640 ADV vs 525 EXC vs smaller

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJN

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha TW200
Hey Team

Hope that I can gain a bit of knowledge here...

My history with bikes was a DT 125 growing up, then a long break followed by a 640 Adventure and then a TW 200.

Now some of the ride reports and threads on this site make for a very compelling argument in favour of a 500 EXC / 525 etc.

I'm looking for a machine for the occasional (once / twice a week) non highway 20km commute and then weekend day trips on as much dirt road / single track (NOT Roof of Africa stuff) as possible. Ideally, one day, a Kaokoveld mission is my dream.

I am 177cm, 72kg.

The 640 was a bit too powerful, big and heavy for me and my skill level at the time and even for what I want now.
The TW 200 I loved but the ergonomics, even with bigger bars were too small and it could do with 50% more power and obviously better suspension etc.

Ideally, Lotto winning would result in a new KTM or Husqvarna 350 registered for road use but I don't know if I want to spend R 100 k, or even R 70 k on this option.

I've just seen a XCW 200 2 stroke that is road registered on Gumtree. I am aware that 2 strokes may require more maintenance and are a bit less refined - correct?

1) Is a 2 stroke feasible for Dual Sporting or should it stay as a pure dirt bike?

2) In a nutshell, will I find the 525 (there's a nice looking one on Gumtree, road legal, for R 30k) too hectic or is it quite manageable for dual sporting?

3) Those that have ridden the 640 and 525 - are they similar in terms of pull or is the lighter 525 even more hectic?