Triumph Tiger 800 vs Bmw 800gs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grunder

Auburn Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
Hi Dogs

I am playing with the idea of swapping in my bike at the end of the year and getting one that is a bit more off the pavement capable.
The 800gs is obviously well known, tried and tested.  I am a big fan of the gs.
That being said, nowadays the tiger 800 is catching my eye as well.

I bit about myself now.
I commute mostly. 60km a day mostly highways.  I do the occasional dirt roads when I get the chance.  I am not hardcore.
I like to take the dirt road less traveled.  But mainly I commute.  I thus need a bike that can still act as a commuter for me (with decent economy) but makes my dirt road riding a bit more pleasurable.  I currently have a nc700x. Economy is very good and is off rad capable but the suspension is very hard.

As I listen to reviews about these two bikes, both seem to be decent commuters.

How does the tiger compare with the gs? I've ridden the gs and it is very comfortable. Very high though, I am 1.74 and on my tippie toes on the gs
The price tag on the Tiger is way better looking than the gs. Why?
And staying in a remote area like Bloemfontein, how will this affect my maintenance on a triumph.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 800gs.  It has always been the bike that I wanted.
But I feel its a bit overrated nowadays.  The triumph feels like something "different" if I can put it that way.
But I don't want to buy something because its different and then I struggle too much with the rest (upkeep, aftermarket extras etc)

Feel free to share your honest opinion about both bikes. 
Don't hold back.

But, don't go and start suggesting other bikes though.  Lets stick to the topic.

Thanx  :thumleft: