Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: bike and travel january 2009  (Read 1305 times)

Offline niels

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
bike and travel january 2009
« on: September 24, 2008, 01:42:23 pm »
Hello there,

I'm a Dutch XLV600 Transalp rider from Amsterdam (Netherlands that is, not Amsterdam, Mpumalanga ;)). For my study I will be doing research near Grahamstown this November and December. After my fieldwork I'm planning on traveling another month (January). My dream of course is traveling by bike, but with my budget (student) I'm not really sure what the possibilities are. Renting is an option but the rental websites I found are mostly European/German companies and pretty expensive. I could also buy a cheap bike and sell it afterwards, but this is quite a risk for one month of riding.

Does anyone know other options? I would appreciate all the help and ideas, and of course if you have a nice trip (SA, Namibia ::)) planned  for January, and a spare bike, let me know!

Bye, en alvast bedankt!
Niels

Offline BMWPE

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Port Elizabeth
Re: bike and travel january 2009
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 03:34:40 pm »
Welcome
There are a few WD in Grahamstown
They might be able to help you
Rallye

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 08:54:02 pm »
Hi Niels.

Welkom!
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline Plaashaas

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 12:37:07 pm »
Hi Welcome

Suggest you buy rather than rent I agree at R1000.00 per day plus insurance etc will work out in excess of 30 000 rand per month which is at todays exchange rate about 10 euros (haha)

you can get very decent bikes (meaning only BMWs) for about 4000-5 000 euros and will never lose a huge amount (it may be difficult to sell it quickly) -- dont forget insurance though

good luck

Current rides: F800GS x 2

Id rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.

Biketrax

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 05:00:56 pm »
edited michnus
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 09:45:56 pm by michnus »

Offline CrazyPorra

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • The Mutton Man
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 06:48:06 am »
Nice intro, first post and you already advertising.  :nono:

Unless of course you where LeCap before. :thumleft:

Offline Bakkie

• is not a
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 08:48:30 am »
 :happy1: nice some mid week entertainment :laughing4:
There are no short cuts to anywhere worth going!
Performance is paramount, niceties only exist if it doesn't affect performance.

Don't rush it, it's helmet time you need, not a destination. Take it easy.

Offline fixit

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 08:58:45 am »
Hi Andre. Welcome to the forum.

At least youre not lurking anymore :thumleft:
Happiness is not getting what you want, but appreciating  what you already have.

Biketrax

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 02:02:33 pm »
Well guys advertising or not, at least I am offering Neils another option. If you had the same dilemma as him (I also had this same problem finding a bike in Europe, but India opened my eyes) that you could only find the big rental companies that charge you an arm and a leg for bike rental what would you have done? I would rather beg borrow or rent a small (Reliable) bike than having no bike at all. I know that some people would rather be seen dead than be seen riding bike that does not have the pedigree like some of the big European bikes (Yes I do ride one of those, but if I can not take it with me any bike will do). Yes I have been ā??lurkingā? until now due to time constraints and business obligations, but things changed for the betterā?¦.. No, I have no affiliation with any of the other bike rental/touring companies in South Africa apart form the fact that I have talked to some of them about collaborating on some aspects. Well guys, thanks for the welcome.

Offline niels

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 06:40:28 pm »
Unfortunately I missed Biketrax' first comment. I've been working the last months, and coudnt check up on this forum. I'm still trying to think of a way to organise a bike for jan. Anyone selling a decent bike in capetown? Or grahamstown, thats where im residing atm. (anyone from grahamstown with a spare bike keen for a ride tomorrow?  :ricky:

Biketrax

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 04:10:32 pm »
Hi Neils,

Are you in Grahamstown at the moment? I am planning a ride through Bafiaanskloof from Oudtshoorn to Grahamstown in January, maybe you would like to join? I will also be doing a trip to Lesuto this month.

Regards