Tire choice for Cape tour

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEON DEON

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
In the planning stages of our tour of the Cape province in December . Reading some posts of recent trips I have noticed that most of the riders run nobbies . I have fitted a set of Metzeler tourance  tires , they still new and will last the tour , but I am a little concerned that they not a good choice for the dirt-road passes . I will be riding two up on this trip and we will have top box and panniers fitted to the bike . No rush trip , we would like to see as much as we possibly  can . At this stage we plan on riding about 500 ks a day and then look for accommodation ( yes we are not booking any thing as we dont know where we will find ourselves ) and its December . done it before and no problem to find a place to stay for a night .
I just want to make sure that the bike will be up to the task . I would think the tour would be 65/70 % tar and maybe the balance good dirt roads, being two up I would not try any technical stuff  :peepwall:
We are not towing the bike , will ride from home and return 14 days later .