Electrical problem on R1200 GSA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jan Stander

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Seeing that it was raining the whole day, I decided to work on the bike and change the oil and oil filter
Having finished that, I switched the ignition on to start the engine. Everything came on as normal, but cranking sounded a bit weak, as though the battery was on its way out. I immediately stopped that.
The starter button was pressed in for less than one second. The ignition flashed twice and then went dead. Took out my volt-meter and checked the battery in situ, and it registered about 4.5 volts with the ignition still "on". I removed the battery to put it on the charger, and just before connecting it to the charger I took a reading again, and it was at 12.6v (???)
I cleaned the terminals properly, both on the battery and the cables (it seemed a bit dirty) and put the battery back. Took a reading again with the battery connected and ignition "off" It registered 12.6v.  While the voltmeter was connected, I switched the ignition "on" again.  The reading came down immediately to 4.5v (???) but the ignition was dead. No lights came on, NOTHING!
Removed the battery again and bring in the big bakkie battery. Connected the cables via jumper cables to the battery, and took a reading of that as well while switching from "off" to "on". Reading constantly at 12.4V. No ignition lights came on, NOTHING.
Any idea of what the problem may be,  PLEASE.......?