Re: DR not starting - still not SORTED

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanti

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Hi all , I seem to have a problem with my bike and I would like to fix it myself if at all possible so am looking for a bit of advice
Background
2013 DR650se with only 4000kms bought last year - side stand and clutch safeties have been properly disconnected following this guide - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rysXzHd18qk&feature=youtu.be
bike is standard with no upgrades or additional electrical components
left the lights on and the battery drained ( was during the day and I hoped off to do some work on the farm and didn't notice I had left it on )
charged the battery overnight
then I tried to start the next day the motor just turns and turns
Checked if there was fuel - yes
Checked for obstructions in air - none
checked for spark - now here is where its interesting --was looking at the spark plugs to check if there is spark , when the tip of the spark plug touches the motor there is no spark , if I take insulated pliers and hold the spark plug away from the motor then a spark jumps to the motor ????? this would then seem when the spark plug is in the motor there will be no spark , I think this is my problem
what should I be checking for next ? I have ordered new spark plugs but this problem is the same for both spark plugs so it seems unlikely that both would fail  ....
Any advice would be most appreciated