Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Thinking of buying a Sony DSLR - any comments ?  (Read 774 times)

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
Thinking of buying a Sony DSLR - any comments ?
« on: September 29, 2008, 10:40:39 am »
Hi there!

My wife (Rogue on the forum) have a Minolta Maxxim 500i 35mm SLR (broken), but also have a couple of nice goodies for it (lenses and such).

So now (seeing that Sony bought the camera rights from Konika-Minolta) we can buy a Sony and still have use for the lenses wihtout having to buy new ones.

Orms in CapeTown have the A-200 now for R4500.

Does anyone know these cameras ?

Thanks!

http://www.orms.co.za/product.php?a=view&product=1466

« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 10:41:37 am by Eisbein »
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Fugly

Re: Thinking of buying a Sony DSLR - any comments ?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 11:17:13 am »
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra200/

Hope this helps, it is a detailed review of the camera you are looking at. To change to the next page, just select the menue as shown:-

Donít worry about things that arenít, worry about things that are and your decisions are so much easier to make!

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 11:21:25 am »
Thanks!

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Colyn

• Shutterbug
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • K1200LT - R1200GS
    • Tripwired
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 11:22:53 am »
Unless you really have lots of glass and they are high quality and expensive I don't think you should make that the reason for your choice. From what I know the SLR lenses are not so great around the Digital SLR's ... they work but you would most probably loose or not get a lot of the dSLR functionality from them.

@ 4500.00 your getting close to what a entry level Canon dSLR or Nikon or even Pentax would cost. Canon is my choice because there are so many around and that means plenty bargains for second hand stuff available.

BTW ... dpreview.com is an excellent source of information ... mostly unbiased and straight down the barrel.
Never underestimate the power of denial.
Briek Merke ... wat ek so hier en daar op my lewenspad sien of los.

Offline Lourens ツ

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 11:24:29 am »
The Sony's are good cameras.  You might be limited with the lens range but I'm also not up to date with what is available.   If you are going to get more serious about photography you must have good additional lenses available.  Good lenses makes good photos and camera bodies becomes almost disposable with a new model.
Lourens de Lange

2014 XT1200ZE

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 11:40:45 am »
Thanks, guys - I also like the Canons more.

The thing is that we have a Sigma 75-300 lense and a Sigma flash already (equivalent nowadays for those two would be about R4500 to R5000) and a couple of filters (not that that is an issue - it depends only on the diameter of the lense in front)

I LOVED old Minolta and to get the same lenses with a Canon would probably put everything over R10k ?

Orms said I must bring the lenses to them and then they'll let me play with the camera and the existing lenses.

I don't want to have to save for R10k if I don't have to, but then I also don't want to spend R4500 on the wrong thing...

???

:-\

Offline Colyn

• Shutterbug
  • K1200LT - R1200GS
    • Tripwired
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 03:04:30 pm »
I understand what you are saying Eisbein ... I have Takumar Lenses from 17mm to 800mm that I used on my Pentax cameras but when I weighed the pros and cons up I decided that going digital is already a big step and it is senseless to make existing equipment force my decision in a direction that will not have the same expansion abilities.

Auto Focus is extremely handy and the dSLR lenses are made to cope with the capabilities of the camera.

I do not know what your application is but you should really consider buying second hand if you do not do this for a living. There are plenty 300D and 350D cameras around at good and sometimes crazy prices.  Trawl the photo forums and you will be amazed ... I bought some kit at 40% of ticket price and they were brand new.

Offline JAmBer

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Reborn Dakar
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 07:54:30 pm »
Contrary to what Colyn says, if you choose your body carefully, you get full functionality that the lens offers. My Nikon D80 works perfectly with lenses from the 1970s! For the most part, it comes down to how the autofocus is driven (if the lens has an internal motor, or if it is driven by the body). If you buy a body that has this built-in motor, you can use all the lenses. The Nikon D40/D40x, for example, don't have this.

But, I too would strongly urge you to rather buy a Nikon or Canon. When it comes to DSLRs, your biggest expense is the glass, not the body. You'll probably end up replacing your body in a few years' time, but you'll keep your glass for much longer.

I don't know much about the 75-300mm that you own, but Nikon have 70-300/5.6 lenses starting at $120! I bought one and it's crap, btw, but the point is that you could potentially replace your existing investment relatively cheaply unless it's very expensive glass. The flash is another matter, but I got my SB600 for ~R1200 from Amazon (you'll need a friend in the USA!) And it needs to be said that flash functionality has come a long way since the early days of SLRs - this thing is wireless!

Nikon and Canon are the big players and if you're going to be investing in SLRs, you're better-off going with one of them. This way, you won't end up in your current position again (having glass and no body for it!)

Not only are the Canon/Nikon ranges bigger, but the glass and accessories are cheaper and more readily available. As you probably know, the body is only a small portion of the total cost of ownership of an SLR.

Before buying a camera, I would suggest you go'n play with them in the store. When I bought my camera a year ago, I almost got the Canon Rebel XTi (400D), because it was much cheaper and is technically much the same thing as the Nikon D80. However, a friend suggested I try them first and after playing with them, I found the Nikon much more intuitive and the controls easier to use. The Nikon was also a little bigger and heavier and it felt "right" to me. At the end of the day, you don't want to be fiddling with the camera to get it to do what you want. You should be able to change things quickly without having to dig into menus to get the shot you want, before it passes-you-by ! They should be natural to use. That said, many of my friends have the 350D and 400D and say they got used to the controls. So maybe you can learn 'em. I don't want this to turn into a Canon vs Nikon thread!

Both Canon and Nikon now have new ranges out, and I am not intimately familiar with either, so I can't make a recommendation to you. But dpreview is a great resource. Use it to narrow your options down and then go'n play with your shortlist in a store to make the final decision.

Offline Colyn

• Shutterbug
  • K1200LT - R1200GS
    • Tripwired
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 10:37:50 pm »
Hmmm Jamber ... ok you say contrary to what Colyn say .... and then you say choose your body carefully ... problem with that is that he does not have a wide range to choose from if he wants to use his current glass. ;)

Offline JAmBer

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Reborn Dakar
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 05:18:52 am »
My apologies, Colyn. I understood you to be implying that older lenses cannot be made to work on new dSLRs. That is not the case. In fact, two of my current lenses are non-SWM. But yes, you will need to be careful about which body you buy if you want that full compatibility. Else, you're stuck with manual focus!

As a rule of thumb, the entry-level dSLRs can't do this.

But this is besides the point, because, I don't think he should invest in a Sony body!

« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 05:20:02 am by JAmBer »