Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: AT fork oil top up  (Read 370 times)

Offline McSack

• Hairy-arsed throttle-slinging
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
AT fork oil top up
« on: August 23, 2018, 03:56:18 pm »
So the seal on my left fork decided to spring a leak on the KZN bash after some muddy riding down there. Managed to clean it all up with the specially developed bush  tool but now want to top up the oil that was lost
Any done this? How complicated a process is opening up the tube on an upside down fork? Tricks or tips?
I don't want to inadvertently drop a spring, nut or circlip down the tube because of something simple I should do and I haven't been able to find anything AT specific by the interwebz

~ Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere and sometimes, in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself ~

Offline IanTheTooth

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
  • The past is a foreign country
Re: AT fork oil top up
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 05:41:21 pm »
Fork oil is a bit like blood in saliva. A little bit goes an awful long way. I wouldn't panic too much about what you've lost and If I start taking things apart I always do the seals anyway. In theory you loosen the top bolts on the triple clamp, take off the top nut assuming it hasn't got some funny preload adjusting plate and collapse the forks fully and take out the springs. At that point you can compare the oil levels and wish you'd taken the whole bloody lot off and changed the seals. I have started to use the hydraulic lock method of pushing out the seals because you seem to give the bushings a real bashing using the knocking apart method.
The dog that caught the car. What now?

Offline McSack

• Race Dog
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 11:20:19 am »
Fork oil is a bit like blood in saliva. A little bit goes an awful long way. I wouldn't panic too much about what you've lost and If I start taking things apart I always do the seals anyway. In theory you loosen the top bolts on the triple clamp, take off the top nut assuming it hasn't got some funny preload adjusting plate and collapse the forks fully and take out the springs. At that point you can compare the oil levels and wish you'd taken the whole bloody lot off and changed the seals. I have started to use the hydraulic lock method of pushing out the seals because you seem to give the bushings a real bashing using the knocking apart method.
:thumleft:
This is the bit I was worried about. But if a little bit of spillage isn't going to cause any big problems then I'm not going to worry about topping up for now.
Got to get the bike in for a service next month anyway so will ask dealer to check (although I can't say I have a very high trust-level on the work quality of dealers)
~ Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere and sometimes, in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself ~

Offline McSack

• Race Dog
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 03:02:46 pm »
FFS!
So on the way home from graft I see the right fork is pissing oil now  >:(
Irritates the living shit out of me!
Granted the 1st 3,000kms of his life was quite tough galavanting around Koakoland , but hells teeth ....the bike has only done 9,000 kays and both sides have already given kak.
In comparison my S10 is coming up for 100k and seals have not shown the slightest evidence of even breaking a sweat ... and that baby has worked moer hard

Spending ammo on shock upgrade is looking more and more likely . Fuck!

Offline netrom

• Vendors
  • Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Vendor
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 01:14:39 pm »
FFS!
So on the way home from graft I see the right fork is pissing oil now  >:(
Irritates the living shit out of me!
Granted the 1st 3,000kms of his life was quite tough galavanting around Koakoland , but hells teeth ....the bike has only done 9,000 kays and both sides have already given kak.
In comparison my S10 is coming up for 100k and seals have not shown the slightest evidence of even breaking a sweat ... and that baby has worked moer hard

Spending ammo on shock upgrade is looking more and more likely . Fuck!

Howzit.

Try get a pair of FORK SOCKS to give them a little extra life :-) you can PM me if you are keen.

Offline McSack

• Race Dog
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 03:29:53 pm »
Thanks @netrom ...already got a set from you and they seem to be working OK. Bike worked hard this weekend so will monitor for any leakage  over the next week or so