SAND RIDING

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEON DEON

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
Was in Ponta this last long weekend , AND  had a hell of a time trying to concur the 1.5 odd ks into the village . Now way back when I started my biking on a 400 thumper , then a 500 and last one owned wat a XT600 TENERE. Did some sand riding on the mine dumps and things went ok i memory serves . Back to the present and my sand battle into Ponta . Yes a thumper is possibly easier to ride that a fully loaded 1190 , 2 up . but in all my years I have never had to let a bike drop as often as I did on this trip . fortunately no damage was suffered  to the bike cant say the same about the ego  :'(.
All this said this was not equil on thursday , it was raining but not hard enough for the water to penetrated into the sand , this caused the sand to stick to the tires and bassily clog them , felt as if i was riding with a flat rear , but also the front was clogged so direction was compromised .
Yesterday I did some research on sand riding , and most of it I am aware of , need for speed come to mind as one need s to get the bike to float on top of the sand and not let it dig in ! but what do you do to start this need for speed when you have little to no traction , tires clogged with sand  making it feel like a flat . I have to admit I did not deflate . On the return try I did deflate and possible it made a difference , but the sand was dry and did not clog the tire up . so things were better.
OK now fire away and let me know how to do this , may more can learn from this .