Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Carbon Fibre plane repairs  (Read 409 times)

Online tau

• hasbeen and a
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • The Tool from Tulbagh
    • View Profile
Carbon Fibre plane repairs
« on: September 14, 2018, 12:53:08 pm »
My Dad had a little accident in his CTSW. Some carbon fibre repairs is needed. We have been in contact with the Chris Adrian that build gliders in GP, but he is too busy.

Maybe somebody here knows of a company that does repairs.

Dankie

Offline Dux

Re: Carbon Fibre plane repairs
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 04:12:55 pm »
There was a guy in Killarney Gardens / Montague Gardens that made a carbon fibre aircraft , I think the aircraft is at Morningstar airfield , company name was Produx
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline Tampan

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 06:56:34 am »
Peter How is extremely knowledgeable inthis field and heís hangar is here in my farm. I donít know whether heíll be able to help, but might be worth the try.
Heís built quite a few composite aircraft and components in his time and a few years back, he built his own yacht, here on the farm.
MTN 256 0581

Online tau

• hasbeen and a
  • The Tool from Tulbagh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 07:09:26 am »
There was a guy in Killarney Gardens / Montague Gardens that made a carbon fibre aircraft , I think the aircraft is at Morningstar airfield , company name was Produx

He is also too busy with other projects.

At the moment my das has almost given up and wants to transfer the motor, seats, avionics to a different plane. Savanna, Sling or Bushbaby, but it is like stripping a Supercar to build a doublecab. The CTSW is not a bushplane, but it moves and it can do big distances. The plane is really not that badly damaged.

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 08:09:29 am »
Get hold of thomas eich at Omega in jhb
The older I get the faster I was

Online tau

• hasbeen and a
  • The Tool from Tulbagh
    • View Profile
Carbon Fibre plane repairs
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 10:15:08 pm »
. The wings was removed at incident site, they didnít break of. Dead engine landing so no prop strike.

Front wheel broke when plane hit a ditch on dead engine emergency landing and plane slid on the remains of front gear until it dug in and flipped gat oor kop and landed on the roof.

Damaging the tail also. Such a shame as my das was busy with his conversion. I have never even flown in it.

Engine ďdidnít want to cone onto even idle after power back on climb over mountains. My dad pulled back and oneside of cylinders wouldnít back off. So my Dad and instructor assumed oil burning and causing engine to run away. Cut engine and look fir safe area to land. Was over friends farms so my Dad new of a pathin wheat field where crop sprayers land sometimes. He did everything perfectly came in to land and as he was about to touch a dich was dug thru the 1.2 km stip just at this one place . Too little speed he tride to jump it, but the front wheel clipped it . When thet inspected engine after incident a mouse chewed thru paper air filter and made nest in the cowling. This paper and mice gat stuck in throlle mechanisms causing throttle to jam open and nit being able to close. So the motor is still 100%. At this stage my dad Magni Gyre, a friends R22 and another Gyro was also in the same hanger!!!  Check people check over everything mm of their planes after this.

The airfilter was inspected 10 days before incident.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 08:59:10 pm by tau »

Offline Tampan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 07:11:31 am »
Wow, that looks lke substantial damage. I donít have any experience with composites, but wonder whether this will be repairable to a 100%, safe to fly, condition?

Offline Skipskop

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • ;-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 09:48:07 am »
Jip, my whole engine cowl comes o with ever pre-flight.We imported the first couple of CT`s and I have my instr rating on this baby. Shame to see it like this. Call Russell Phillips in P.E and see if he can put you onto somebody , here in P.E are a good couple of builder and he knows all of them. You will need a good guy that knows his story >> That bayby probably cost new around 1.4 bar and would be worth spending a  couple of bucks on  it. Anyway,good luck with the repairs, hope you can save the little pocket Rocket !
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 09:49:26 am by Skipskop »
" Of all the things I lost in life, what I miss the most, is my mind"
DRZ 400 E ,1200GS WR450- KLR650 Side-car
Yamaha CV80 Beluga
"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing"
"Old age is not for the inexperienced" "If you haven't grown up by age 50 , you don`t have to"

Online tau

• hasbeen and a
  • The Tool from Tulbagh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 01:25:25 pm »
Jip, my whole engine cowl comes o with ever pre-flight.We imported the first couple of CT`s and I have my instr rating on this baby. Shame to see it like this. Call Russell Phillips in P.E and see if he can put you onto somebody , here in P.E are a good couple of builder and he knows all of them. You will need a good guy that knows his story >> That bayby probably cost new around 1.4 bar and would be worth spending a  couple of bucks on  it. Anyway,good luck with the repairs, hope you can save the little pocket Rocket !
My Dad has given up hope, and is looking into transfering al the usable stuff to a Sling or Something. He is a Gyro copter guy so not that much into planes. I an starting to look at my options to start flying and would love to fly the CTSW again. Otherwise a STOL plane for Namibie. I can make little runways on the farms where the CT sw wonít be comfortable for a noob pilot, but this is still far away. Hope one is getting the CTsw flying again. The new price is around R2.3 mil apparently which is too much for this.

My Dad has found a Sling 4 that is half built, but that needs a 914.

Offline Skipskop

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • ;-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 03:04:39 pm »
Tau, wow so many options. The fist CT`s we brought in was 60k euro`s at R12  . think it came to 720k ZAR or something. Yes the CT is deff not a STOL airplane. I can really not sea anybody tackling that job without getting mostly new parts, the risk is just soo high. And there is  really no way to see if there are any hidden  cracks.  The sling sounds good, if  you ca  use your engine and other parts, but still gonna cost you a  wad of cash , But hoping you all the best with your flying. 
" Of all the things I lost in life, what I miss the most, is my mind"
DRZ 400 E ,1200GS WR450- KLR650 Side-car
Yamaha CV80 Beluga
"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing"
"Old age is not for the inexperienced" "If you haven't grown up by age 50 , you don`t have to"

Online tau

• hasbeen and a
  • The Tool from Tulbagh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 05:47:50 pm »
Ja another guy in JHB just replied he will not touch wings or tail

I have a liking towards the Savanah or Kitplanes Africa Safari.

Offline nemodakar

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 09:25:08 pm »

Go for the Savanah, and if you have big hairy ones , go for the tail dragger.

I did my license on the Savanha and if short field take off and landings are your thing, she will be  a good call.

By the way, Tony van Vliet is selling ICG for I think 650 000, top condition.

Offline Tampan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 06:57:51 am »

My thoughts as well. Whoever repairs this aircraft will have to take responsibility for it and should anything go wrong afterwards, that might be traced back to the repair as a possible cause, the person responsible may be sued into oblivion. Few, if any, will accept the risk, unfortunately.

Online tau

• hasbeen and a
  • The Tool from Tulbagh
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 11:13:01 am »
Thank you all. I must sell bikes and do my license before I can even think of flying, and at the moment as when I was 16 bikes are more important to me.

I am however very interested in a STOL plane adventure in Namibia.

Offline Fransw

• Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 09:08:34 pm »
Thank you all. I must sell bikes and do my license before I can even think of flying, and at the moment as when I was 16 bikes are more important to me.

I am however very interested in a STOL plane adventure in Namibia.

Tau, Pierre vd Walt from 'Sport plane builders' at Wonderboom knows composite materials. He builds the Ravin 500, complete composite frame! Maybe he can help you with the carbon fibre repairs?..

On STOL adventures: the guys from www.flyingfrontiers.com  does bush flying adventures into Nam!