Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: CRF250L or CRF 250 Rally suspension  (Read 1855 times)

Offline Crispie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Need a Concrete Deck? PM me!
    • Voidcon
CRF250L or CRF 250 Rally suspension
« on: September 16, 2018, 09:00:31 pm »
I only find out after I bought the bike that there suspension is not great. Designed for 45kg person. Did anyone local as in South Africa done a successful upgrade that is not going to cost me 50% of the bikes purcase price?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 02:37:43 pm by Crispie »

Offline superfoxi

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Professional motorcycle and suspension services
Re: CRF250L or CRF 250 Rally suspension
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 09:03:59 pm »
I can put a stiffer spring on and re-valve the shock for more rebound damping. That would be your cheapest option.
Just contact me if you are interested.

Online sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 07:13:58 am »
Which one did you buy ? They have different suspension. Rally is ok on the front, bad in the back. L I have never ridden and dont know but it does have less travel than the Rally.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Crispie

• Race Dog
    • Voidcon
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 02:39:10 pm »
Which one did you buy ? They have different suspension. Rally is ok on the front, bad in the back. L I have never ridden and dont know but it does have less travel than the Rally.

2018 CRF250L

Online deapsquatter

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 07:12:27 am »
Here are my rear sag measurements. 250 Rally with pre-load maxed out. Rider weight 76kg (without gear):

Total:  695
Static: 635
Rider:  570

Not ideal.

Using the racetech website I get the following as a rear spring recommendation. I would not have expected the recommended to be so close to the stock given my rider sag should be about 40mm higher (based on total rear travel of 260mm x 0.33). I'm an armchair expert so it would be great if @superfoxi can comment on this :)

« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 07:35:45 am by deapsquatter »

Offline blauth

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 08:20:56 am »
Here are my rear sag measurements. 250 Rally with pre-load maxed out. Rider weight 76kg (without gear):

Not ideal.

Using the racetech website I get the following as a rear spring recommendation. I would not have expected the recommended to be so close to the stock given my rider sag should be about 40mm higher (based on total rear travel of 260mm x 0.33). I'm an armchair expert so it would be great if @superfoxi can comment on this :)

I agree with what you say. This is for the L model which is lighter than the Rally but still too light. When you put some luggage, even worse. I'm guessing a spring rate of 70nm for the L and 74 for the Rally for a rider that is 80kg+

Offline superfoxi

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 08:22:12 pm »

Not ideal.

The Racetech spring rate calculator is not always very accurate - and sometimes completely wrong.
You should first set your static sag to around 30mm (+/-5mm) and then measure the rider sag (should be around 1/3rd of the complete suspension travel). Chances are that the spring is so soft that you can't even achieve the correct static sag...then you would have to install a additional  pre-load spacer.
Bottom line is that the spring is way too soft on those bikes. The only way to figure out the correct spring rate for your weight is by installing a let's say 20% "harder" spring, adjust static sag, measure rider sag and go to the next harder or softer spring until the sag is correct.

Offline blauth

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 08:36:14 am »

Not ideal.

The Racetech spring rate calculator is not always very accurate - and sometimes completely wrong.
You should first set your static sag to around 30mm (+/-5mm) and then measure the rider sag (should be around 1/3rd of the complete suspension travel). Chances are that the spring is so soft that you can't even achieve the correct static sag...then you would have to install a additional  pre-load spacer.
Bottom line is that the spring is way too soft on those bikes. The only way to figure out the correct spring rate for your weight is by installing a let's say 20% "harder" spring, adjust static sag, measure rider sag and go to the next harder or softer spring until the sag is correct.

Hi Mike

I bought another shock for my Rally that I installed and am very happy with the results. Do you want me to send my original shock down to you so you can do some R&D. There are a lot of okes here looking for an upgrade to their Rally shock.

When I sell my Rally, I'll keep this shock that I've put in it now and replace with the stock shock again.

Regards
Barry

Offline Crispie

• Race Dog
    • Voidcon
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 08:48:11 am »
Mine

Total 665mm
Static 635mm
Rider 565mm

Not good!

Offline Crispie

• Race Dog
    • Voidcon
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 08:52:52 am »

Not ideal.

Hi Mike

I bought another shock for my Rally that I installed and am very happy with the results. Do you want me to send my original shock down to you so you can do some R&D. There are a lot of okes here looking for an upgrade to their Rally shock.

When I sell my Rally, I'll keep this shock that I've put in it now and replace with the stock shock again.

Regards
Barry

Barry. What shock did you put in? Anything done to the front? "There are a lot of okes here looking for an upgrade to their Rally shock" - even in the rest of the world

Offline superfoxi

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 09:07:05 am »

Not ideal.

Hi Mike

Regards
Barry

Hi Barry,

Yes, that would be great.

Online deapsquatter

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 10:30:51 am »
Thanks Barry! Still weighing up options here but getting SuperFoxi to tweak the shock is a very attractive option.

Offline 171steve

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 04:25:09 pm »
Superfoxy did a amazing job on my 990 suspension.
Upgrading suspension is the best upgrade imo.

Offline RallyMan

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2018, 12:15:47 pm »
is it worth just upgrading the spring on rear shock with Racetech unit ? or better Complete shock

Offline RallyMan

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2018, 11:42:05 am »
Hyper Pro Rear  R11 000

Hyper Pro with Remote R18 000

Online sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2018, 01:33:32 pm »
Hyper Pro Rear  R11 000

Hyper Pro with Remote R18 000
Unless you are planning on keeping this bike forever I don't think investing a 6th of it's value in suspension is worth it  :P
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline RallyMan

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2018, 02:36:24 pm »
so far the suspension is working well for me 87KG Still breaking in the bike but might go for the R11 000 option if it comes to that...

Offline blauth

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2018, 06:56:25 am »
Would someone please help SuperFoxi develop the rear shock from the std shock.

You okes are all wanting to dump big mulla where right on your door step is an option that would cost only a few Rands. 

Offline RallyMan

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2018, 08:07:05 am »
Wilbur also has cheaper solutions

R2500

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S33°54.712 E018°28.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2018, 08:47:56 am »
bike@flyingbrick.co.za CHRISTOPER L 021 510 6455  service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455
sales@flyingbrick.co.za ANDRE 021 510 6455
orders@flyingbrick.co.za WERNER 021 510 6455
info@flyingbrick.co.za CHRIS G