Advice Needed - Second Off-road Motorcycle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoukie

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Good day guys,

Current bike is a GS 1200 ADV, my wife rides a 650 Dakar and together it works perfect for long drives with the occasional good looking gravel road, going on club outings the wife still likes to pillion and sit comfortably at the back so the 1200 stays  :ricky:

Now I sometimes get the urge to be a little more adventurous and was thinking about a smaller more agile ride than the 1200, I know the 1200 can comfortably go anywhere but due to my lack of riding skill I do not feel comfortable taking the 1200 to that place :p The idea is to get a smaller bike to play a little in the dirt, not a MX type ride I still need to get the bike to the gravel. Alternatively I can switch to the Dakar and my wife can ride the smaller, lighter bike as the Dakar is already much lighter than the 1200...

The question now is which bike? I do not want to break the bank so looking for a bike on the cheaper side that I will not feel guilty when I put it down, not that I'm planning to, but you know...

Had a look at a 1984 Honda XL 550 the other day, bike was looking good but felt it was a bit old as I was born in 1984, it was more than that, you could see the person did allot to the bike and felt it was worth more than I was willing to give him :p

Other option is maybe a DR, if I can find one that's not more than 30K. Was also maybe thinking a bmw x-country but in the Western Cape Gumtree does not even register when I do a search... Then there is the g450x but that is maybe to borderline hard enduro, meaning rebuilding every x amount of hours etc. 

Any suggestions you guys have to what I should be looking for before I start looking for it :p