Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 701 Enduro Stalling  (Read 611 times)

Offline Johan10

701 Enduro Stalling
« on: August 20, 2018, 03:49:21 am »
Hi guys,

Hopefully I can get some feedback here...

My 701 has been giving me grief. I have the Rade airbox, GPR exhaust and EVO1 map loaded on the bike.
The bike keeps on stalling when I downshift and blip the throttle. I'll be coming up to a light, coast in third, clutch in, downshift, blip and it just dies. Starts right up when I hit the starter.

This only happens when the bike is warm. The clutch switch is fine and the idle map loads perfectly. It doesn't die if I just pull the clutch and let it idle. Only when I blip the throttle. Sometimes it will "stutter" and the engine nearly dies but most times is just stalls.

I checked the throttle body and air filters seal and it is good. The bike doesn't hang the revs, doesn't idle irregularly, doesn't look for revs so I assume that an air leak is not the issue. Fuel economy is still great so it is not running too rich.

When I blip it feels like the fly-by-wire can't keep up with the movement and it either floods or suffocates the engine. I know that is not very technical but that is the best way I can think of describing it.

My old 990 did the same thing but that had a leak in the fuel line. Once that was sorted it was perfect.

Any ideas where to start looking? Or take it to the dealer and have them sort it out?

Only thing I can think of is a fuel delivery issue? Not so sure if it could be electrical?
Happiness is an open road, a tank full of gas and a hand full of throttle.

Previous : BMW F650 Twin, GS 1200, KTM 990
Current : Husky 701

Offline Dwerg

Re: 701 Enduro Stalling
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 05:28:56 am »
Have you tried the air/fuel and throttle resets? Switch on using key, start, let it idle for 15 minutes with no throttle input, switch off using key. Switch on with, finish loading procedures, slowly open throttle to full, slowly return, switch bike off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Johan10

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 05:41:51 am »
Have you tried the air/fuel and throttle resets? Switch on using key, start, let it idle for 15 minutes with no throttle input, switch off using key. Switch on with, finish loading procedures, slowly open throttle to full, slowly return, switch bike off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dwerg, nog nie maar ek sal dit probeer.
Probleem is, die bike maak so 'n moerse geraas sonder die baffles dat ek nie weet of die mense in my kompleks dit gaan like as hy in die concrete parking garage staan en geraas maak nie.  :imaposer:

Offline BuRP

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 07:51:28 am »
What is a EVO1 map?
What does it do, what does it cost and where did you get it?

What yearmodel is the bike?
I ask because I've heard/read these throttle-reset thingies Dwerg mentions do not work anymore with the newer/current engine - but, if anyone knows the final answer on this (a definite yay or nay) then chime in here pls.
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020

Offline Johan10

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 08:35:31 am »
What is a EVO1 map?
What does it do, what does it cost and where did you get it?

What yearmodel is the bike?
I ask because I've heard/read these throttle-reset thingies Dwerg mentions do not work anymore with the newer/current engine - but, if anyone knows the final answer on this (a definite yay or nay) then chime in here pls.

The EVO1 map is the Akro map that they install with the the akro airbox and exhaust. But if you ask the dealer nicely (and pay AUD90) they load it up if you run a open airbox an free flowing exhaust. Basically the map just richens (right word??) up the fuel mixture as it runs lean on the standard setup for emissions compliance.

It is a 2017 model that I bought a couple of months ago. (Had 1.6km on the clock)

I have also heard that the idle reset does not apply to the post 2014 motors but it is worth a try as the stalling issue is very frustrating.

Offline w@nted

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Ride to Work and Work to ride...
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 09:05:24 am »
Have you checked the fuel filters/pump? Have heard of weird bike behavior when they are dirty.

If it is the fuel pump/filters, the symptoms should be more consistent though, but I would check them just to make sure.
Bikes: Honda CB1, Yamaha XT660R, BMW F800GS, BMW R1200GS DOHC, BMW R1200GS LC Trophy edition, Husqvarna 701 Enduro

The following users thanked this post: Johan10

Offline w@nted

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 08:26:38 am »
Any feedback/solution to the issue yet?
Bikes: Honda CB1, Yamaha XT660R, BMW F800GS, BMW R1200GS DOHC, BMW R1200GS LC Trophy edition, Husqvarna 701 Enduro

Offline BuRP

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 09:01:28 am »
The EVO1 map is the Akro map that they install with the the akro airbox and exhaust. But if you ask the dealer nicely (and pay AUD90) they load it up if you run a open airbox an free flowing exhaust. Basically the map just richens (right word??) up the fuel mixture as it runs lean on the standard setup for emissions compliance.

Thanks Johan.
This sounded good so I queried my dealer.
He confirmed this is the Akra map which he can get.
However there's another option, dyno-ing the bike whilst "opening up" the ECU - which then gives full control & access to any & all parameters, also the altimeter (which apparently does work but rather limited, when 'opened' this works best).
This sounded better to me, no offense pls.
However, I'd prefer to have a choice of maps, the STD one (which I ride with at the moment, no complaints actually, and fuel consumption is frugal) for "getting there" and a proper one for "enjoying once there".
He's unsure if this can be done but will find out and will let me know.

Therefore, if anyone of you reading here knows if this can be done, a switcheable map, then pls chime in here?
If you also know how this must be done even better....  :thumleft:
Note, we're talking about the standard ECU here.
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020

Offline Johan10

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 04:20:27 am »

Thanks Johan.
This sounded good so I queried my dealer.
He confirmed this is the Akra map which he can get.
However there's another option, dyno-ing the bike whilst "opening up" the ECU - which then gives full control & access to any & all parameters, also the altimeter (which apparently does work but rather limited, when 'opened' this works best).
This sounded better to me, no offense pls.
However, I'd prefer to have a choice of maps, the STD one (which I ride with at the moment, no complaints actually, and fuel consumption is frugal) for "getting there" and a proper one for "enjoying once there".
He's unsure if this can be done but will find out and will let me know.

Therefore, if anyone of you reading here knows if this can be done, a switcheable map, then pls chime in here?
If you also know how this must be done even better....  :thumleft:
Note, we're talking about the standard ECU here.

Hi Burp,

I've been running the Akro map now for a while and it seems the EFI has sorted out the stalling issue. Might be down to me changing my riding style a bit, the "throttle reset" Dwerg recommended or the EFI sorting itself out, either way it is not stalling any more. 

I have not seen a change in fuel consumption since changing the mapping. (I normally get the light at about 220 km's, ride until 240 and fill up with 10l of petrol.)

There are some guys on ADVRider that have done what you are asking about. They all run PCV's and load separate maps for commuting and playing around in the bush. For me this is an option too far and too expensive to gain maybe 5hp. I am happy with how the bike runs on the commute and when thrashing it through the forest.
As for the altimeter, I have read some issues on the EFI when (drastically) changing altitude. As I am on the coast, and Australia is pretty flat, this is also not a concern for me as the most altitude I would probably gain is not more than 1000 meters.

Let us know if you decide to get the PCV with custom maps! :thumleft:

Offline Buff

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 06:22:42 am »
Does the 701 also have the little dial under the seat like the 690 where you can change the mapping from 1-3?
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Amsterdam

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 06:40:00 am »
Does the 701 also have the little dial under the seat like the 690 where you can change the mapping from 1-3?

Only on the 2016 model.
KTM 500 XCW, Husqvarna 701, KTM 1190 Adventure

Offline Buff

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 07:40:45 am »

Only on the 2016 model.

:thumleft: interesting, I wonder how the new bike handles bad fuel then if they're all FI?
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline w@nted

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 08:27:50 am »

Only on the 2016 model.

:thumleft: interesting, I wonder how the new bike handles bad fuel then if they're all FI?

It seems that dirty fuel causes the fuel pump to pack up before anything else... :deal:

Offline Ace Venture

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 09:11:38 am »
Mine did the same after installing the under seat tank and removing the airbox, let it idle for 15 min and all sorted.
That was around 8 months ago and it has been 100% since.

The following users thanked this post: Johan10

Offline BuRP

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2018, 10:24:09 am »
Let us know if you decide to get the PCV with custom maps!

I will not, I'll keep the std ECU - but perhaps will have it unlocked/opened and flashed with dynoed values.
This is fully reversible and will be a "tailored for my bike" solution, even tailored for my altitude, rather than an off-some-rack map.
I had the latter in the PC of my CBR600RR, and it ran very good but on the rich side which is the safe side - but this bike I've got for visiting remote far places, hence fuel consumption must be kept good (it actually is).
I've already removed everything environment related and have opened up the intake/exhaust, plus have mounted a way bigger (surface area) fuel filter in the pressurized line, I only need to install Guglatech filters - then it will be as reliable as one can get it.
Power-wise I'm not after the last horsepower (it has plenty!) but want the environmental bits present in the std map negated, which will give an as smooth as possible motor.... and for technical bits this, together with my 12%-dropped gearing, should make this bike better for the purpose I want to use it for.

However, if I can have a map switch then I will, and I'm sure this must be possible - hence me asking here, someone will know I think  ;)

Offline Amsterdam

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2018, 11:15:43 am »
I am personally not a great fan of ECU flashing and didn't want a Power Commander on this bike.  The one item I bought which made a huge difference on the partial throttle opening performance is this - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oxygen-lambda-o2-sensor-eliminator-kit-HUSQVARNA-701-Enduro-Supermoto-SM-FS-FE-/263681586920?hash=item3d64a5b6e8

It really smoothed it out and gets rid of the somewhat erratic feeling.  And I keep my bike's mapping switch (2016 model) in setting 3.  I personally find setting 2 too aggressive for technical stuff.

This all has nothing to do with stalling but is a follow on to the direction this conversation has taken.
KTM 500 XCW, Husqvarna 701, KTM 1190 Adventure

Offline Xchallenge

• Jou Ma is 'n...
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Braaap!
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2019, 08:37:50 pm »
I know this thread is old, but I was going to recommend changing the in-tank fuel filter first, as a clogged up fuel filter, sespecially when warm can cause the bike to cut out.
My KTM 990 used to do the exact same, then I replaced the tea bag fuel filter.

I also wanted to say for those who are considering Power Commanders etc, I honestly believe they are more expensive than the results you get.
I have one, and besides the unit itself, you have to also spend about R2500 to get the bike Dyno Tuned properly by someone in the know.

My bike is a beast now, don't get me wrong, Im loving it, but it almost feels too aggressive to ride comfortably.
When you're in a hooligan mood, and want to be "windgat" its great, but for a long trip or commute to work, its now even more snappy, and I guess I've become used to it, but for those extra 5 or 6hp I don't know if I would do it again if I had a choice.

Anyways, thought I'd share.

Hi guys,

Hopefully I can get some feedback here...

My 701 has been giving me grief. I have the Rade airbox, GPR exhaust and EVO1 map loaded on the bike.
The bike keeps on stalling when I downshift and blip the throttle. I'll be coming up to a light, coast in third, clutch in, downshift, blip and it just dies. Starts right up when I hit the starter.

This only happens when the bike is warm. The clutch switch is fine and the idle map loads perfectly. It doesn't die if I just pull the clutch and let it idle. Only when I blip the throttle. Sometimes it will "stutter" and the engine nearly dies but most times is just stalls.

I checked the throttle body and air filters seal and it is good. The bike doesn't hang the revs, doesn't idle irregularly, doesn't look for revs so I assume that an air leak is not the issue. Fuel economy is still great so it is not running too rich.

When I blip it feels like the fly-by-wire can't keep up with the movement and it either floods or suffocates the engine. I know that is not very technical but that is the best way I can think of describing it.

My old 990 did the same thing but that had a leak in the fuel line. Once that was sorted it was perfect.

Any ideas where to start looking? Or take it to the dealer and have them sort it out?

Only thing I can think of is a fuel delivery issue? Not so sure if it could be electrical?
If you had a psychic midget who killed someone, you would have a small medium at large.