Xchallenge -burnt pin on fuel pump assembly(COMMON FAULT)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirt rat

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW G650 X-challenge
On the top of the fuel pump assembly is a four pin electrical connector - these are basically four metal pins connecting the inside and outside plugs to each other.
The problem is that the fourth pin to the right (OUTSIDE BROWN WIRE) generates enough heat to melt the plastic resulting in a poor connection to the fuel pump at best
and on my bike resulting in a small fuel leak which could be hidden by a small rubber seal on the outside connector plug.
After replacing a fuel filter I had a bad connection resulting in the fuel pump losing contact.
Now you have two options- replace the entire fuel pump assembly (expensive with a real possibility of exactly the same result later on) or reroute the wire causing the problem.
So I removed the assembly and the burnt pin - cut the black wire to the pump- drilled a small hole in the plastic assembly top (use the raised lug recess in the well and drill in center)
Seal the wire and leaks with Qbond and you have a long term solution to a common problem.