 pm »
What a stunning bike!  :laughing4:

I hope they offer a loan bike while servicing, a 1290 Duke  :laughing4:

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2018, 08:47:22 am »
Wednesday and Friday for a service? Really? Why can't you have it back Wednesday afternoon?
Dropped it off this moring and they said they'd see what they can do.

To be fair, they mentioned there is a huge backlog of stuff there at the moment (But why is the question?) and they are doing renovations in the workshop now as well. The guys in the workshop, when you get hold of them, are trying to help as best they can.

Hopefully it's done today though.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2018, 03:28:21 pm »
Only saw this now! Congrats Roadhawg!
last time I was on the forum you were undecided. The bike looks great and I am sure it will treat you well!

Responsibilities have kept me off my 1190 for a while now, reading the excitement in this thread its time to get riding again
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2018, 03:45:27 pm »
Only saw this now! Congrats Roadhawg!
last time I was on the forum you were undecided. The bike looks great and I am sure it will treat you well!

Responsibilities have kept me off my 1190 for a while now, reading the excitement in this thread its time to get riding again
Thanks man!! yeah I am stupid, that's for sure.   Also need to ride more but having the stock airbox paranoia right now haha

Guess I should update this.

So having more than 6500rpm at my disposable, this thing is a bit of a beast. 

It still doesn't FEEEL as snappy as the 1190, power-wise, but then you look down and you're doing 30-40km/h more than you thought you were....So it'd definitely faster, it just does it with a little less drama.

The handling feels quicker than the 1190, but I believe they reduced the trail so that explains it. It also means its a bit more twitchy on the highway and when you really open up with the TC off. The front does shake a bit more but nothing out of control.  I havent taken it over 165ish really because of the TKC80s.

Suspension wise, I was a bit dissappointed initially as it just didn't feel right, but after the 1st service it felt miles better.  I think maybe they didn't do the setup right suring the PDI and sorted it out during the service.  I feel like it's again a bit more responsive than the 1190.  Where you would use big inputs and chuck the 1190 around, this responds to a much lighter touch and you need to consciously be a bit more gentle with the controls and body position etc.   It rewards you big time when you ride it properly though.  I have some open fields at my house that I take a shortcut through sometime with a few little bumps and jumps and it feels really good.  Just waiting on the UNI Filter to arrive so I can do some real dirt riding and see how it goes.

TC off and Sport Mode and it is  A LOT of bike. It nearly caught me out yesterday with a quite spectacular wheelie :biggrin:     I kind of wish there was something in between full nanny Traction Control and "Here's 160hp on knobblies....Good luck!!" :biggrin:

It took me a while to gel with the bike, and it was a bigger change than I initially anticipated....I almost thought I had made a big mistake (and when I think of the price, sometimes I still do TBH) but it's growing on me pretty quickly now.

Added the Superduke Exhaust and Pre-filters so far.  UNIfilter and tank protection stickers next.

On the Dealer:  They had a massive backlog at the place when new management took over. It seems the workshop just stopped all work at that point, but bikes were still coming in.  So they squeezed me in for a 1st service, and got it done in 3 days. I don't think that would be the norm going forward.  The guy running the workshop now is very well respected, and I've never heard a bad word spoken about him, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.   

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2018, 03:53:43 pm »
that sounds like a lot of fun, as new toys should be! I take a while to gel with all my bikes and don't buy on feel but rather on reviews because of that. This sounds like another example of that.
That stubby slipon makes the bike look like the word FUN.

On the airbox issues, I know not much have changed, but I haven't heard of one instance yet of dust ingestion on the 1090 or 1290. I think its only the old paranoia riding everyone.

On the bike not feeling as dramatic as the 1190, is that not maybe because of you not having an Akro fitted?

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2018, 04:02:50 pm »
that sounds like a lot of fun, as new toys should be! I take a while to gel with all my bikes and don't buy on feel but rather on reviews because of that. This sounds like another example of that.

On the airbox issues, I know not much have changed, but I haven't heard of one instance yet of dust ingestion on the 1090 or 1290. I think its only the old paranoia riding everyone.

On the bike not feeling as dramatic as the 1190, is that not maybe because of you not having an Akro fitted?

Nah the SD can is definitely louder than the Akra. Not so bad at idle but its definitely more of a braap when you open it up.

Its hard to explain. It just doesnt feel as highly strung as the 1190.  Hell, I'll go ride more and let you know hahaha

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2018, 06:27:51 am »

Nah the SD can is definitely louder than the Akra. Not so bad at idle but its definitely more of a braap when you open it up.

Its hard to explain. It just doesnt feel as highly strung as the 1190.  Hell, I'll go ride more and let you know hahaha

LOL You mean you will go take one for the team, do us a favour and do more research!

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2018, 10:00:53 am »
I christened the bloody thing in the parking lot of my local Engen. Standing still.  With the sidestand out :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:   IDIOT!!!

I was in shorts and a T-shirt just quickly popping to the shops. Got back on the bike and it felt like my wallet, in my left pocket, wasn't securely in the pocket.  Leant to my right to push it in more, bike starting going to the right.....and some more....and more.....and "oh shit it's past the point of catching!!!!"    :imaposer:   What a cock. :lol8:

The crashbars work very well.   

Online Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2018, 01:25:05 pm »
Eish Boet  :-\

1st time to pick it up? Could you manage alone?

Offline Renrew

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Fcuk’em
I am weak.
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2018, 01:49:26 pm »
Gosh...

I remember when I first dropped my 1190, only time I ever dropped it, and I scratched the crashbars.

Week later got new crashbars.

Couldn’t live with it with the rest of the bike still being spotless.

Had it been a year later I probably wouldn’t have bothered.

We underestimate they weight of these bikes, past 25degrees and you’re going down! Loving the SD can, MUCH better solution than anything else. I’d probably opt for the SD AKRA pipe though.

Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 01:50:32 pm by Renrew »
Kraftfahrzeuge Trunkenpolz Mattighofen
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 950R Super Enduro_0km ;)
KTM 300 XC-W

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2018, 04:24:24 pm »

Yeah i find it really easy to pick up the good old fashioned way, facing the bike....But it might be the power of sheer embarrassment I was feeling too :-[ :-[  Haha

Bike's fine, little scratch on the crash bars and the SD can. Worst is the scratch on the clutch cover from the brake pedal.....I wish I had stuck some covers on their already.   I;m definitely going to add those.  But yeah, it happens sooner or later, now I'll just be less scared when it inevitably happens offroad.

I do still feel like an absolute chop though.   Could everyone going "Look at this idiot with a fancy bike and no clue!!" :biggrin: :biggrin:

Online Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2018, 06:52:11 pm »

Yeah i find it really easy to pick up the good old fashioned way, facing the bike....But it might be the power of sheer embarrassment I was feeling too :-[ :-[  Haha

Bike's fine, little scratch on the crash bars and the SD can. Worst is the scratch on the clutch cover from the brake pedal.....I wish I had stuck some covers on their already.   I;m definitely going to add those.  But yeah, it happens sooner or later, now I'll just be less scared when it inevitably happens offroad.

I do still feel like an absolute chop though.   Could everyone going "Look at this idiot with a fancy bike and no clue!!" :biggrin: :biggrin:

don't feel bad, has happened to me as well.... foot slipping on sand when coming to a stop - embarrassing, but fuck that, that's how one learns, even after many years

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2018, 08:13:36 am »
odd that it scratched so easily on the clutch cover. I think mine is still scratch-less and I have fallen uncountable times.
Or maybe I need to go check again

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2018, 09:11:51 am »
odd that it scratched so easily on the clutch cover. I think mine is still scratch-less and I have fallen uncountable times.
Or maybe I need to go check again

You fall in interesting places not parking lots though :biggrin:   I think when it's perfectly flat and hard ground, the brake lever hits the floor and is pushed into the clutch cover more easily.   

Any ideas for engine case protectors?  This dude on Facebook is importing some but they're over R2k.  Otherwise I'm going to look at having some carbon fibre ones made.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2018, 11:33:54 am »
Hyde had some, think they were around R600. Cant remember now why I haven't bought yet (except for them being ugly)