Lesotho -> Ongeluksnek to Lady Grey

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stan1975

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
Good evening WDs,

I've been dormant for a bit, sold my GS1200 moved towns etc.

But anyway we're planning our annual camping trip normally bikes only but we're getting older & grumpier so we're expanding our gene pool and casting the net a little wider to include backup vehicles! We hate tar and prefer to travel on gravel, some of us (like me) like it rough single track, others not too much more two spoor, and my Dad in his Subaru Forester 2007 prefers the gravel highways.

Having never entered Lesotho via every available border post except Ongeluksnek, we decided to tick the bucket list and get an Ongeluksnek stamp in our passports.

Route attached, variations welcome, we'll adapt if the weather is crappy (via Qacha's Neck keeping to tar)

This is day two of our seven day trip and the only one I'm having reservations about because up to date info on the condition of the pass aren't readily available and also I'm not 100% sure of the route I've chosen through Lesotho.

Any advise suggestions will be welcome.

I'll be taking my MacBook along for the ride and will try to do a live RR as we roll.

Vehicles and bikes as follows:-
KTM 690 R
KTM 300 XC-W
BMW 650 Dakar
Navara 4.0 V6 4x4 - Fully kitted for overlanding, 240 litre fuel tank and and and... it drinks fuel this thing
Subaru Forest XS 2.5 AWD

Look forward to stocking response to my first post since Feb 2014 when I sold my beloved GS!

Snippet of the mainly dirt days below:-

Monday 29th October
Depart Cedarberg Guestfarm 9am for Lady Grey (camping at Karnmelkspruit) via Ongeluksnek & Lesotho (2 possibly 3 routes routes to choose from weather dependent) (310kms - 6.5Hrs driving time)

Tuesday 30th October
Depart Karnmelkspruit 9am for Balloch Farm Wartrail District  (Via Isted's Farm, Joubert's Pass & Lundin's Nek) 150kms +- 4.5Hrs driving time

Wednesday 31st October
Depart Balloch 9am for Ugie via Baster Voetpad and back to Balloch either same route or via Bottlenek pass or via Barkly depending on the time (111km there +- 157km back = 278km Total & 6hrs drive time)

Thursday 1 November
Depart Balloch 9am for Tiffindell (Bidstone Pass), Tenahead Lodge (Mountain Traverse), Naudes Nek, Rhodes back to Balloch (152km +- 5hrs drive time)

Attachments

• Ongeluksnek to Karnmelkspruit.kmz
    22 KB · Views: 18