PONTA LONG WEEKEND RIDE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEON DEON

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
Over the past long weekend we visited Ponta as in my planning I wanted to go as the tar road was just about done .
On wednesday we left at 13hoo for our halfway pitstop in Piet Retief . nice ride , huge accident 30 ks out of Delmas , Coal truck headon with a small car , both burnt out and a big backlog of traffic , but on the bike it was no problem and the hold up was not even a min . In Ermelo we stopped for a late lunch and then by 16h00 we were back on the road . I could see the clouds roll in , cold front and it was not long before we were riding in very cold wet mist . Just after 17h00 we arrived in Piet Retief , found our lodging , booked in , changed out of the riding gear into some jeans and went for dinner . On the way in I had my heated grips on as well as the spotlight . Parked the bike and went to bed , as we wanted to get a early start for the border , up at 5 and its raining , light but raining , we decide to leave but take it easy , as it was still dark , fixed the pannier and top box to the bike , pushed it out of the garage and thumbed the start button , Horrors my battery is not cranking the motor , now what ????
I don't have jumper cables on the bike , we decide to push it around the corner to a petrol garage and hopefully they  would be able to help . no battery but a truck driver say he will help , The garage assistant fetched a new jumper cable from stock and we tried to jump start the bike , no luck , found that the cheap chinese cable does not want to do the trick , we stuck ,public holiday and we mite have to wait to find a spares shop that will open , but that could be 2 hours later . I ask around , no jumpers , Then a elderly gent came in to fill up some petrol , Asked him , sure he has a jumper at home and he will go get it , but I have to accompany him , beggars cant be choosers , sdo I leave my madam with the bike and we go to his house , get the cable and return , hook up and the bike starts. Thanked him and  We are on the road again , 1HR 15 lost but we are riding again, rain was not bad and as we neared Pongola it cleared up . Great ride up the mountain to Jozini , and then on to Mangusi it started to drizzle sporadically . Fueled up in Mangusi and off to the border . Craze as their must have been close on 500 people crossing , in the que for about a hr and we were done .
Met up with our friends that was joining us for the weekend , they traveled by jeep . We decided to have a drink at the watering hole just as one gets on to the new tar road . Had one drink and then decided to head for camp to book in . As I turned on the to Ponta road it started to rain again , then stop , then drizzle . Tar road is very nice , it than ends but the road building is good so no problem . Then the nice part ends and one has to ride on a side road , fortunately this was hard pack . As one approached Ponta , maybe 1.5 ks out of town the hard pack stops and its beach sand track .And here the drama starts , did not ride 20 meter before the tires where clogged with sand and the bike had very little traction or direction , came to a stop and dropped the bike . My buddy said i must take the panniers off and put it in the back of the jeep , did so , start bike paddle paddle , no traction , no direction stop drop start again . Sweating like a dog in the rain I made it past the market and on to the hard pack . AWESOME  :laughing4: . Have another kilo to go to the campsite , head out first 200 meter  wobbling but ok , then it starts again , sand fills the tire , no traction , no direction and istop and fall over , drop the bike on it  side as i cant hold it up . 5 times later no more energy a helper says he will ride the bike into the camp site noe 200 meters away . I am bushed , my riding gear is soaked I agree for him to ride my bike but hope he does not get brave and go fast and crash it , not 10 meters away and he nearly drops the bike , but catches it in time . parks the bike in the camp site. We made it , booke in take my wet kit off have a shower and put on some dry clothing and go for a beer . After that I went back and rinsed off my bike . party started and we first stop was Ferandos for some R&R . CRAZE PLACE  :3some:
Weather was not kind to us so we did not get to go for a  swim , but we did support the local economy by pub crawling the rest of the weekend in the Jeep .
Recollecting the events that led to the battery going flat , I did not turn off the spot or the heated grips the night before so when I tried to start the bike the battery still had to power the spot and grips , my mistake , and as for dropping the bike more in one day than in 37 years of biking I don't think there is any solution , I did not deflate my tires , did so on sunday morning but dont think it would have had a better result in preventing the tires becoming sand logged .
As for going to Ponta by bike , the place is a bikers haven , lots go their but dont always advertise the fact .
The road making process is going very well , the sandy bit that I battled with on thursday , had a hardpack side road built by sunday , made the return trip a breeze , and I recon by month end the road works will be completed to the market , by december the tar road will be done .
all in all we had a great time .