Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2015 Trophy - Front end/Steering suddenly became sensitive/loose after 22000km  (Read 839 times)

Offline Gertjie Grondpad

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
Hy guys,

My 2015 Trophy's - Front end/Steering suddenly became sensitive/loose after 22000km.

This is noticeable at very low, low and very high speeds - tar or gravel.

Tyre pressures/wear is not the issue.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Will visit my dealer on Monday

Thanx
Gert

Offline JABO

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Centurion
Paar goed wat jy na kan kyk.

Eerstens is die vurke recall gedoen.

Jy het dalk n balance weight verloor. Op verskillende spoed maak dit n verskil.

Kyk of jou speke almal vas is. Gebruik n skroewedraaier en tik elke speek.
Skerp geluid is goed. Dowwe geluid beteken hy is los.

Dalk is steering dampener los.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Freedom is when you get to a T-junction and think to yourself.
AAAAAAAAAAAAGH I think I'll go left.

www.riot-gear.co.za

Offline TheBear

• KilRoy die haas!
  • Forum Whore
Check if the right side connection of the steering damper (where it attaches to the fork) is still on tight.
.#BRADICAL!

Offline K-9

My first LC wear was the issue.  I rode about 350 kms with a howling gale from the one side.  Did the eco and had a few scary wobbles, blamed the sand.  On the ride home to Durban I could not go over 150 without a scary wobble.

I took it straight to Ryder, absolutely no sight of uneven wear, on the fairly newish tyre, they borrowed a front wheel (with permission from the owner) from a bike having a service and I took it for a spin, absolutely immediate difference. 

so I replaced the front. 

Great family 4x4 accommodation ... see Facebook, Google maps and airbnb.. Mkulu Kei / Wild Wind Ranch

Bikes owned in the past: AC50, AC100, SP370, XT185E, GS550CE, DL650 V-strom, GS650, DR650, GSA1200 2009, GSA1200 2011: GSA1200LC 2014, GS800.

Still own or sponsor today: GSA 1200 LC tft adventure 2018, Honda CTX200 bushlander, Yamaha rhino 660, GS800 2011 (daughter), GSA1200 adventure LC 2016 (son).

Offline Gertjie Grondpad

Hi guys, thanks to all for your inputs, I will look into it. Rode on Sunday again and nearly lost the bike doing around 150km/h in a bend hitting a slight bump in the road - scary.. 

Offline Jonathan

Forgive being a nuisance, but has the issue been sorted yet ?
What was the prognosis & what did you have to do to carry out the repair ?

Offline Gertjie Grondpad

Sorry for the late reply - no not sorted yet - we are playing around with the back suspension settings - keep in mind it's a Trophy edition - no electronic suspension. It feels a little better but we are not addressing the problem. I still think the problem is in the front - feels like suspension/damping/steering related. Even when going over a bump when cornering at very low speed I can feel the diffs in handling - feels shaky and nervous...the moment the front wheel hits the bump I feel the problem before it can translate to the back - also riding in a straight line when I deliberately move the handle bars it is more sensitive than before...I think steering damper but the clever people say if it's not leaking it's fine?   

Offline Jughead

• Old rail tunnel, Cradock.
  • Forum Whore
  • Port Elizabeth
.I think steering damper but the clever people say if it's not leaking it's fine?

Maybe it's not leaking because it has already leaked all it can and is now without anything more to leak.

Disconnect one end and try to move the damper on its own by hand.  If it moves freely without much resistance, then you have found the fault.
I came here to drink milk and kick arse!  And i've just finished my milk.
http://www.dsmc.co.za        http://www.triumphowners.com/to-car/mkiii/
Supplier of Ticket to the Moon Hammocks   http://www.ticketothemoon.com             

Offline JABO

• Centurion
.I think steering damper but the clever people say if it's not leaking it's fine?

Maybe it's not leaking because it has already leaked all it can and is now without anything more to leak.

Disconnect one end and try to move the damper on its own by hand.  If it moves freely without much resistance, then you have found the fault.
Also if you turn the steering in full motion as fast as you can and aggressively side to side you will definately feel resistance.

www.riot-gear.co.za

Offline Gertjie Grondpad

Thanx for your input guys, I will do that test.....

Offline Nish

Any update for us Gert ?
4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul..

Offline Gertjie Grondpad

Hi guys, all I can say is after fitting a new set of tyres ( Karoo Streets ) the bike handles 90 % better - as we all know fresh rubber is always a good thing - not sure if that was the problem..... I like the Streets.... better off road and about the same onroad

Offline Marius in Afrika

Hi all

My 2013 bike is behaving similarly as above.

In short the steering bar moves by it self from left to wright and back in a repeating pattern which are triggered by the load / speed combination.
With myself (and the empty top box) on the bike this behavior starts at plus minus 190 and becomes more violent as the needle is pushed further north.
With myself, top box and two panniers on the bike this behavior starts at plus minus 160.
I always weigh the panniers and balance the loads, max load 17 kg each (including pannier).
This behavior is also noticeable when heavy braking is used at medium to high speeds.

The brakes pads have been changed and their are no signs of uneven braking.
I went back to a standard GSA screen, had a large Puig on the bike before.
This resulted in a large improvement in the handling.

Now i want to get the lacing checked (and adjusted) for a high accuracy rim.
Any suggestion of really good people around whom i can I approach to get this done?

Regards
Marius

Offline JABO

• Centurion
Hi all

My 2013 bike is behaving similarly as above.

In short the steering bar moves by it self from left to wright and back in a repeating pattern which are triggered by the load / speed combination.
With myself (and the empty top box) on the bike this behavior starts at plus minus 190 and becomes more violent as the needle is pushed further north.
With myself, top box and two panniers on the bike this behavior starts at plus minus 160.
I always weigh the panniers and balance the loads, max load 17 kg each (including pannier).
This behavior is also noticeable when heavy braking is used at medium to high speeds.

The brakes pads have been changed and their are no signs of uneven braking.
I went back to a standard GSA screen, had a large Puig on the bike before.
This resulted in a large improvement in the handling.

Any suggestion of really good people around whom i can I approach to get this done?

Regards
Marius
Does you 2013 have a steering dampener?
If not, maybe start there.

www.riot-gear.co.za

Offline BuRP

Give Offroad Cycles in Pretoria a call, as I know they do this.
Their quality is outstanding by what I've seen, hell, they even stock various new wheels they build.
Mind, they're not a BMW-only outlet so some laarny types perhaps may not like this, but they do know their stuff.
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro, KTM 790 Adv R, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally ordered

Offline JABO

• Centurion

Their quality is outstanding by what I've seen, hell, they even stock various new wheels they build.
Mind, they're not a BMW-only outlet so some laarny types perhaps may not like this, but they do know their stuff.
Agreed. They will sort you out.

www.riot-gear.co.za

Offline Casting from Turd

• Read my avatar and act accordingly
  • Forum Whore
    • addobackpackers.com

Agreed. They will sort you out.

And you get a wild Dog discount
I dont want to ride fast, But I want to ride FAR
Past Bikes...Honda XR250 Tornado
Honda XR650L
Honda XL1000V Varadero
http://www.addobackpackers.com

Offline BuRP

And you get a wild Dog discount

You know, I am really baffled why this always is mentioned when Offroad Cycles is concerned!
Beserker was in Pretoria last weekend (he's a Capie) so we went there, for a coffee.
The reason was he'd never been been there before, he wanted to see what's what.
He remarked that they stock more goodies than all the offroad shops in Cape Town together, in fact I had to pry him out of there to go home!
They do have a lot, and I've never thought I've been robbed there, on the contrary actually.
Good coffee too!  :thumleft:

Oh, before Chris from die Vliegende Baksteen (he's in CT) will chirp in here: I will still come for coffee at your pozzie when I'll be there bru, no worries  :P
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro, KTM 790 Adv R, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally ordered

Offline Marius in Afrika

Hi guys

Thanks for responding.  :thumleft:

Steering damper - The bike is fitted a Hy-Pro adjustable unit which i now set at nine clicks turned in from fully open / loose (adjustment range = 23 clicks). Increasing the number of clicks makes matters worse as the movement is transferred into the bike frame.

Will give Offroad Cylces a call.