Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: front shock seals leaking  (Read 177 times)

Offline XT JOE

front shock seals leaking
« on: September 17, 2018, 04:40:16 pm »
We did the Canola run and got enough mud in every crevice of the GS but did a pretty good job cleaning it a few hours later. Bike stood for 2 days and i rode it again 30km later i saw my boots have a nice shine and i thought its its  all the protective spray that put on - noticed a few hours later front  forks dripping oil- shafts were wet on both sides. Can that be- mud dried on inner shaft and caused the seal to fail - just guessing. No pressure cleaner used- just normal hose pressure and some normal soaps

Bikes only got  32000km on 2013 model- ok dont shoot me for that :thumleft: - fleet owner
BEER IS PROOF GOD LOVES US.

Offline David.H

Re: front shock seals leaking
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 04:50:14 pm »
Similar thing happened to me.
Same 2013 model, 18,000km. Had to replace the fork seals after doing Sani pass. I probably took a hit, the front rim had a smiley. Had to replace the fork seals and put on an Excel rim.

Offline BlingKing

• Vendors
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 08:24:17 am »
Seals wear - they are a consumable part and are subject to a lot of dust and grime, so they will go - that is part of biking.

Two pointers - run your fingers up and down the chrome fork tubes and make sure they do not have stone pits or chips - major cause!
The other major cause, never ever tie your bike down on a trailer in a manner that will pull the front end down and create pressure on the front forks - that is sure to blow them. Rather tie the front pulling forward on the front axle - that is the correct way to do it. Come to think of it I am going to redo the video I did for Think Bike jonks ago on how to tie a bike down - you will be surprised how many people have no clue how to do it

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 08:50:22 am »
Next time pull the dust seals down and clean behind them. Try to have the forks fully extended when you do that