Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: I am weak.  (Read 3601 times)

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
Re: I am weak.
« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2019, 01:34:33 pm »
Black is the worst colour for a heat shield try silver. 😎 exhaust side
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 01:34:58 pm by Welsh »
If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive, they'd eventually find me attractive.

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2019, 01:43:45 pm »
Black is the worst colour for a heat shield try silver. 😎 exhaust side

Ag it only really needs to protect the furthest bottom corner. The rest is just to make it look a bit less random 😂

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2019, 08:10:59 am »
Your bike is looking good Roadhawg. Nice!
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2019, 12:46:04 pm »
SHot man.

It's pretty much exactly how I want it now.  Still undecided about the upper crash bars, but doing a Sani trip end of the month so they'll stay on for that at least.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2019, 03:30:29 pm »
SHot man.

It's pretty much exactly how I want it now.  Still undecided about the upper crash bars, but doing a Sani trip end of the month so they'll stay on for that at least.

Join Losper on a Lesotho ride then you wont be undecided! haha
Whats your opinion on the air intake setup vs 1190?

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2019, 03:44:23 pm »
SHot man.

Join Losper on a Lesotho ride then you wont be undecided! haha
Whats your opinion on the air intake setup vs 1190?

It's the same.  Same airbox and basic intakes.  You can just put KTM's prefilters instead of using the UNI's

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2019, 07:12:54 am »
another random question....
If you dropped a tooth or two on the 1190, wouldn't the low-down torque be similar?

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2019, 08:53:43 am »
If you dropped a tooth or two on the 1190, wouldn't the low-down torque be similar?

I went one tooth down on the front of the 1290 as well :biggrin:

Stock it seemed to have a VERY long 6th gear, but it may have just been that I was used to the 16T on the 1190. I have heard many people say that 6th is long on the 1290 though so I think it is actually geared differently.  16T shortened that slightly, and just seems to suit my riding style better.

I suppose shortening the gearing will make it FEEL torquier but won't actually change the numbers on a dyno. The 12 does seem to have more bottom end and is more linear, where the 1190 felt more peaky.

The following users thanked this post: m0lt3n

Online Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #88 on: May 07, 2019, 04:08:58 pm »

Stock it seemed to have a VERY long 6th gear, but it may have just been that I was used to the 16T on the 1190. I have heard many people say that 6th is long on the 1290 though so I think it is actually geared differently.  16T shortened that slightly, and just seems to suit my riding style better.

I suppose shortening the gearing will make it FEEL torquier but won't actually change the numbers on a dyno. The 12 does seem to have more bottom end and is more linear, where the 1190 felt more peaky.

won't it move the torque curve slightly to the left when looking at the X-axis in km/h, resulting in higher torque at slower speeds?

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #89 on: May 07, 2019, 09:32:02 pm »

won't it move the torque curve slightly to the left when looking at the X-axis in km/h, resulting in higher torque at slower speeds?

You calibrate the dyno to the vehicles gearing with each run. So I guess if you calibrated it stock, then stuck the different sprocket on and tested it the actual numbers would be different.

But from what I understand if you run it as normal they should be the same. I know some guys that own and run a dyno, Iíll ask them, theyíre smarter than me. (Thatís how I discovered a 1190 is longer than a Hayabusa  :biggrin: )

Online Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #90 on: May 07, 2019, 09:40:06 pm »

You calibrate the dyno to the vehicles gearing with each run. So I guess if you calibrated it stock, then stuck the different sprocket on and tested it the actual numbers would be different.

But from what I understand if you run it as normal they should be the same. I know some guys that own and run a dyno, Iíll ask them, theyíre smarter than me. (Thatís how I discovered a 1190 is longer than a Hayabusa  :biggrin: )

would be interesting to know - but the way I see it, is if the engine is at higher revs at (now after sprocket change) lower speed, the engine will give you the torque and kW that it normally did at the normal speed - the curves are for the engine and its RPM

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #91 on: May 07, 2019, 09:52:47 pm »

would be interesting to know - but the way I see it, is if the engine is at higher revs at (now after sprocket change) lower speed, the engine will give you the torque and kW that it normally did at the normal speed - the curves are for the engine and its RPM

Yeh the graph is torque/hp vs RPM not speed so they should be identical, unless you rig it with the calibration story.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #92 on: May 09, 2019, 08:49:26 am »
what Bundu said.

Figures are the same, but its delivered sooner and quicker. same as low range in 4x4 (but not as profound)

Reason I did sprocket change was to allow slower crawling speed. Its something like 6kmph vs 8kmph idling in gear, clutch out.

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #93 on: May 09, 2019, 10:20:52 am »
what Bundu said.

Figures are the same, but its delivered sooner and quicker. same as low range in 4x4 (but not as profound)

Reason I did sprocket change was to allow slower crawling speed. Its something like 6kmph vs 8kmph idling in gear, clutch out.

Yeah in real world conditions it changes things a bit, but I dyno shouldn't see any difference.

Online Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #94 on: May 09, 2019, 08:23:06 pm »

Yes.

:thumleft:
1250 HP GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #95 on: July 01, 2019, 10:27:26 am »
Haven't managed to ride much lately.
Went screwing around last night finding bit of dirt near my house :biggrin:

Still loving the thing though.

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #96 on: July 08, 2019, 09:54:38 am »
The crashbar maker has made some revisions and offered to modify mine for me :thumleft:

God I forgot how good it looks without the upper bars :drif:

Might leave them off until I know I'm doing more gnarly stuff (although they for sure saved my ass at Sani)

Online Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #97 on: July 08, 2019, 09:21:43 pm »
I agree, most of those upper crash bars look super fuggly - I saw some a while ago that didn't look too bad, but can't find them now - think they were made in Italy...

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2019, 08:15:16 am »
I agree, most of those upper crash bars look super fuggly - I saw some a while ago that didn't look too bad, but can't find them now - think they were made in Italy...
The Outback Motortek ones look decent but $$$$$  Hell they're all $$ but the Scott Adventure ones I have are very well priced and clearly do the job.

They're not such a mission to fit and remove so might just leave them off when not needed.