Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: A run in Lima  (Read 1042 times)

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
A run in Lima
« on: September 29, 2008, 07:07:22 am »
We received out Bikes yesterday, so naturally they had to be run in today. I found a aggregate quarry about 5 minutes riding from our house in Lima so this was the obvious spot to go for a quiet Sunday play. We werenâ??t too energetic after Friday night´s celebrations (go on say it: We´re sissies who can´t handle it. I prefer to say we are too old), and D wanted to get more experience on a plastic bike before getting onto her 650, so she kindly lent hers to 3Drink for the afternoon.

Now let me take this opportunity to introduce you to my great friend 3Drink (Drie Drink). Here is 3Drink posing in his Goldwing protective gear.

He would have introduced himself but apart from the fact that he knew he would be lectured on his lack of ATGATT, he is the shy type and feels he is not worthy because he doesnâ??t have a bike at the moment, and after reading all your posts I think he is intimidated indeed. This from a guy who had a Goldwing on the dirt when he was in South Africa, and who was asked by his Dutch mate please not to scrape the pegs of their Shadow on the corners on the way to world cup rugby in France last year. But he knows his stuff and put me to shame, even though he was taking it easy due to lack of gear (and more importantly, it was D´s bike!!).

Oh he´s also a Bluebull supporter but donâ??t let that detract from those of you in the Cape! He promises me he wants to get a KTM 990 in February so that he can join us on our South American ventures. It´s now up to you to help me encourage him to actually do this.

So off we went to this quarry. The main gate was locked, so we spend 15 interesting minutes riding through a shanty town looking for another way in. This is what we found:

« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 07:08:27 am by BlueBull2007 »
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
Re: A run in Lima
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 07:12:33 am »
The place was full of tracks. Sand, gravel, fine stuff steep slope and water. Almost all you could have asked for. The Nissan guys were here the day before doing advanced off road 4x4 courses.

Lima is actually on the coast, but in a desert, very much like Swakopmund, you can see even the weather is similar.

Of course the only guy to have an off this afternoon was me. I gently let the bike go down on this steep downhill (see tracks).

Im not sure what happened, I locked the back brake and squeezed the front, but the back slid round and down I went. At least is wasnt on the highside.

Then we decided to have a go in the loose gravel, this was helluva fun. here is windgaty himself parking his boney without the sidestand.

Im just glad I managed to stay on top.

Deftly avioding the whoops

Here is 3Drink showing me how it should be done on a uphill curve. Note the Goldwing offroad technique: Ass firmly ensconed on the seat, long legs ready to shoot out at a moments notice.  :mwink:

The sand in places was extremly fine, that bull dust stuff.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 07:32:11 am by BlueBull2007 »
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Matroos (aka JJred)

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 07:27:50 am »
Grear BB,

Keep it coming, that place looks like the iseal terrain in which to practise riding techniques

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 07:54:26 am »

The bikes look cool enough here, but we sukkeled our asses off trying to turn the bikes around in fine, soft gravel

After that we stopped for a rest, here is BB sucking it up like a true oxygen thief.

Looking accross the valley we saw some interesting (read dodgey) mining techniques.

Then we hit the steep hills which was great.

3Drink thought he could cruise up the hill and stalled. Clutch in, and front brake on, he started backwards and began to pick up speed. Luckily for him he had long legs and managed to keep up the pedal rate on the ground as he gained momentum. To the bike´s credit, when he remembered to engage the gear it brought him to a halt, narrowly averting a session of weeping and wailing and nashing of teeth.  :biggrin:

It was quite tricky in the soft stuff, and as can bee seen from my second trip up the hill, I nearly lost it as well.

But with some positive thinking I managed to make it up without killing the bike.

Checking for the next service.....

It was a great day and we made it back in one piece without being stopped by any cops. Time to celebrate:

« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 08:07:33 am by BlueBull2007 »

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 08:02:53 am »
eish what a play ground. Glad to see you enjoying the bike. Ride hard play hard.

Offline Hoofseun

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 02:43:30 pm »
Looks cool, it must be a good feeling having the bikes after such a long wait.  Tell D to take it slow and go out for the fun.

Zanda's bike is also nearly ready for the first long trip.  Got the higher screen today for R1200.00 vat inclusive and it looks cool.  Will fit tonight and sent you an update soon.

Enjoy the lekka riding, when you come back you can show us at Coutry Trax how to do it!!!
"You are never to old to learn something new"

Johan Gray
BMW R 1200GS L/C

Offline Hoofseun

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 02:56:33 pm »
Fitted the higher screen last nite, went for a short ride and Zanda is impressed!  Now we can go and ride our long comfortable trip.

Ta
"You are never to old to learn something new"

Johan Gray
BMW R 1200GS L/C

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Matchless (all models)
  • Just a girl on a bike!
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 03:16:09 pm »
Wow!  Impressive!  Looks like a lot of fun too!  :thumleft:
They call me Judy or Judes...

You need chaos in your soul to birth a shining star!