Power-pulsing at high RPM but no rev-limiter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultraflight

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
On Saturday I took my 2012 KLR650 to the bike track day at Killarney race track.
Something strange happened that I did not have time to ponder in the moment, but now its bothering me.
Approaching the end of a short straight with wide open throttle in third gear, I was about two seconds from the point at which I would transit from maximum acceleration to braking hard for the corner.
The revs were approaching the red but gearing up was not an option at that moment, so I decided to continue at WOT.
Suddenly I experienced what felt like a rev-limiter kick in, with the power pulsing quite aggressively.
I stole a quick down at the tacho and estimate about 8200RPM or thereabouts, but not absolutely sure as I was being crowded by a few other much faster bikes and the workload was a bit high with a lot happening very quickly.
I immediately rolled off the power and the engine immediately felt normal again.
That was during the second of four sessions, and it did not happen again the rest of the day, probably because I was too concerned about what happened and made certain I stayed under 8000RPM after that experience.
I think that was my 8th lap out of about 34 for the day.
I have done another 185km since then and the engine seems fine.
I very much doubt that the KLR has a rev-limiter.
Or am I mistaken?
What else might cause that sensation of power pulsing at high revs?
Valve-spring resonance?
Valve-bounce?
Anything to be concerned about?
Is there anything I should check?
Am going to the Thumper Bash near Ladismith 10-12 August and don’t know if I should be concerned about my engine after that experience or not.