Why we (should) wear boots. WARNING VERY GRAPHIC!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dwerg

Born head first and brought up ankle deep
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph (all models)
Spoiler: I wasn’t wearing mine.

I didn’t want to post anything about this injury before I had a bit of clarity on recovery but it looks like I am almost out of real danger.

About six weeks ago, I clipped a pole with my bikes gear lever and footpeg at maybe 30km/h. The force of the footpeg against my foot caused degloving of my foot sole and the impact broke my big toe in three places. My foot tore open from my heel all the way to my little toe. Large parts of the foot suffered tissue damage from the impact. An incision had to be made on the top of my foot to relieve preassure from swelling and for drainage. This cut was then enlarged and used for access to put a plate on my big toe. I was in hospital for two weeks and I’ve been going for wound care twice weekly since (4 weeks) and will be for at least another 4. Probably more. This is to treat necrosis of parts of the sole as well as other areas that suffered trauma.

According to the two surgeons, wound care nurses, ER doctors.... well just everyone involved, I was extremely lucky not to have lost my foot. And even moreso that I am likely to make a relatively good recovery. I am not out of the woods yet, far from it but it at least sounds like the worst case scenario is now off the table.

I’m in two minds about posting the really graphic pics but it could serve as a warning to others and a reminder to myself. I’ll maybe save them for later so they don’t pop up at the top of the thread.

This is what my shoe looks like.

479421aeca56bddf649b92dc4d83438c.jpg

3c09ba0d98b0fbbb660aa2cacc1e816e.jpg

I have two sets of boots but I obviously wasn’t wearing either. My SG12s would’ve greatly reduced the injury but I only wear them when I plan to go offroad. For other stuff I usually use W2 adventure boots and I am not convinced there would’ve been much difference in the outcome with them over tekkies.

In the mean time I can only dream about riding for the next few months.

50464d0ca5d6403d09c1c569d5fb998f.jpg