zimbabwe on a bike- time to go.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-9

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
My wife and I have just done a very quick visit to Zimbabwe via Botswana by bike.

At the bots/zim border they battled to find the codes for a bike for the Zimbabwe TIP.  Wasted 40 minutes at the counter while they hunted for the codes, even Harare did not have them??  kept apologising.

Very rude south African officials at the Beit bridge zim/sa border.  We had to walk around to get stamped at the sa exit side as they where busy eating at the counter on the sa entrance side, mouth too full to explain - they just pointed and grunted.  and then gave my wife a lecture for not listening to an official. 

Otherwise brilliant friendly border crossings, except RSA. (welcome home, with a big slap)

There are a few road blocks, before and after each town, but very pleasant and they just wave you through.

Tollgates are free. you stop and go.

The GSA 2018 was a big hit.  Phones where busy reporting a black GSA in Bulawayo with led lights and led dash, when we got to the accommodation, they had followed our progress.

We heard there where two GS800 in town via the bussing network, so bikes are big talk when they come through.

Cash is a big problem, don't try get cash when you get here, there is none.  I paid $10 cash for fuel and I confused the attendant, he did know what to do!  You must take $1 and $5 notes as you don't get change. If you do its bond notes.

Basically it's time for a zim trip, before the road blocks come back (if they do) and or accommodation gets too expensive.

Just don't drive at night, we arrived in Bulawayo as it got dark, everybody cursed at our lights - very few cars have decent lights.

The empty farms with no fences, (Wire stolen, posts still in the ground) was sad, nothing happening.

sad, very sad.

everything stuck in a sad depressed time warp, are we next??