Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Ben 10 and the Abominable Snowman  (Read 2027 times)

Offline wilfwalk

Re: Ben 10 and the Abominable Snowman
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2018, 10:46:27 am »
Thanks for the video Highsider, - that was great to watch.
My BIL and I did the Tiffendel Traverse and Bastervoetpad about 10 years ago, around Easter so the weather was a lot kinder. He on a Honda crf230F and I on a Honda 125. I had to push the Honda up parts of the CarlisleHoek Pass to Tiffendel ! Too much altitude and too steep for it !
Bastervoetpad was a lot less rocky then. I would like to do it again on my new Honda crf 250 Rally - hopefully no pushing this time.

The video shows how much of a hammering the front wheel / suspension takes in those conditions. Makes one appreciate the engineering that goes into making reliable suspension components. Thanks again for posting the video.

Offline Highsider

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • I find your lack of faith disturbing - Darth Vadar
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2018, 04:03:22 pm »
Not to mention the poor tyres!  They take a proper beating for hours on end and then have to behave on the road home.  Repeat for thousands of km’s. It’s incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's not what you ride, it's how you ride...
KTM 990 Adventure '08
BMW R850R '95
KTM 525 EXC '04

Offline Highsider

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • I find your lack of faith disturbing - Darth Vadar
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2018, 04:07:18 pm »
not sure why but my feet got cold watching that video.

Very nice, Basters is definitely one of my favourite passes, always worth the detour
Funny you mention cold feet.  I couldn’t understand how quickly my feet seemed to freeze inside my boots while walking in the snow.  They weren’t particularly wet.  Then it occurred to me that my MX boots have a steel plate in the sole which conducts cold very efficiently... did kinda miss my old Forma Adventure boots right then.

It's not what you ride, it's how you ride...
KTM 990 Adventure '08
BMW R850R '95
KTM 525 EXC '04

Offline stan1975

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • 33°35'35.71"S 24°40'26.84"E
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2018, 09:43:54 am »
We only had 80km to cover to get to Rhodes.  It was a pleasure riding on gravel without dust, but in many spots there were signs of vehicles struggling in the mud over the last few days.  It was deeply rutted and wet and made for some close calls along the way.  An ideal line through a 50m patch of mud would be to ride inside a deep compacted car track, however this requires excellent balance otherwise the front wheel snatches on the sides.  Fun and games.  Still, to have the sun warming your face while traveling through chilly air is something special.

It wasn’t long and we arrived at Rhodes.  We checked in with the effervescent Margie at Rhodes Tourism and got our key to the backpackers.  After surprising two young lady guests at the backpackers (they were expecting four ‘young bikers’ - Margie must have forewarned them), we unpacked into our shoebox of a room and went to Sean’s lace for fuel. 
After showing the guys around Rhodes we ended up at Walkerbouts Pub where we learned that the TTT (Tiffendell Tenahead Traverse) was under 1m of snow.  There was a couple in the pub who had spent three hours stuck on the road out of Tenahead Lodge.  So there went our plans for the final day of the trip. 
After a good few we headed back to braai at the backpackers.
The (inappropriately named IMHO) Exodus Backpackers is a rather imposing looking establishment which hardly yells “welcome weary travelers!”

Still, at R180pp one can’t be too fussy.  We had dragged our sleeping bags through the whole journey just for this place, since they do not supply bedding.
The braai was a merry affair:

After the braai we retired to the common room where the three groups of guests occupying the place had a few laughs into the night.
Next day was the homeward journey, up and over Naudesnek then some interesting back roads to Matatiele.  Well this was the plan anyway. 

Next time you're in Rhodes rather stay at the Rubicon. Same price for bikers and way better value! Tip of the day right here people!
Ride within yourself, think ahead... Plan your escape route & be safe.... Just remember no one else knows what your thinking until you tell them...