Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Motocrossers from the past and the present.  (Read 1140 times)

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S33°54.712 E018°28.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
Re: Motocrossers from the past and the present.
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2018, 09:09:03 pm »
Peter Claxton now lives in Brisbane, Australia, he was a good Cape-based MXer...

He was known to either WIN a race, OR brake his bike trying, something of a Wild Man. Remember him riding the ‘Superbowl/Wall of Death’ back in the day, on the Hout Bay dunes, no riding restrictions there back in the 80’s...

He showed me what a power band was, I did not understand the concept of on/off throttle on a PE 400 (?), coming from a lowly CG125!

Another rider I saw on Saturday at Woodstock ManCave was Mark Connolly, if anyone remembers his antics on 2 wheels?!
Chris
bike@flyingbrick.co.za CHRISTOPER L 021 510 6455  service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455
sales@flyingbrick.co.za ANDRE 021 510 6455
orders@flyingbrick.co.za WERNER 021 510 6455
info@flyingbrick.co.za CHRIS G

Offline Grant650x

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2018, 09:44:44 pm »
Rex Staton is back in the USA and still racing
He was one of the original hard bastards - he would punch guys on the start line if they tried to grab his start gate
He used to do a lot of boxing in his youth

Grant Maben lived in Houtbay for a long time - one armed bandit with all the fast cars and hot chicks

Peter Claxton lives in Airlie beach north of Brisbane and was winning Queensland age group titles up until a couple of years ago when he broke his neck on a jump
Despite how people talk about the free medical being so great in Oz his wife said if they did not have medical aid he would be in a wheel chair now
I remember a hell of a race that Peter had with Rex at Malmesbury nationals one year

I think Robbie Herring still manages the UK MX des Nations teams occasionally he raced for the factory Yammaha team on the GP circuit

Colin Dugmore raced the GP circuit for a long time out of Germany

Offline Clockwork Orange

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2018, 08:00:25 am »
There is a Heydays Of Motocross Face Book Group. Some really great pics being uploaded there on a regular basis and many of the top riders of those days are quite active such as Robert and Russell Campbell, I think Russel Beattie is also on there and loads more.

C'mon guys need more pics here!!
When in doubt...grab throttle!!!

Offline Dorsland

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2018, 08:53:18 am »
That would be great to read, (un)fortunately  ;) I'm not on FB.
'Tis the time’s plague, when madmen lead the blind.

King Lear

Offline Clockwork Orange

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2018, 12:39:32 pm »

You are better off without FB :thumleft:
When in doubt...grab throttle!!!

Offline Dirty Boy

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Son, thats not how I showed you......
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2018, 01:04:23 pm »

That is sad.  :o You miss out on all you friends and people you dont know telling you when they are going for a shower, photos of their food, lots of motivational quotes, their idyllic lifestyle and obviously not a care in the world. As said by Clockwork Orange, you are way better off without it.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2018, 01:08:28 pm »
He was one of the original hard bastards - he would punch guys on the start line if they tried to grab his start gate

Rex Staten was a friend of my dad way back in the early 80's - he came to SA and raced for Yamaha and used the old Yamaha Cape Town in Strand street as his racing base - he bought me lunch a few times when I cleaned his race bikes in school holidays! I must have the signed posters somewhere inn a box.....
My dad was the parts manager there in the day - we used to spend loads of weekends at Killarney MX & Roads circuits with customer demo bikes - I leaned to ride there.....
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2018, 02:51:50 pm »

Rex Staten was a friend of my dad way back in the early 80's - he came to SA and raced for Yamaha and used the old Yamaha Cape Town in Strand street as his racing base - he bought me lunch a few times when I cleaned his race bikes in school holidays! I must have the signed posters somewhere inn a box.....
My dad was the parts manager there in the day - we used to spend loads of weekends at Killarney MX & Roads circuits with customer demo bikes - I leaned to ride there.....
From an interview :

"I always made a few bucks, but did real good when I raced in South Africa. I had a contract for $150,000 per year plus win money that paid me $3,000 per win"

Wow now we are at R15.2 to a dollar  :o
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Help make the TSAT a reality
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241580.msg4325284#msg4325284

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S33°54.712 E018°28.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2018, 03:40:32 pm »

Quote from: Dirty Boy on Today at 01:04:23 pm>That is sad.  :o You miss out on all you friends and people you dont know telling you when they are going for a shower, photos of their food, lots of motivational quotes, their idyllic lifestyle and obviously not a care in the world. As said by Clockwork Orange, you are way better off without it.
Very, very well said, gave me QUITE the chuckle!  :thumleft:

bike@flyingbrick.co.za CHRISTOPER L 021 510 6455  service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455
sales@flyingbrick.co.za ANDRE 021 510 6455
orders@flyingbrick.co.za WERNER 021 510 6455
info@flyingbrick.co.za CHRIS G

Offline Bommelina

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2018, 07:21:20 am »
Ahh Those were the days my friend, I thought they’d never end. Afgeval en seer gekry, op geklim en weer gery.

Rosherville, Back of the Moon, Brickcor  - are they still in existence?

It was the mid-seventies. I had an YZ250, converted to run on Ethanol, or was it Methanol? So long ago, cannot even remember. Those days during the 70’s fuel crises, racing were not allowed using petrol.

Pair of cheap boots, jeans, rugby jersey with the number ‘plakked’ on with contact adhesive, garden (gardenia) gloves and away you go.

Even made the pages of BikeSA, the day I managed to wipe out 20 of the 24 contenders at the first corner, now that was a pile up of humongous capacity.  :biggrin: Was in front till the final lap when I wiped myself out within site of the checkered flag. Damnn.

hh

ps. Attached are two .pdf (MX001 & MX002) files with some photographs of that time.

Offline Whethefakawe

« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2018, 03:31:04 am »
None of those old tracks exist anymore. Not sure about places like Hammarsdale, Killarney etc in other provinces. Of course Syringa shut down last eyar after the owner was murdered for a bag of Simba chips or whatever. I poked around on Google Earth last night, Tarlton is completely gone, although one can still see outlines of the track. Looks like even the grandstand is gone. Brickor completely gone, and I can't remember where Rosherville and Back of the Moon were, so can't even begin to look for them. Rosherville was somewhere around Germiston if I remember right, BOTM north-east of Pretoria somewhere, maybe near Cullinan?

I notice two tracks just behind Krugersdorp station, across Main Reef Road from that big mine dump that's being reclaimed. I think that was the location of the Durban Deep track back then, although it looks closer to the road now than I remember. Over 400 bikes would race local races on busy days there in 1983. Earlier, in 1980/1, there had been another "Durban Deep" closer to Roodepoort somewhere off Main Reef, very sandy and whooped out but that wasn't an formal track, just a riding area that became popular and attracted locals. I seem to remember it was on mine property and there were signs to that effect.

I'd be very curious and pleased to find out where BOTM was - anyone know? 
You been using dogsh*t for toothpaste, Mullet?

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2018, 05:57:56 am »
I raced BOTM, all I recall is heading north to PTA,  sadly they all gone, Syringa still there but property has been demolished vandalised since Janny murder.. Anyone remember Eureka sands a practice track out fourways area, off what is now Cedar road,. I saw a video recently of hammersdale or rather whats left.  its called progress :'(
twin shox, twin drum air cooled

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2018, 08:30:44 am »
Hell, now there's a blast from the past ............... Eureka Sands ..... it became Dainfern, didn't it?

Dirt Bronco is the name of that track in Krugersdorp, opposite the big dump. I remember riding that area in the 80s but don't remember a track being there or thereabouts. But I do remember the mine property signs.
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline BullFrog

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Previously Naartjie
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2018, 08:35:40 am »
Great to see so many with memories that I have as well!

Thanks for sharing your stories and keep them coming!

We used to have a team under the 'Magnum Motor Spares' banner consisting of myself, Peter Hills, Trevor Hills, Larry Kirsten, Dean Nel and my sister, Maureen.

It was lekker having the old man foot the bills!!! NEVER really appreciated it until later in life.

@Bommelina, ek het nie geweet jy was 'n mx'er in jou jonger dae nie..  :ricky: :ricky:
‘I just get up every morning and go out. And I don’t let the old man in,’ Clint Eastwood

Offline shark_za

• Old Boys Club
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • KTM 300
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2018, 10:20:43 am »
Eureka Sands was Suzuki Daytona later one, the current MX track is Tera Topia that is built on the wash of from the JHB sewerage works.  ;(

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2018, 05:48:07 am »
Close to TT and Daytona , but west of the river as I recall, Even TT on the sewage wash is now defunct, housing project took it over, the new TT is at northern farm, next to kdorp freeway

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2018, 09:57:55 pm »
Eureka Sands was Suzuki Daytona later one, the current MX track is Tera Topia that is built on the wash of from the JHB sewerage works.  ;(
That track just looks wrong, like it's built on a slope where you have to hang of the side of the bike ! Guessing it's the one next to the Krugersdorp highway ?
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Help make the TSAT a reality
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241580.msg4325284#msg4325284

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2018, 06:14:18 am »
Thats the one , not bad a few off corner cambers, the slope has no effect on it. they are also building a small enduro loop around there. I have good few pics from the day will start to post.

Offline Whethefakawe

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2018, 06:26:10 am »

Niiiice. Remember all that fun you had playing in the “mud” and getting roosted? Remember the times you had “mud” up your nose and in your mouth?   :imaposer:

Word of advice, for okes who ride in the minedumps. The old Durban Deep track and surrounding area, with fun dune-like dumps, consisted of very nasty chemically polluted soil. Those snowy white dumps were/are very corrosive, as I found out to my detriment.  Generally speaking, mines are huge polluters and the immediate areas are very toxic. If you ride there, DON’T ride through bodies of water and wash your bike very thoroughly as soon as you get home.

I mean, they used cyanide extensively in the old days to refine gold........stay away.

On another note, I’ve narrowed down where Back of The Moon was, currently doing an aerial recce by google earth, will post anything constructive I find  :biggrin:
You been using dogsh*t for toothpaste, Mullet?

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2018, 06:35:15 am »
Agree on the roost. its also a bygone thing, one of the main reason i dont do local trail riding here, places like maraisburg, i think its an unwritten rule no roosting, your mate might die from the sewage and other toxic wastes, also wash as soon as finish riding the dunes . I have seen a few bikes left for a few days and the sand and mud is so corrossive especially on the ally bits, i magine your face :-\,