GAGSC 2008 ... my experience

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colyn

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Let me make this very clear right at the beginning ... this is my personal view, experiences and perceptions. It is how I saw it and how different facets of the greater experience were presented to me. My record of the event is purely for entertainment and maybe there are some pieces of information that can be of value to some of the readers.

Now that the heavy stuff is out of the way I can begin to tell my story. ;)

Since I bought my first BMW, a 2005 K1200GT, I have been constantly made aware of the GS Challenge and the romantic threads woven around this experience. Many told me flatly that I can never really say that I am a biker if I do not have a GS and did not do the GS Challenge. Well, me being a fairly hard nosed old coot, shrugged my shoulders and often silently muttered ...

"WTF ... sleeping on the ground and eating dust for 4 days is not my idea of great fun."

However the future is not for us to see and more by chance than by desire I became the owner of a R1200GS during July 2008.

20080710_MG_4424.jpg

Needless to say that immediately after this the voices started to rain down on me ... "Go to the Challenge !" Some were whispered some were shouted and some were even accusing. I turned a deaf ear to most because deep inside my years of experience with motor bikes warned me that I have to make sure that I am capable of meeting the obstacles at the Challenge or it will be a nightmare and not a dream.

Let me say this ... I am not per se scared of a fall but my common sense tells me that if I should have a bad fall at my age it could be something that I will carry with me for the rest of my life or even be the reason for a sudden shortening of my life. My one son and my brother's son are both competent off road riders and from what I have seen of their antics in the dirt I instinctively knew that it was far from what I would call fun.

My friend and business partner was the one that convinced me back in 2005 to start riding again and he was also the one that influenced me to eventually buy the GS. Naturally he was also the one with the most persistent voice that I should go to the Challenge.

Without boring you with the long story it so happened that I committed to going to the 2008 GAGSC on the Monday before the event. Needless to say that it was a busy Tuesday for me to get the camping gear together. Fortunately I have prepared my bike properly during the days since I got it and I was confident that I had a decent machine for the task ... that is my opinion again.

The one thing I did not have and I was told it was vitally important to have, was a GPS. I buckled before the pressure and bought a Zumo on Tuesday afternoon and Roan fitted it. Next I downloaded the Day routes and imported them into the Zumo ... now I was set and geared ... or so I thought but more about this error in reasoning later.

Hentie from Bethlehem and a friend was destined to sleep over at Roan's place on Tuesday night and we decided to have a little going away BBQ that evening.

NB ... all images have been processed to fit the mood of the journal.

005_MG_6097.jpg

Roan entertaining us with a story of one of his off road experiences.

005_MG_6098.jpg

Highly satisfied with the impact his story made ...

005_MG_6100.jpg

005_MG_6107.jpg

The women were not as enthusiastic as the men about the trip.

It was a great evening and at around 22h00 we said our goodbyes and I headed back to my home. I still had to pack my bike. The packing did not concern me too much because I was alone on the bike and I have more than enough space available.

Wednesday morning early I packed my bike and waited for the others to pitch at my place. The two guys from Bethlehem wanted to see my new koiponds.

005_MG_6111.jpg

Gathering at my home ... full of smiles

005_MG_6112.jpg

Stopping at God's Window for the visitors to see the splendor of the Lowveld

005_MG_6125.jpg

Foto opportunity ...

005_MG_6126.jpg

005_MG_6127.jpg

005_MG_6128.jpg

005_MG_6129.jpg

005_MG_6135.jpg

005_MG_6140.jpg

005_MG_6144.jpg

005_MG_6146.jpg

Traveling through the breathtaking Lowveld Escarpment gives one a lot of time to think and a lot of reminders of how lucky we are to be living in such a stunning country. It also allows me a lot of time to think about my life and my goals.

I thought a lot about what lied ahead and I had many doubts. One thing was for sure ... I did not have any plans to fall, I had no desire to compete with anybody and I had nod intention or inclination to damage my bike. All of it very noble thoughts now that I think back on it and the throbbing pain in my knee is a gentle reminder that all our best intentions are not always the way things will go.

Now I need to take a break first ...